• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

We are looking to upgrade OFF and I would like to hear any input the members may have.

So, if you have any thoughts about how we can improve OFF, please share your ideas. It can be anything from a new feature you'd like to see, certain existing features changed/improved etc...

Much appreciated!

So far:

• "Trophy Room"
  • "Meet-up Section" (The old board had this)
  • Tapatalk
  • OFF Tutorial Thread
  • Google Maps bbcode button in post editor
  • Articles by experienced members
  • "Live Reports"
  • Educational Section (Fact based per species etc...)
  • Conservation section (already in the works)
  • OFF Patch
  • VIP Section
  • Fishing Abroad Section
  • Some way to increase member participation - Suggestions needed
  • Review Section - Lures, tackle, resorts etc...
  • More posts in recent posts feed

Keep the ideas coming!

#2 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

That is a neat idea Blair (the "Trophy" room as it were).

I would make the suggestion of having a separate sub-forum for meet ups where people can throw out invites to go fishing if and when they need/want company that day/night on both small scale *heading out tonight* and large scale *elite group meet*

#3 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Tapatalk.

It's a really solid forum browser for smart-phones. You install it on the server (super simple) and users install the client app on their phones (even more simple). Makes it really enjoyable to use on the go.

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Great Ideas so far! Keep them coming!

I'll keep editing the OP to add the new ideas as they come in.

Blair, I'm not sure what you mean by a direct link to google maps, but I've already installed a shortcode to allow you to embed your google maps in your posts...

Simply use the follow bbcode:

[ gmap ] insert the url of the google map in here [ /gmap ] without the spaces

like so:

#5 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I do not know if this is possible, but having the site refresh automatically, so that you can always stay on top of new posts.

Thanks for asking for our input. The forum is a great site and all my computer tech friends go gaga over the formatting.

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hey Fishingnoob, if you look at the top right of the site, you'll see a block called "Recent Posts"... it constantly refreshes, so new posts automatically appear without manually refreshing your browser... Is that what you mean?

#7 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thanks Openfire,

Was not aware of that ability!

Do we have a TUTORIAL THREAD?
lol

I know there are explainations about.

Sometime hard to see the forest through the trees....

No come to think of it we don't have a tutorial thread... good idea! :D
... That gives me another idea... How about a GMAP button right in the post editor to make the bbcode appear (for those who did not already know or who forgot what the code is)

#8 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

I think the "trophy room" is an awesome idea!

I'd like to see the site do some fishing articles by members that have proven themselves or are trusted anglers, or something along those lines.

How about a once a week chat with a respected member on certain techniques, species or body of water, then have it cataloged for easy re-visiting?

I'm sure i''ll have more ideas as I think about it openfire

#9 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think the "trophy room" is an awesome idea!

I'd like to see the site do some fishing articles by members that have proven themselves or are trusted anglers, or something along those lines.

How about a once a week chat with a respected member on certain techniques, species or body of water, then have it cataloged for easy re-visiting?

I'm sure i''ll have more ideas as I think about it openfire

Absolutely LOVE this idea.

#10 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

x2 on the idea of a carpooling section. Exactly what I was going to say. I'm not sure any other fishing forums have one. It could be a huge feature.

x2 on better mobile formatting. Using the forum is somewhat of a pain in the ass on my Blackberry Torch. I have to pinch zoom to be able to properly access the login.

Maybe some sort of "live reporting" section? Not sure if it would be possible, to set something up where right after taking a shot, you can send it to a designated email address, which automatically uploads it to a designated forum section? Seems like fast/low attention span/instant gratification is the way everything is going these days. Can't get faster reporting than right after the pic was taken. And perhaps the text in the email gets included with the pic, so you can send in mini-reports.

#11 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thanks OF for the amazing work

I am thinking of a section for education, solid articles (proven facts for example trend of toxins in waters, rate of fish die off after C&R, etc)..something that people actualy learn from rather than fighting over. Also, a thread/section for organizing and announcing conservation activities so volunteers can sign up well in advance. I think if some day OFF can help arranging these events couple of times a year, then we have made a major contribution.

#12 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Maybe some sort of "live reporting" section? Not sure if it would be possible, to set something up where right after taking a shot, you can send it to a designated email address, which automatically uploads it to a designated forum section? Seems like fast/low attention span/instant gratification is the way everything is going these days. Can't get faster reporting than right after the pic was taken. And perhaps the text in the email gets included with the pic, so you can send in mini-reports.

That's a very cool idea... Will look into this to see if it's feasible... but I like it!

#13 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Thanks OF for the amazing work

I am thinking of a section for education, solid articles (proven facts for example trend of toxins in waters, rate of fish die off after C&R, etc)..something that people actualy learn from rather than fighting over. Also, a thread/section for organizing and announcing conservation activities so volunteers can sign up well in advance. I think if some day OFF can help arranging these events couple of times a year, then we have made a major contribution.

Hey Getin, this idea is already being spearheaded by Chasechrome! It is in the works... A "conservation section".

#14 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Agreed getin.

Time for OFF to start organizing some clean up initiatives, especially at this time of year. The community at large will see us cleaning up garbage, and that will help them accept fishing and fishermen/women. Not all fishermen are litterbugs.

I've been meaning to do a big clean up and install proper garbage bins "you know where", since last Sunday, but I've been frickin' busy, and now I am heading to NY for a few days then up north when I get back. Will hopefully find some time to do it soon.

#15 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Wow, this is cool. I don't have much to suggest, but a sub-section that's devoted to fishing videos in the salmon/steelhead forum would be great.

#16 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Wow, this is cool. I don't have much to suggest, but a sub-section that's devoted to fishing videos in the salmon/steelhead forum would be great.

Then you wouldn't need to stick them in your avatar :razz:

Anyone else find the moving avatars a little annoying? :lol:

#17 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

I tried putting one for my sig, but even I found that annoying :lol:

#18 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

<_<

#19 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

If you plan on a "community cleanup", can we arrange a fund raiser for me to head to the area to help? lol.

Seriously, great ideas though.

For the studies etc, I'd suggest a forum related to scientific studies, MNR research etc. Laws and regulations and updates and the such

#20 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

This doesn't really have anything to do with improving the forum but I often wonder why OFF doesn't have an OFF patch available for purchase that can be put on a fishing vest or maybe a cap.

I agree.

I'd even rep in in my tournys, if I was Approved of course. Great way to spread the word and endorse the community.

Also, not really an upgrade, but how about someway to keep members actively posting on reports and such? I'm not too sure how, but I love this site and I'd like to see more members actively contributing. Even if its little posts like "hey, nice catch" would be cool, lol. Would be nice if everyone was more supportive of posts/reports, just to encourage more to post.