7 replies to this topic

#1 habsfreak18

habsfreak18

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys,

Heading out to Belwood tomorrow if I get my shift off work (fingers crossed) to do some pike/perch fishing. Does anyone know if they have lowered the water level yet? Alternatively, does anyone know how I can find out? I prefer fishing there when the water gets lowered.. seems to give me more luck. If not, looks like I'll be hitting the Grand River!

Tried Canal Lake on monday and tuesday with no luck, seems like the lower water levels drives the fish from shore to "deeper" areas...i say "deeper" because Canal Lake has an average depth of about 6 or 7 feet lol

Go Habs Go

-Mike

#2 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hey

Check this My link out ti should tell you what you need to know.

Go Leafs!

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hey guys,

Heading out to Belwood tomorrow if I get my shift off work (fingers crossed) to do some pike/perch fishing. Does anyone know if they have lowered the water level yet? Alternatively, does anyone know how I can find out? I prefer fishing there when the water gets lowered.. seems to give me more luck. If not, looks like I'll be hitting the Grand River!

Tried Canal Lake on monday and tuesday with no luck, seems like the lower water levels drives the fish from shore to "deeper" areas...i say "deeper" because Canal Lake has an average depth of about 6 or 7 feet lol

Go Habs Go

-Mike

Haven't fished Belwood for a number of years, so good luck let us know.

I gotta go with the go Habs go though. :)

Alfie.

#4 Jim

Jim

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

Believe it's lowered by now it was this time last year.

#5 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Believe it's lowered by now it was this time last year.

I used to fish BELOW the DAM. (Belwood Conservation Area)
Not sure how that is in the late fall, but earlier ... thats where I would get really good PIKE RESULTS.

Back then BELOW the DAM was okay. I believe it Still is.
Pls double check that one.

GOOD LUCK!

#6 habsfreak18

habsfreak18

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

GOOD NEWS

Caught 4 pike at Belwood this weekend.. probably about one pounders (really small, but put up a hell of a fight on a light setup).. but the real surprise were the dozen beautiful crappie I caught. As soon as I can get my blackberry's pc connection to co-operate with me I'll put up the pics. The weather was beautiful til around noon when the wind really picked up.. about a dozen fisherman in my immediate area.. no one catching anything but my friend and I.

Everyone was casting as far as they could until my friend and I had a cigarette and watched our floats get to about 10 feet to shore, prompting my friend to ask : "would you be surprised if I caught anything this close to shore?".. and I replied I've seen stranger things.
Before cigarette's end, his bobber was gone. Pike on the other end. Then it was my turn, and his again, and finally mine one last time. The egos of the guys next to us didn't allow them to reel their lines closer to shore... so stubborn ahahah

All in all it was an awesome time. And the Habs won in OT too... gotta love it

Go Habs Go

-Mike

#7 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Glad you had a great day at Belwood!

Amazing what some guys will do NOT to CATCH FISH!
*SMILES*

#8 joshy56

joshy56

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

GOOD NEWS

Caught 4 pike at Belwood this weekend.. probably about one pounders (really small, but put up a hell of a fight on a light setup).. but the real surprise were the dozen beautiful crappie I caught. As soon as I can get my blackberry's pc connection to co-operate with me I'll put up the pics. The weather was beautiful til around noon when the wind really picked up.. about a dozen fisherman in my immediate area.. no one catching anything but my friend and I.

Everyone was casting as far as they could until my friend and I had a cigarette and watched our floats get to about 10 feet to shore, prompting my friend to ask : "would you be surprised if I caught anything this close to shore?".. and I replied I've seen stranger things.
Before cigarette's end, his bobber was gone. Pike on the other end. Then it was my turn, and his again, and finally mine one last time. The egos of the guys next to us didn't allow them to reel their lines closer to shore... so stubborn ahahah

All in all it was an awesome time. And the Habs won in OT too... gotta love it

Go Habs Go

-Mike

belwood will also have a very good walleye population in the next few years. i friend of mine has a family cottage there, and was talking to one of the relatives, and last summer (2010), they had stoked 15 000 walleye there. the number seemed kinda high to me, but he swore up and down thats how many they put in. i took my daughter out for about half an hour to a shoal we found, and jigged it, and she caught 4 picks. All less than a pound, but its a promising sign to say the least if you fish belwood.