• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Saw a few small harbour pike hanging out in the empty canals, not interested in lures. A few snot rockets caught by people fishing around the usual spots on Long Pond. No baitfish spotted anywhere. Boat fisherman were reporting that their Pike action was all in the harbour, not the island canals.

Some good news.... Spotted a few Carp cruising the canal at lunch time while I was crossing the bridge to Olympic Island. I wasn't kitted out for Carp, but I did have some sandwiches, so I baited the canal with some chopped tomato and crumbled bread crusts. I managed to get all three Carp feeding and finally hooked one on a chunk of hair rigged crust. (the "hair rig" was a single salmon egg quickly snelled off the back of a round hook I had in my tackle box)

Met up with Prime89 after lunch and we overlap fished the banks around several of the canals, but aside from a few Carp follows and seeing some not interested Pike, no luck. I left around 6 with Prime89 fishing on and went to the front wall of Algonquin island to fish the harbour, on my way back to the ferry.

#2 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

thanks for the report...happy to hear the water is warming up enough that the carp are becoming active.....

#3 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

It was looking like a fairly disappointing morning until I spotted those three big grey ghosts slowly cruising up and down the canal. Good ole' reliable Mr Carp!