9 replies to this topic

#1 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

Good day all,

Does anyone know if there is a decent run of Brown Trout in the fall on the Maitland?

#2 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Good day all,

Does anyone know if there is a decent run of Brown Trout in the fall on the Maitland?

What? Nobody fishes the Maitland in the Fall? At least one of you must fish Goderich often enough in the Fall to be able to answer my question.

#3 Meppsman

Meppsman

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

All tribs get browns of course. It's not always easy targeting them though because you'll be going through lots of Chrome :grin:

#4 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

All tribs get browns of course. It's not always easy targeting them though because you'll be going through lots of Chrome :grin:

Very true, and quite fun the colour of Chrome :grin:

Thanks for the reply, take care and great fishin'!

#5 dookstaa

dookstaa

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

I personally have never caught one there and ive fished that trib a lot. Love to hear if anyone else has caught some, id love to target some browns

#6 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Every year there are Brown trout in the nine mile river , with most of them caught after the suns gone down. During the daylight hours I've heard of a few caught. A friend of mine caught a 10 lb. Brown two years ago in the early afternoon. I know that some of the tributaries have native Brown trout populations that stay in those tributaries year round ,but as far as a fall run of lake Browns in the Maitland river it doesn't exist. There are some Brown caught out at the mouth of the river but they do not seem to run any distance up the river. There seem to be a lot more tributaries off Lake Ontario that have decent runs of Brown Trout than off Lake Huron. A Brown Trout caught in a Lake Huron Tributary is always looked on as an oddity. Bottom line is do not count on catching Browns up river on the Maitland river.

#7 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

I personally have never caught one there and ive fished that trib a lot. Love to hear if anyone else has caught some, id love to target some browns

I've a caught a couple out of the mouth in the past when going for salmon. But I don't very often get up there to effectively survey the fish cycles. And with browns being Fall spawners I wondered if they flew/fly up the river to compete with the salmon for spawning sites or shoot up after. That is if they are there in any decent numbers.

If I get any info outside of here on the Maitland I will let you know.

Take care and great fishin'

#8 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Every year there are Brown trout in the nine mile river , with most of them caught after the suns gone down. During the daylight hours I've heard of a few caught. A friend of mine caught a 10 lb. Brown two years ago in the early afternoon. I know that some of the tributaries have native Brown trout populations that stay in those tributaries year round ,but as far as a fall run of lake Browns in the Maitland river it doesn't exist. There are some Brown caught out at the mouth of the river but they do not seem to run any distance up the river. There seem to be a lot more tributaries off Lake Ontario that have decent runs of Brown Trout than off Lake Huron. A Brown Trout caught in a Lake Huron Tributary is always looked on as an oddity. Bottom line is do not count on catching Browns up river on the Maitland river.

Thank you for the reply and the tips.

Take care and great fishin'!

#9 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

does anyone know how far they run up the maitland? Ive only ever done summertime bass fishing on the maitland, never tried my luck at salmon or trout.

#10 chromefanatic

chromefanatic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

There are dams on the Mait, so that will be as far as they can get... Dont think there are too many browns, not enough to target, but perhaps a nice suprise when you least expect it.