• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

http://coastwatch.gl... ... n=o&page=1

If you're waiting for ice to melt and for the spring panfishing to start on cooks bay/simcoe...keep close watch on this.
Usually once cooks bay opens up, the fishing starts.

#2 Snypa

Snypa

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hey FF, I went icefishing on Monday, the ice is still pretty thick in some spots surprisingly (at least around Roches Point), when I got to my hut the first thing I did was check the ice thickness, it was around 16 inches, even with the mild weather we had that weekend, so needless to say I was still a little weary about going out on the ice. The good news was, I was coinfident we would be quite safe, and the operator we were using knows his stomping grounds well, he had this 6 wheeled argo w/ enclosed canopy, that can float on water (very safe way of getting out) I'll post a report w/ pics soon, we pretty much had the place to ourselves, it seems as though everyone thought it was unsafe, it turned out to a be a great day, and it even got sunny towards lunch. I have to say, Whitey (Simcoe Fishing Adventures) is the man to goto for icefishing at simcoe, he has the deals, and he positioned his huts nicely to deeper weedbeds in about 40 ft. of water. Fishing was great, not even one dink, had a lot of fun using my Frabill Fin-S Ultra-light (purchased it last year), that combo is soo sensitive could feel every little nudge & bump from the perch, limited out very quickly, there must've been a school of a 100s of them at one point under us.

As for the ice melting soon, I think it will so long as we get consistent mild weather, which I'm hoping for as I want to go ultra-lighting the first chance I get.

#3 eze76

eze76

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Snypa i went ice fishing at the end on Jan and i went with pete's huts which was at cooks bay, didnt catch nothing but it was fun.

Next year im going to go with whitey or Terry Goy

#4 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

can't wait to see the report snypa! I'm totally with you on the itch to go ultra-lighting!

eze76, is that your porcupine puffer in your avatar?

#5 eze76

eze76

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

No, jus googled it :lol: :?: ....

Wish i had one

#6 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

do you keep fish eze76?

#7 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

I've been looking at that site daily!
Makes me so sad that even with all these warm temps the thaw isn't coming any faster. :lol:

#8 eze76

eze76

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Bala what do u mean like in general when i go fishing??

If so then no im a rookie fisherman and haven't done it yet

#9 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Bala what do u mean like in general when i go fishing??

If so then no im a rookie fisherman and haven't done it yet

no, i meant in an aquarium as pets

#10 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

Went out to Cooks bay a few times this winter. WEnt out at Gilford. got my limit 2 times out of 6 trips.

Posted Image

#11 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

nice haul ridx!
i see you also managed some nice rockbass as well. i wonder how often they are caught through the ice.

#12 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

nice haul ridx!
i see you also managed some nice rockbass as well. i wonder how often they are caught through the ice.

last winter i caught rockbass quite often through the ice, just sat on the edge of my dock and dropped a jig through the hole, i should have tried this year

#13 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

The rock bass didn't seem to hit as well as the perch when they were under me. That day it was like they took turns, School of perch then a school of rock bass the bass jsut didnt wanna take my minnows..

#14 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

The rock bass didn't seem to hit as well as the perch when they were under me. That day it was like they took turns, School of perch then a school of rock bass the bass jsut didnt wanna take my minnows..

they didn't want your minnows?????? i've caught rockbass on everything from a leaf on a hook to a jubjub, and the jubjub wasn't on a hook :)