• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

well, decided to give the pike a try at Bayfront Park in Hamilton just after the opener. i picked a miserable day to get out fishing. but decided to brave the elements and give it a go. got down to the harbour around 10am. and proceeded to pound the shoreline. had a plan to throw jerkbaits and jointed rapalas. after a snag and breaking the back treble off one of my xraps i moved to some deeper waters. i would start by casting either bait out and then retrieving it in and doin this in a umbrelle pattern to cover all the water i was facing. then, go back along the same pattern to my starting point, but using a different retrieve. faster then slow, slow then fast, longer pauses, more jerks of the bait... u get the point. then, put that rod down, pick up the other and throw out along the same areas as the last, giving the fish 2 different baits and many different speeds and looks at them. while fishing off a point insidw the marina off some large rocks, i had a big hit on my jointed rapala. a size 12 in a baby pike pattern. to my enjoyment, it was no pike, but instead a very healthy 3.2Lb Largemouth bass. after a quick weigh on the scale and a picture from a passer by, she was put back so i can catch her when the season opens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After that, the action was not slow persay... but more like non exsistant. i didn;t get another strike, let alone fish the rest of the day,. i packed it in around 4pm and headed home. for my efforts, i broke 1 treble hook off an Xrap, lost another xrap. and got really wet. as i said, the weather was brutal. windy, cold and raining, all day long. still had an enjoyable day though. covered lots of water, got lots of practice casting. we have a tremendous fishery in the hamilton harbour. not only for rough fish like carp and sheepshead. but also catfish, perch, crappie, trout and salmon and some big pike and bass! its a great place and spring and summer to take the kids, with a simple worm and hook they can catch all the catfish they can count. great place to get a youngster hooked for life on fishing! anyone interested in goin down and seing some of the areas i fish, by all means, shoot me a PM! its not a secret spot by any means! happy fishin fella's!

this is a map of the area, still figuring out the map thing here and how to show things, but u can see i have highlighted the boat launch, a free public launch.
Posted Image

#2 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

thx for the report

#3 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the map, Nice Bass, can`t wait till my first bass of the year, got 4 pike, but thats it so far.

#4 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

lol, i;ve had at least a dozen bass already!! most were smaller ones, around a pound or so, could in the 1.5lb range and 2 that were over 3lbs each. once the season opens... think i'll be able to find one?? lol, prolly not!

#5 idesign

idesign

Perch

• Active Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Can any1 tell me if we get ticket for taking off season fish.

#6 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

yes u can and will be severely fined for keeping out of season fish. they also have the right to confiscate anythin used to catch those fish, including fishing gear, and tackle, boat, and car. the penalties are steep and they take it very seriously.

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

nice bass uglyfish... at least there was no complete skunking...those are the worst days, when you don't even get a sniff.

idesign, as was mentioned, don't even think about taking out of season fish. They are not even allowed to be targetted out of season. You will get a big fine with confiscation of equipment and possibly license so you won't get to fish again. Not only is it illegal to take out of season fish, it is unethical. There are reasons for a season... mostly so that they have substantial time and numbers to reproduce and properly contribute to the population. Leave them alone to spawn, and if you catch one accidentally on a nest, once released, they will resume their guard, so always release out of season bass, or any other out of season fish. A quick weighing on a scale and a quick photo is okay, but release afterwards.

#8 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

definately don't take fish out of season even if noone is around.

#9 chibi

chibi

Sunfish

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

nice catch =). sounds like it was a good day.

and i like your comment about placing it back so you can catch it when the season opens. when i catch little wee ones, i tell them to grow big while i put them back into the water hahaha.

#10 UglyFish

UglyFish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

she was a big girl aready, i told her to be careful and go make babies for me to catch in a few years! lol.

#11 McLean

McLean

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

Nice fish man, I live in Burlington and have yet to make it to the Harbour over thei. Really im not quite sure how to get their,lol.
I know thats terrible but I dont know hamilton that well and all the one way streets really screw me up.
Again beautiful fish
chris

#12 jayeagar

jayeagar

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

I just tried some minnows down at that same boat launch but didn't get anything. I moved down a bit past the sail boats and i pulled out 7 Perch and bass a little smaller than yours. Lots of fun!

#13 feenstra32

feenstra32

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

Is that spot a good place for pike? I'm looking to get some fishing in this year and I live in that area. Bass doesn't open till next week so I'm hoping to get out there this sunday and try some pike.

#14 UglyFish27

UglyFish27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

theres lot of pike in there and some big ones too. but they get tough to catch as it gets warmer.