• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Bvillefish2

Bvillefish2

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

That's interesting about using a short rod because I was temped to buy a bigger rod. Now i guess I won't and save my money for a boat. Thanks for the advise Openfire...

Marc

#22 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

That's interesting about using a short rod because I was temped to buy a bigger rod. Now i guess I won't and save my money for a boat. Thanks for the advise Openfire...

Marc

Don't misunderstand me, a long rod is definitely preferred!

#23 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

The reason why a long rod is helpful is because steelhead bite with alot of force and having a long rod acts like a shock absorber and helps to prevent the line from breaking. There are guys out there with 15-18ft rods who are using 2- 4lb test to fight the fish. The shorter you go with the rod, the heavier line you will need, generally speaking.

#24 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

The reason why a long rod is helpful is because steelhead bite with alot of force and having a long rod acts like a shock absorber and helps to prevent the line from breaking. There are guys out there with 15-18ft rods who are using 2- 4lb test to fight the fish. The shorter you go with the rod, the heavier line you will need, generally speaking.

I think that's also why carp fishermen use really long rods too, helps to tire out the fish quickly but at the sametime lets one be able to use a lighter line ! I know of a few carpers that fish the harbor/islands area, they'll use fairly light line even tho those fish are fairly big. I guess the same applies for steelhead :)

#25 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

I would like some tips on how to drift fish using spinning reel as oppose to float reel.

What are the advantages, disavantages, difference, why, why not, blah blah blah... etc.

Thanks.

#26 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

When drifting with a spinning reel, the tention on the line while drifting towards you becomes slack. With a centre pin(flaot reel) you can control the amount of slack whether its infront of you are floating downstream away from you.The flow of the river starts the reel moving (inertia) and it will gradully take line off the reel as its needed, thus when your float goes down you set the hook much faster due to less line out.
Also, with a longer rod (STOP RIGHT THERE MIKEY!)..when setting the hook you are picking up more line much more quicky then a shorter rod, thus faster and more immediate hook sets.
Hope I explained this well enough for you. :wink: :wink:

#27 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yeah... so... how should people with longer ROD but spinning reel should drift ? Exactly the same but with line slack ?

#28 longsilver

longsilver

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

When drifting with a spinning reel, the tention on the line while drifting towards you becomes slack. With a centre pin(flaot reel) you can control the amount of slack whether its infront of you are floating downstream away from you.The flow of the river starts the reel moving (inertia) and it will gradully take line off the reel as its needed, thus when your float goes down you set the hook much faster due to less line out.
Also, with a longer rod (STOP RIGHT THERE MIKEY!)..when setting the hook you are picking up more line much more quicky then a shorter rod, thus faster and more immediate hook sets.
Hope I explained this well enough for you. :( :?:

Hmm, I'm either misreading this or missing how a center pin/drifting reel works. What I understand from what you've written is this; that you can cast upstream and the center pin reel will take up the slack as your float comes back past you and then on it's own pay it back out? How does it pick up the slack? Real light backpressure?

#29 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hope I explained this well enough for you. :( :?:

Hmm, I'm either misreading this or missing how a center pin/drifting reel works. What I understand from what you've written is this; that you can cast upstream and the center pin reel will take up the slack as your float comes back past you and then on it's own pay it back out? How does it pick up the slack? Real light backpressure?

When you cast up-stream, you simply raise the rod tip to pick up the slack - - When you're using a 13 - 15 ft rod (which most pin-guys do), that will be sufficient, providing that you haven't casted too far upstream.

#30 longsilver

longsilver

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

ah, that makes sense then. I can do something similiar with my 12.5 and spinning reel I just have to pay it out by hand.

#31 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

Openfire is right.
You can use the length of the rod OR work the reel with your pinky finger, the reel runs freely and spins VERY easily.(With a new reel with no line on it, spin it hard once, and she will go for 2-3 minutes!)

Once the float is basically in front of you then you stop "working" the reel with your finger...the line will be taught, now the speed of the current (and inertia) will start the reel to "unwind" and it will slowly let out line as per the speed of the current, thus keeping your line fairly tight. One you float goes down, a quick hook set ..you will hear the whipping sound of the rod, fish on. Then the fun comes. No drag on these reels so its all you , the rod will take most of the work, (with a 13-15'er you can use light line) you control the drag with the palm of you hand. (Second best thing you can do with your palms Mikey! :?: )

Very hard to master the cast but a whole lotta fun when you get some practice in. Once you use the pin you will never go back!

#32 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:03 AM

Ahhh, I didn't realize that they were also bringing line back onto the reel with the pinkie finger as the float comes towards them. Very interesting!

#33 longsilver

longsilver

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Very interesting indeed. I tried out the 12.5' with the spinning reel for the first time yesterday at Wilmont Creek; no even a nibble though I'm staring to figure out how to fish with it, so I guess the day wasn't a complete loss.

#34 longsilver

longsilver

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Oh, and thanks openfire, based on your report I picked up two backs of the gulp minnows to try out. One rainbow like you were using and the other one smelt. Looks like it could be good once the season opens further up the creeks.

#35 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

Will try there for sure.Just waiting for gas price to go down.lol

#36 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

Will try there for sure.Just waiting for gas price to go down.lol

I would not wait. Oil went to 130.00 a barrel today!

#37 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

Has any1 there recently.If yes how was it.let us know.

#38 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

Ahhh, I didn't realize that they were also bringing line back onto the reel with the pinkie finger as the float comes towards them. Very interesting!

Sorry missed this one...
Yes, you are letting line out when you cast up stream,,,then putting it back on basically the same speed as the current, thatway the line stays tight(rod tip always either down or stright out infront, that way when you LIFT up on the rod quickly, it picks up 12-14' of line and sets the hook extremely fast!!)
Now, once the float is in front of you, the line still being tight, as the float moves down stream (good reels $) will automatically start with inertia, and the line will come off the reel at the same sped as the current again.
This way the line is always tight!
A spinning reel will work, you just cant put the line back on the reel as it is coming downstream towards you. (it is possible but hte "give and take" of line is hard to do winding and unwinding)
Clear as mud yet? lmao

If I have out my 10' river rod and spinning outfit I usually bottom bounce....just dont do it in a crowd of drfiters, you may be swimming yourself!

#39 Chad

Chad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Nice report i guess i need to re do mine again if thats the standard, does the place have to be a small pond that no one goes to or can it be a nice little lake. I do not have pictures of where i was could i use a google maps picture or such and i didn't know where the heck i was nsew seeing as it was my first time on those body of waters

#40 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Nice report i guess i need to re do mine again if thats the standard, does the place have to be a small pond that no one goes to or can it be a nice little lake. I do not have pictures of where i was could i use a google maps picture or such and i didn't know where the heck i was nsew seeing as it was my first time on those body of waters

Well it should include a map...yes google maps work well...and some pictures of the fish...and any body of water is acceptable I believe, just don`t write reports about fishing outta season, infact just don`t fish out of season for things at all. hoped that helps