8 replies to this topic

#1 habsfreak18

habsfreak18

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hi guys,

I have a cottage on Canal lake on the west side. I am going up tomorrow for some pike fishing and possibly targeting some crappie. I know the lake inside and out, but was wondering if you guys knew of some shore fishing on Mitchell Lake and Lake Dalrymple. On Mitchell Lake I only know of the boat launch/picnic area off the highway, and have never had luck there. On Dalrymple I have fished under the bridge on Highway 6, but I find its always jam packed with "Sunday Fishers"

Let me know! Ill hopefully be posting pics of my catches when I get back.

Happy Fishing.

#2 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if it's the highway (48/11) that runs right by Mitchell lake or just a RR, but there is good fishing to be had there. I usually stop for some casts on my route from Canal to Balsam and cast from the between the canal and the road that intersects the lake. I've caught bass and musky.

#3 habsfreak18

habsfreak18

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Back from a solid couple days of fishing.. in total I caught 4 pike and 1 largemouth bass.... lots of perch to be had as well. All fish were released. It was good to see Canal Lake producing from the shore! 2 of the pike caught were from Lake Dalrymple..

Just had a quick question: I noticed both of the pike caught in Dalrymple and one from Canal had these black spots all over them, as did most perch I caught. What are these dots? Is it some sort of disease? Harmful to humans?

Attached Images

• PIC-0032.jpg
  • PIC-0028.jpg
  • PIC-0027.jpg

#4 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Good job. Those are some good sized pike for Canal. You may want to remove the photo of the largie as it is definately out of season. Nice report and some good fishing.

#5 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have seen those before. According to this website those black spots are larval flukes that have burrowed into the flesh opr under the skin of the fish. These larva mature in fish eating birds. Apparently, they are not harmful to eat if the fish is cleaned and cooked properly. I have eaten fish with these spots before with no ill effects. However; now knowing what they are, I will not likely eat them (I am not grossed out lol).

#6 habsfreak18

habsfreak18

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Good job. Those are some good sized pike for Canal. You may want to remove the photo of the largie as it is definately out of season. Nice report and some good fishing.

Removed. Just wondering, I hadnt been targetting largemouth bass but caught one (as im sure has happened to everyone in this forum), and i had obviously released as it is out of season (and if it was it would still have been released so someone else can have the pleasure of catching him).. my question is: what is the harm in posting the picture? it's not as if theres a picture of me cooking him up haha just don't really see the harm. Took it down anyway just in case.

#7 ekenn

ekenn

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Nice pike!

I'm heading to the dalrymple resort on the 26th with a couple buddies. Just looking for any tips such as: baits used, good colors, great spots, etc. Anything that could help would be great.

Thanks guys!

#8 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

Removed. Just wondering, I hadnt been targetting largemouth bass but caught one (as im sure has happened to everyone in this forum), and i had obviously released as it is out of season (and if it was it would still have been released so someone else can have the pleasure of catching him).. my question is: what is the harm in posting the picture? it's not as if theres a picture of me cooking him up haha just don't really see the harm. Took it down anyway just in case.

I really don't mind and would like to see the picture myself, but I've read that a school of bluegills can destroy a bass' nest in less than 60 seconds when removed. Releasing it asap entails not taking pictures.

#9 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

With respect to the photo of OOS fish, that debate has been flogged many times before; I'm sure the board has policies in place restricting posting of OOS catches. While I know you weren't targeting the species, OOS fish are to be released immediately. An MNR officer will right you up if you are caught snapping a photo as it is considered possesion of an out of season fish; even if its going back into the drink, the release isn't immediate and, therefore, any handling of the fish short of immediate release is in contradiction of the regulations. I catch OOS fish, as do many, inadvertantly, it happens.