• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'm new to the Forum as of today, but not new to the Sport, I see the Forum mostly lies around the Great Lakes Tributaries, and I presume Fly Fishing, so this Forum may not actually be for me, but here's who I am.
I've fished the Province from corner to corner over the last 25 years, and now find myself most at home on the small unscheduled Northern Lakes, most of which aren't even on the map, and as a result aren't pressured, I fish about 80 calendar days a year, not including Ice Fishing season, but still target Catfish and Pike in the Spring after Ice Out, locally

I'm a active Conservationist, and have seen major changes to Fish habitat and populations over the past 10-15 years, and believe that one of the best Natural Sports on the planet is worth working hard to protect.

So again I say Hello. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390769486.285777.jpg

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

hello and welcome, this forum is mostly steelheaders, would say about 90% of it is, and 10% other species, and most of them are pin heads, only a few of us on the fly here

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hey Matt Walker. Welcome.

I have to disagree with JMatt in that we are mostly Steelheaders here. I love to catch Chrome, but I also love fishing for Bass, Pike, Cats. There are many members here who fish for other than Chrome. 90%/10% is way off.

Alfie.

#4 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I've never really thought about these Forums but a fishing buddy of mine, introduced me to the world of iPhone, and suggested that I check what I'm missing?

We'll see how it goes, I'll check it out for a couple months, and if it's not for me, then so be it.

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Welcome aboard, lots of good people here I am sure you will enjoy the site. Everyone is very helpful and I am sure at times you will even have a good laugh or two.

Cheers

#6 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

very few true fly guys here..if you love drifting 1000 yards, using 4lbs bags of roe or lures that look like a garage remote...than look no further--start unpacking...you are home HAHAHAHA  just kidding . welcome 

#7 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hey matt, i too find most of the active guys here are steelheaders first but we got everything bro

i used to be a only pike and bass kinda guy untill recently and am now expanding my hobby greatly, mostly thanks to people here being so helpful

good to see youre concerned about conservation too

maybe hit some pike up when you go after ice-out!

peace brother

#8 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

welcome aboard, i would say i could fly fish a little bit, a noob to everything, but i started tying flies this winter, some famous patterns, but i am an angler with very less experience and limited knowledge, i fall way behind others, but i am happy that there are a few people in the forums that fly fish, i used nymphs and egg patterns only last year, maybe on a better day with better conditions i can use some dry flies, i was not sure if my 9 wt outfit mostly made for steelhead will handle a salmon, so i didnt try it out last fall, as i was afraid to break the rod, but anyway maybe you can share me a tip or two when it comes to fly fishing,  welcome aboard again!!!

#9 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

welcome aboard, i would say i could fly fish a little bit, a noob to everything, but i started tying flies this winter, some famous patterns, but i am an angler with very less experience and limited knowledge, i fall way behind others, but i am happy that there are a few people in the forums that fly fish, i used nymphs and egg patterns only last year, maybe on a better day with better conditions i can use some dry flies, i was not sure if my 9 wt outfit mostly made for steelhead will handle a salmon, so i didnt try it out last fall, as i was afraid to break the rod, but anyway maybe you can share me a tip or two when it comes to fly fishing,  welcome aboard again!!!

your 9 wt is pretty heavy wt for steel head, considering a 5 or 6 wt will do, personally i have 3 fly rods that i'll be using, a 6 wt an 8wt single hand, and an 8wt spey, your 9wt will easily handle salmon,  think it'll handle up to a 100lb fish, correct me if im wrong

#10 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't even call myself a steelheader...I do fish for them a bit, but I hardly ever dedicate time for them. There are too much to catch...too little time.

So don't feel that you are alone.

As for JMatt1983's comment on 9wt's ability to handle fish up to 100lbs...What 100lb fish are we talking about? Tarpon? Mako? GT? Sailfish? You gotta be good plus extremely lucky to land some 100lb fish on a 9wt. Not saying it is not possible, but I would not pit a 9wt against 100lb mako on purpose...nevermind...I wouldn't pit a 9wt against a 50lb GT on purpose if there is a 10wt or even an 11wt nearby. Sailfish on a 9wt, sure...you can chase a sail on a boat...maybe. Tarpon on a 9wt...not preferred, but still be OK with a longer fight.

#11 PikeyArea

PikeyArea

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Welcome!

steelheaders or not, this forum is largely dedicated to GTA and GL area. I'm moving to Sudbury this summer and haven't found many on here with info north of muskokas.

If your looking to chat up anyone up north, I'll be kicking around here for a while.

#12 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

North of Barrie, is where real fishing actually starts, North of Temagami is an Angler's Paradise.

But that's from someone that has fished the Province, from Windsor to Kenora and Moosonee, and back.

#13 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Welcome! Up until about a year ago I was strictly a river/laker fisher....then got a pin and a fly rod...I've been having fun with them all! You will find a boatload of information either on the site itself of from a lot of the guy/gals here!

#14 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

North of Barrie, is where real fishing actually starts, North of Temagami is an Angler's Paradise.

But that's from someone that has fished the Province, from Windsor to Kenora and Moosonee, and back.

I do know of a lot of good fishing south of Barrie for Bass, Pike, Cats and of course Steelhead, but also a lot of exciting to catch fish like Gar, Bowfin and some Carp and Musky. Also my personal fav Specks.

Can't agree with you more about the Temagami area tho. I have spent a lot of time and fished a lot of water up that way. I have many very fond memories that go back 40 years of Temagami. I could tell some stories.

I too have fished Ontario corner to corner to corner, be it fishing with my Dad or later during my years as a sub-contractor installing aluminum roofs in the very early years of the industry. When I first started installing aluminum shingles there were only 9 installers in Ontario, so I went where the jobs were sold from Windsor to Cornwall to Ottawa to The Soo to Thunder Bay. Don't forget Kapuscasing. Never went anywhere without my gear and plans to allow for fishing time.

The big goal this year is to get back to the Nip region and fish big Brookies at the end of August :)

Alfie.

#15 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

http://m.baytoday.ca...ls.aspx?c=57378

#16 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

The Nip might be having a little trouble.

#17 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

that's, not good,,, maybe the next one to be pulled out will have 3 tails!!! massive fight and runs indeed!!!

#18 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

The Nip might be having a little trouble.

I was actually referring to Lake Nipigon, when I said Lake Nip.

There is only one lake Nip for big Specks for me. Not really familiar with a Speck fishery in Lake Nipissing.

Sorry for any confusion.

Alfie.

#19 David M

David M

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hey pikey.

My wife and i are moving uo to sudbury next week. How did you make out uo there? The wife bought me a 9 ft zodiac with a 4 hp for my birthday. If you could point me in the right direction for my maidain voyage i would appreciate it. Looking for trout and walleye.

#20 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Welcome!