• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

I went to lake Scugog today evening just to fish for hours from the shores.

There was bit of a north wind constantly blowing. It wasn't too bad but it was getting little chill for me.

Unlike last time I went there, I actually saw 2 alive? carp swimming around. darn these #(*%ers are tough eh?

So yeah anyways,,, I started tossing a ScumFrog to some weedy area in hope for some topwater action but didn't even see any splash.
So I started tossing a pink color BPS brand of soft stick bait to one of my super secret area and I caught a bunch of rock bass. I was practicing using circle hook hook-setting in wacky style. Not too long after I hook in to this small walleye...

Posted Image

--
Now I move to another shore spot... my super duper secret yet every so popular shore spot. :)

I was just playing around with my Rapala 2" Original Floater enticing those bluegills for some kick ass topwater action. I tell you those panfish go crazy attacking my little rapala. (Low hook set percentage). Still fun.
Casting far enough is the main challenge but if you cast to right spot you sure will get some surprise !!

What surprise? My First ever SMALLMOUTH BASS !!!

Posted Image
WOW! What a kick ass fight smallmouth gives you. It was so much fun! It sure give a lot of stronger fight than same size Largemouth bass. It was amazing!!
---

So now after a while... I started playing with somewhat lower quality looking BPS 5" dark purple soft stick bait, texas rigged...
even tho it was sunset hour, due to crap weather there really wasn't any action in the water.
BUT, I did hook in to what look like my personal best fay-so largemouth bass.

Posted Image

This one sure gave me a good fight aswell.
----------

As you can see form the picture, largemouth those look fatter, bigger but it was just fatter. Both were exactly 15" long. But I have to say, smallie gave better fight. Than again I caught smallie on my medium action uglystick spinner where as largemouth was caught on my med. heavy baitcast setup.

So yeah, I did enjoy these few hours of fishing.

Maybe I should buy myself a scale.
Anyone have a scale? If so, what you got?

#2 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

Never knew there is smallmouth in lake scugog.

#3 paw

paw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:35 AM

congrads on your first smallie! I usually fish off Caesarea, but only been there once this year and i got skunked.
Is there still alot of dead carp floating around and does it smell bad?
I got a Rapala digital scale from BPS when it was on sale last year.

thnx for the amazing report mikey!

paw

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

Nice report MikeyMikey.

The smallmouth bass sure give a much better fight than the LM!

I can't believe you caught a walley on a wackey rig! (If I read it right)

I assume your super-secret yet popular spot is the hwy 7 causway.

#5 paw

paw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

LOL expose by the rock mesh :)

#6 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:15 AM

my belief is that...

if fish are in a small area

if they are hungry

if you toss anything near

it'll bite regardless

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Good job!

I fish off caesarea and the causeway and do really well in terms of walleye. Gone maybe over a 15 times this year and have been skunked only twice.

The bass are really biting at the causeway though. Been there once this year and saw a total of about 9 bass caught...all within 1/2 hour or so. Biggest was a smallmouth around 3-4 lbs.

#8 toober

toober

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

Would anyone object to moving this thread to the general discussion area? It's a good thread, but there's really nothing to protect, is there? Scugog is large and well-known.

By the way, nice fishies MikeyMikey!

toober

#9 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Yes, I guess you can move this to the General Thread area.

#10 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

Good job!

I fish off caesarea and the causeway and do really well in terms of walleye. Gone maybe over a 15 times this year and have been skunked only twice.

The bass are really biting at the causeway though. Been there once this year and saw a total of about 9 bass caught...all within 1/2 hour or so. Biggest was a smallmouth around 3-4 lbs.

Caesarea? I've never actually been to that area... care to share to location?

#11 Senko

Senko

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

Ceaserea is a town on the east of of scugog. There is a public dock that everyone fishs at. Their is also Port Perry where you can fish, there is a trail that goes from the ferry dock all the way to the causeways. If you guys want big fish you can go to BOQ in the fall. There is a few places you can fish from shore to nail some big eyes.

#12 Bryan22

Bryan22

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

Tried out Scugog for the first time today. Pretty much stayed on the dock at the end of water street (didnt know where else to go). After trying out a bunch of lures with no luck, finally decided to break out the worm and hook for some sunfish fun. Managed a few sunfish and rockbass and one small walleye Posted Image

#13 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

Nice catch !! The smile on your face says it all :) btw, it was nice meeting you at one of the ponds the other day ! I ended up going to another spot the next day, the wind was bad, but I caught a descent smallie :) Gotta post a report about that. Today, I was thinking of going downtown (so bored), but now I'm thinking I might even go a little more east :D

#14 Bryan22

Bryan22

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

It was great meeting you too Snypa! Its always nice to put a face to a name :)

#15 kaiser

kaiser

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

very useful infor man!thanks for posting

#16 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:10 PM