• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

lake ontario from shore? anywhere that no signs are posted? I did a search but with all the recent changes going on its extremely confusing

#2 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

the islands is your best bet for fishing from shore in t.o.

#3 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

the islands is your best bet for fishing from shore in t.o.

Its too much of a hassle to go to the islands

my basic understanding is that as long as there are no signs posted and you're not in the inner harbour you can fish, but I dont think there's anything official on it?

what a mess this whole situation is

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

lake ontario from shore? anywhere that no signs are posted? I did a search but with all the recent changes going on its extremely confusing

This should help: http://www.toronto.c...1000039211.html :D

#5 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

i fished near the mouth of the humber today, on the west side though which I don't think is in the jurisdiction of the TPA anymore so i was okay

#6 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

you find taking the ferry a hassle? I dont mind it too much its only a 15 minute ride lol Im pretty sure your right if theres no signs fish away, the city is actually trying to promote fishing pretty hard right now. Im not 100% sure though but im sure someone on the forum can help you out.

#7 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

This should help: http://www.toronto.c...1000039211.html :D

thanks, its a good link with lots of useful information

unfortunately i've been through it all already , and i'm still confused, seems like they haven't fully designated the fishing areas yet.(still belongs in the thread though, as the link is informative and relevant to anyone else, thanks)

from what I can put together it seems any city of toronto property is okay to fish from, private property probably depends on the landowner and up to them to enforce/post signs.

#8 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

you find taking the ferry a hassle? I dont mind it too much its only a 15 minute ride lol Im pretty sure your right if theres no signs fish away, the city is actually trying to promote fishing pretty hard right now. Im not 100% sure though but im sure someone on the forum can help you out.

Not in general, just for today (had limited time)
I plan on doing it once or twice in the summer time, when its nice and I go all day, make an event out of it lol.

now I just wanted to go for a few hours and try my luck, with the nice weather.. for me to drive down to the lake is 15 minutes, and I avoid downtown.

from what I take they're still working on something official, and apparently the city was even planning a summer pike fishing derby or something at lakeshore

#9 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

so from what I understand

TPA land is okay to fish from
City parks are good
ontario place is good (for now, still i don't think id risk it)

inner harbour is off limits
harbour centre properties are off limits
private property seems to be hit or miss, depending on the owner (if no signs i'd fish, if asked to leave i'd leave)

I'm sure somebody here will correct me if i'm wrong

#10 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

thanks, its a good link with lots of useful information

unfortunately i've been through it all already , and i'm still confused, seems like they haven't fully designated the fishing areas yet.(still belongs in the thread though, as the link is informative and relevant to anyone else, thanks)

from what I can put together it seems any city of toronto property is okay to fish from, private property probably depends on the landowner and up to them to enforce/post signs.

Fishing is allowed in the following PARK properties:

Toronto Islands: Ferry from foot of Bay St.
Tommy Thompson Park: Foot of Leslie St.
Ashbridges Bay Park: Coxwell Ave. S. of Lakeshore Blvd. E
High Park Grenadier Pond: High Park Blvd. W. of Parkside Dr.
Humber River Marsh: Mouth of Humber River upstream to Lakeshore Blvd. Rouge River Marsh: Lawrence Ave. E. of Port Union Rd.
Bluffers Park: Foot of Brimley Rd.
Upper Main Rouge River: Public Lands upstream of Hwy. 2
Lower Humber River: Etienne Brule Park S. to Eglinton Ave.
Eglinton Flats: Jane at Eglinton Ave.
G. Ross Lord Park: Dufferin St. N. of Finch Ave.
Humber Bay Park: Park Lawn Rd. S. of Lakeshore Blvd. W.
Colonel Samuel Smith Park: Kipling Ave. S. of Lakeshore Blvd. W.
Marie Curtis Park: Lakeshore Rd. E. of Dixie Rd.
Centennial Park: Centennial Park Blvd. S. of Eglinton Ave.
Summerlea Park: Albion Rd. E. of Islington Ave.

You are probably able to fish other places as well, I just don't have a definite answer for you... What I do, is just fish, and if I get asked to leave by someone with authority (security guard, marina manger or worker) I leave. Lots of places to fish along the harbourfront, and it's not worth the fight to me...

#11 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Any Toronto city park that does not have a no fishing bylaw sign 608-38 posted is ok to fish. There's a list from the recent parks and rec report meeting here:
http://torontourbanfishing.com/

For a full reveiw of last years shenanniagns, who tried to ban it all, the pro-fishing press releases from TPA and Ontario Place, city council motions etc, go here:
http://torontourbanf...com/?page_id=52

The only area that the Toronto Port Authority enforces no fishing is the industrial areas of the portlands and both the harbour entrance ship channels.
Ontario place continues to allow fishing from the north shore line until such time as the site becomes a construction zone. Everything downtown from Ashbridges, Outer harbour, TTP, all the little harbourfront parks (except Ireland Park, which is on the West shipping channel), Humber estuary and the marshes, Humber bay park east and west, are all ok, unless specifically posted as no fishing.

*Pike are in right now all along the front, in deeper water.

#12 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Any Toronto city park that does not have a no fishing bylaw sign 608-38 posted is ok to fish. There's a list from the recent parks and rec report meeting here:

For a full reveiw of last years shenanniagns, who tried to ban it all, the pro-fishing press releases from TPA and Ontario Place, city council motions etc, go here:

The only area that the Toronto Port Authority enforces no fishing is the industrial areas of the portlands and both the harbour entrance ship channels.
Ontario place continues to allow fishing from the north shore line until such time as the site becomes a construction zone. Everything downtown from Ashbridges, Outer harbour, TTP, all the little harbourfront parks (except Ireland Park, which is on the West shipping channel), Humber estuary and the marshes, Humber bay park east and west, are all ok, unless specifically posted as no fishing.

Thanks for the info and the tip. Will head out sometime in the next week or so.

#13 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

great post, answered all my questions, and thanks for the links.

I almost feel like this thread should be stickied, for future reference.

so right now you wouldn't be able to catch them from shore?

*thanks also fishingnoob, I missed your reply at first somehow

#14 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

*thanks also fishingnoob, I missed your reply at first somehow

No worries!

#15 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

so right now you wouldn't be able to catch them from shore?

You can catch the smaller harbour pike pretty much year round downtown, there's so many of them. Straight drop offs and corners (ambush points) are always good starting points. They may not be very aggressive as they have a lots of winter kill laying around on the bottom to just pick up an eat. Try a few deadbaits or a pop up deadbait instead of a spinner or jerkbait.

#16 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

You can catch the smaller harbour pike pretty much year round downtown, there's so many of them. Straight drop offs and corners (ambush points) are always good starting points. They may not be very aggressive as they have a lots of winter kill laying around on the bottom to just pick up an eat. Try a few deadbaits or a pop up deadbait instead of a spinner or jerkbait.

thanks, and I read through the links, good summary of everything that's happened (it was very confusing with all the changes)

#17 Fishglorytoronto

Fishglorytoronto

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

Has anyone ever fished summerlea park?