• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

How you doing guys. Just a friendly reminder to you guys that its a good idea to support your local bait stores. With the amount of competition out there (CT and Walmart) they need our business. There prices might be a little more, but there selection is way above any other competitors. Plus I like chatting with the guys too and they have no problem letting you know where the fish are biting. Do you think if you walk into a CT or Walmart and ask where they are hitting or what should I use that they will know what your talking about. They will look at you like your on crack lol. I can just imagine walking into a CT store and asking some 15 year old kid what lure would be best to catch smallies this time of year haha. Support your local bait stores. Thanks guys

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Totally agree, I have 2 local bait stores. Both of them are amazing shops. One even has a wide selection of downriggers. The other one is small but jam-packed with fishing goodies.

#3 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Totally agree, I have 2 local bait stores. Both of them are amazing shops. One even has a wide selection of downriggers. The other one is small but jam-packed with fishing goodies.

Sweet. Now I know who to bug to get some fishing info.

#4 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Can we post the names of our local stores? I would like to recommend couple.

#5 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Bills Bait and Tackle in Hamilton Mountain (Upper James) is a store I tend to go to.

#6 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'd love to go to a "mom and pop" tackle store, but the problem is that I can't find one in Toronto, and I find that the majority of small tackle shops do not have websites.

#7 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'd love to go to a "mom and pop" tackle store, but the problem is that I can't find one in Toronto, and I find that the majority of small tackle shops do not have websites.

Toronto is all corporate and you would be lucky if you can find fishing stuff in a non-franchised store.

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Toronto is all corporate and you would be lucky if you can find fishing stuff in a non-franchised store.

Tell me about it. I find it very sad.

#9 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

bass city---markham--patrick--5am to 11pm every day...rock and roll---sold me a st croix ice rod yesterday for 20 bucks....booya

#10 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Can we post the names of our local stores? I would like to recommend couple.

Sure 8-)

#11 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

-Bill's Bait And Tackle
-Grimsby Tackle
-Fishmaster's Ultimate Charters

All of these places have websites

#12 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

-Bill's Bait And Tackle
-Grimsby Tackle
-Fishmaster's Ultimate Charters

All of these places have websites

Any of these places in Toronto??

#13 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hey Noob

Try these;

Pollack's Fly Fishing And Fishing GoodsTel1: 416-363-1095
337 Queen Street East,Toronto, ON, M5A 1S9

Al Flaherty's Outdoor StoreTel1: 416-651-6436
2066 Dufferin Street,York, ON, M6E 3R6

I'm not sure if Pollack's is still around. They were some 15 years ago. I just found them too far to go. I never been to Al. I think there used to be a Cousin George at one time in the Jane Finch area. Any know what happened to it?

#14 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

This is my favorite
Bronte Outdoor
2560 Shepard Ave, Unit1, Mississauga, ON L5A 4E1
(905) 896-400
Bill's Bait And Tackle is awesome, when i use to live in Hamilton was my go to store even now i will stop by if I'm in the neighborhood.

#15 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

al flatertys is good, has website. same with gagnons.
JB fishing depot is awesome. theres proline on jane. 2 angling specialties locations. a new one ive heard of true north in the plaza on the north side of bass pro. tightlines in pickering.. wilsons fly shop downtown queen and jarvis. at least sail and lebaron are canadian.
lots of choices

#16 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hey Noob

Try these;

Pollack's Fly Fishing And Fishing GoodsTel1: 416-363-1095
337 Queen Street East,Toronto, ON, M5A 1S9

Al Flaherty's Outdoor StoreTel1: 416-651-6436
2066 Dufferin Street,York, ON, M6E 3R6

I'm not sure if Pollack's is still around. They were some 15 years ago. I just found them too far to go. I never been to Al. I think there used to be a Cousin George at one time in the Jane Finch area. Any know what happened to it?

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check these out.

#17 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

al flatertys is good, has website. same with gagnons.
JB fishing depot is awesome. theres proline on jane. 2 angling specialties locations. a new one ive heard of true north in the plaza on the north side of bass pro. tightlines in pickering.. wilsons fly shop downtown queen and jarvis. at least sail and lebaron are canadian.
lots of choices

Thanks! I will definitely head to one of these now.

#18 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

For the Kitchener guys or anyone in town.

Rainbow Sports-Chad the owner is a great guy. Anyone intrested in fishing Bass should talk to him.

Natural Sports-They have good prices..but I have had bad experiences. I've was in there one day, and a guy had his younger daughter(4-5) in with him. She attempted to take lure off the shelf and the display fell and cut her. The guy behind the counter shrugged and said "Kids shouldn't be in here". They also sold my buddy an Ultra Light made by Southbend for 50$. The next week they were on clearance for 10$, they wouldnt do anything about it. Just my opinion, however Id be lying if I said I never go there.

#19 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I guess I don't share the same observations of local bait shops, at least not the old school 'mom and pop' shops. Of the ones I've been to, three quarters of the stores are full of old useless crap. The remaining selection is usually dismal. I mean how could they have selection "way above any other competitors" when the store is 1/20th the size of Bass Pro, Sail, or even LeBaron??

I'm all for supporting good people selling good products, but the few shops I've been to recently had nothing whatsoever over the big box stores. Maybe it's just the stores I've been to, YMMV.

I'll certainly look into any recommendations in this thread.

#20 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Any of these places in Toronto??

Nope, bills is in hammer town and grimsby is in grimsby