Photo

Canal Lake, fishing for pike - any tips ??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

As I posted here: http://ontariofishin...-p-ǃ-t1971.html , I would really LOVE to catch a pike.

I was thinking of going to Canal Lake http://www.fishonlin...Canal-Lake.html

I read some articles and online posts where people saying that there is a LOT of (small ) pike in this lake, some of them were almost complaining that there is too much pike in this lake. Since it does not matter to me, pike small or big, (just give me ANY SIZE pike) I was wondering if anyone has experience fishing this lake for pike.
Any info, inputs, tips, specific spots & locations that you could help me with - it would be greatly appreciated !

Also, if you think that you know better place for pike fishing (from shore as I do not have a boat) please do not be shy to recommend, all inputs are greatly appreciated !

Thanks

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

It's true...canal lake does have lots of smaller sized pike...i've seen them myself a few years back... either sunning themselves are hiding in the weeds. easily spooked from shore though...
the two shore spots seen on the map (on link you posted) will give you pike

#3 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

I've yet to have even caught a single fish there after 3 or 4 outings. I don't know whether if I would go back myself personally.
I haven't seen any pike there myself because I've only went at night, and from shore, good luck there. If I were fishing there again, I would probably just throw on a float and a 3 inch artificial of some sort (I'd probably use gulp), and fish the water like I was fishing for crappie.
The crappie fishing tactic really isn't bad. I've caught pretty much every type of fish on it, from panfish to muskie.

#4 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have a cottage on Canal Lake so I can affirm there is very good pike fishing to be had. The spots on the site are good ones to check out. The best lure to use on the lake for pike is a light weight, white spinnerbait, single tear-drop blade, trailer hook a must. This lure will allow you to plow through those weeds. I can "almost" guarantee you'll hook into a pike with that bait, emphasis on almost if they're hungry, but your chances are very good to excellent.

There are many smallish fish, but you do get a bigger one once in a while. I've been nailing some better ones this year so far.

When are you going? Drop me a PM; ec1 I'm suprised that you didnt catch anything. The causeway bridge is heavily pressured. If you have a float or a canoe just 30 meters into the lake is an amazing spot. It's where the old Talbot River used to flow and it's basin is a litlle deeper than most of the lake. Canal is a man-made lake, flooded when constructing the trent system.

Another good spot for shore fishing is where the boat launch is. Just walk North on past the causway bridge, the road bends right and it should be on your right hand side. Wading in the water is good to get in there a bit more.

Don't forget your senkos, worms and jointed rapalas as the largies are probably on right now.

Reefrunner

#5 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

It's true...canal lake does have lots of smaller sized pike...i've seen them myself a few years back... either sunning themselves are hiding in the weeds. easily spooked from shore though...
the two shore spots seen on the map (on link you posted) will give you pike

Good, this is encouraging to hear and gives me more motivation to go. In fact, I might go as soon as tomorrow afternoon, stay there and continue fishing saturday all day.

#6 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

I've yet to have even caught a single fish there after 3 or 4 outings. I don't know whether if I would go back myself personally.
I haven't seen any pike there myself because I've only went at night, and from shore, good luck there. If I were fishing there again, I would probably just throw on a float and a 3 inch artificial of some sort (I'd probably use gulp), and fish the water like I was fishing for crappie.
The crappie fishing tactic really isn't bad. I've caught pretty much every type of fish on it, from panfish to muskie.

Thanks for your input too ! I just got encouraged bu post from frozenfire, then this is bit discouraging, but, what the heck. I am going anyways, rain or shine

#7 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

I have a cottage on Canal Lake so I can affirm there is very good pike fishing to be had. The spots on the site are good ones to check out. The best lure to use on the lake for pike is a light weight, white spinnerbait, single tear-drop blade, trailer hook a must. This lure will allow you to plow through those weeds. I can "almost" guarantee you'll hook into a pike with that bait, emphasis on almost if they're hungry, but your chances are very good to excellent.

There are many smallish fish, but you do get a bigger one once in a while. I've been nailing some better ones this year so far.

When are you going? Drop me a PM; ec1 I'm suprised that you didnt catch anything. The causeway bridge is heavily pressured. If you have a float or a canoe just 30 meters into the lake is an amazing spot. It's where the old Talbot River used to flow and it's basin is a litlle deeper than most of the lake. Canal is a man-made lake, flooded when constructing the trent system.

Another good spot for shore fishing is where the boat launch is. Just walk North on past the causway bridge, the road bends right and it should be on your right hand side. Wading in the water is good to get in there a bit more.

Don't forget your senkos, worms and jointed rapalas as the largies are probably on right now.

Reefrunner

Hey Reefrunner,

Thanks a million !!!, for this info !!!! Much appreciated and I was lucky enough to get input from you who is very familiar with the lake. Even though forecast for this weekend calls for rain, I am very tempted to go tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, sleep there somewhere around Canal Lake in my van and then continue fishing all day Saturday, maybe even on Sunday morning too.

I never been to Canal Lake before. I guess I need to add white spinner bait to my assortment, as I do not have one. Also , I have to check out how this thing with trailer hook works, as I never used it before. I do not have float or canoe, but if you say that only 30 m from shore there is a good spot, I am confident that I can reach that. If any wading through water will be needed , I have a chest wader too.

Thanks again, will send you PM

#8 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I used to fish Canal (from a tin can) years ago. I had huge success throwing jerkbaits. Jerkbaits all the time for me at Canal. I should go back sometime lol. I miss that lake.

#9 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Don't let my post throw you off. Go for it!
About 10 years ago, it used to be awesome for crappie! I just never went back until last year and this year.

#10 durham-fisher

durham-fisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

trolling or wat ever your doing, rapala husky jerks are a must. try some big williams wablers(red devils) or jsut shiny spoons. i know i ahve had some major success on mepps syclops 3. Every single pattern available for the syclops i have gotten multiple pike on. just give the bait some action, piss off a few pike and catch some fish

#11 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Don't let my post throw you off. Go for it!
About 10 years ago, it used to be awesome for crappie! I just never went back until last year and this year.

Thanks, I did check it out but did not have luck. But we had very nice time fishing with reefrunner, got some nice bass instead of pike.

#12 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

trolling or wat ever your doing, rapala husky jerks are a must. try some big williams wablers(red devils) or jsut shiny spoons. i know i ahve had some major success on mepps syclops 3. Every single pattern available for the syclops i have gotten multiple pike on. just give the bait some action, piss off a few pike and catch some fish

Thanks for this tip durham-fisher . I definitely need to add some mepps syclops to my lure assortment.

#13 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

My pike curse is finally OVER ! Thanks reefrunner for all your help !

http://ontariofishin....php?f=2&t=2003

#14 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

I can't access the link provided; but am pleased to hear you finally got slimed! Congratulations.

#15 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

I can't access the link provided; but am pleased to hear you finally got slimed! Congratulations.

I will send you all details later on , I am just at the door leaving my house

#16 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

No worries. A just a pic of the esox accompanied by a smile on this post would suffice/Did ya end up hooking into pike in Mountsberg?

As you were saying when we fished this past weekend; now you've accomplished your goal for the season! That's totally awsome.

#17 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

No worries. A just a pic of the esox accompanied by a smile on this post would suffice/Did ya end up hooking into pike in Mountsberg?

As you were saying when we fished this past weekend; now you've accomplished your goal for the season! That's totally awsome.

Yes, we went to Mountsberg. Please check your PM too.