36 replies to this topic

#1 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase my first fly reel and im very interested in the islander models.

Does anyone here own a Islander fly reel?

Im looking to fish for carp, steelhead and maybe salmon.

Here are the models I was looking at...

IR4 6-8 3.25 in 0.81 in 4.2 oz WF7F+150 yds 20#

http://www.islander.com/reels/ir

ir4-g.jpg

LX 3.8 8-9 3.8 in 0.91 in 7.8 oz WF8F + 200 yds 20#

http://www.islander.com/reels/lx

lx38-g.jpg

Or would you guys recommend something else?

#2 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Islanders are very nice reels, but they come with an insane price tag. Take a look at Ross, Lamson, TFO, Greys, and Allen.

#3 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

^ 100% agree with chris.. owned a IR2 for a little while but it honestly wasnt worth the money. Especially seeing as it will be your first reel. 

#4 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I agree with the high price tag but im talking with shop owners who can give me a break on the price.

I wanted to go big is because I didn't want to go through the whole upgrading process. 

I'm making sure this will last me forever.

#5 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

All of the ones I listed will last you forever, IMO if you want something to show off go for it but it's not necessary. Take a look at lamson, they are really sweet reels.

#6 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Lamson, sage makes some really nice reels, couple of the orvis reels, maybe consider something like a Allen... Lots of good options out there that perform as well if not better then the islander at a more reasonable price.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Sage is up there price wise as well....

#8 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

check out okuma SLV my bro has one , most likely you will need the 7/8 weight model, we have the biggest one they offer 10/11 wt, LOL!!! on a 9 ft 9 wt. ross rod,

#9 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Sage is up there price wise as well....

What about something like the sub 100$ 1600 series or the 1800 series for a little more

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

i have a sage reel, its pretty nice, was about $100, can't go wrong with sage or ross, look at the CLA

#11 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

i have a sage reel, its pretty nice, was about $100, can't go wrong with sage or ross, look at the CLA

after owning a CLA I wouldnt suggest them, drag froze on me a couple weeks ago... the echo ion does the same thing in a better newer package

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

after owning a CLA I wouldnt suggest them, drag froze on me a couple weeks ago... the echo ion does the same thing in a better newer package

drag must of had some water in it for it to freeze, maybe contact ross about it

#13 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

I agree with all the suggestions for purchasing a reel in the $100 - $200 range.  I have landed salmon with my Teton reel @ $200.  One of my friends has landed salmon on a $50 Pflueger 1500 because they are strong, balance the rod, and the spool has a palming rim.

Pump - I think I sense reel lust.  The two reels you linked are vastly different in weight (mass).  I suggest that first you need to consider the rod and line you will be using.  The reel must hold your 8(?) wt line plus backing, and balance the rod so it is neither tip nor butt heavy.

It would be a good idea to take your rod to the shops (notice the plural), fit some reels on the seat, hang a line on the rod butt and see which ones balance - then look at quality and price.  Good luck with your purchase.

#14 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

drag must of had some water in it for it to freeze, maybe contact ross about it

Some drags just don't work in the cold, It didnt physically freeze up ahaha

#15 Slimfisher

Slimfisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

I have an islander for my spey set up. The reels are bullet proof. That being said I also have lamson konic on my 8 and a hardy marquis salmon 2 on my 7 switch. All nice reels bu for myself personally unless I wanted a click and pawl would put an islander on everything. I'm not real gentle on my equipment. I don't Abuse it but It's used. And the islanders I have and buddy's of mine have have stood up to everything we have thrown at them

#16 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

I was gonna buy a okuma SLV during the sportsman show but decided not too.  Something about it threw me off.

I agree with all the suggestions for purchasing a reel in the $100 - $200 range.  I have landed salmon with my Teton reel @ $200.  One of my friends has landed salmon on a $50 Pflueger 1500 because they are strong, balance the rod, and the spool has a palming rim.

Pump - I think I sense reel lust.  The two reels you linked are vastly different in weight (mass).  I suggest that first you need to consider the rod and line you will be using.  The reel must hold your 8(?) wt line plus backing, and balance the rod so it is neither tip nor butt heavy.

It would be a good idea to take your rod to the shops (notice the plural), fit some reels on the seat, hang a line on the rod butt and see which ones balance - then look at quality and price.  Good luck with your purchase.

Im not gonna lie, it is reel lust.  I always wanted a Islander CP but since I already have a pin, the next best thing is to own a fly version.

I should be buying a rod and line first?  My heart is set on one of these two reels.  For the rod, I was thinking a St. Croix Imperial.

As of now, i'm just window shopping but would like to get a set up for the summer.

I read somewhere that Islanders are sold a lot cheaper in the US.  I'm gonna check some online shops to find out.

#17 swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Interesting thread. I own many reels, Abel, Orvis, Hardy, Bauer.... That said, I have never owned an Islander myself but have heard enough from friends to say you probably won't be disappointed. Buying Canadian is always good and they look great. I do agree with CK that I don't think they're worth the money, that is I feel you could buy the same performance, quality, durability for less money.

On another note, if you plan on spending that much on a new reel, Maybe spend less and upgrade your rod selection. In a lot of cases reels are just glorified line holders but a better rod can make real difference. Look and try a Loomis, sage, tfo, Echo or any of the other dedicated fly rod companies. If you still prefer the St.Croix, then go for it.

#18 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Interesting thread. I own many reels, Abel, Orvis, Hardy, Bauer.... That said, I have never owned an Islander myself but have heard enough from friends to say you probably won't be disappointed. Buying Canadian is always good and they look great. I do agree with CK that I don't think they're worth the money, that is I feel you could buy the same performance, quality, durability for less money.

On another note, if you plan on spending that much on a new reel, Maybe spend less and upgrade your rod selection. In a lot of cases reels are just glorified line holders but a better rod can make real difference. Look and try a Loomis, sage, tfo, Echo or any of the other dedicated fly rod companies. If you still prefer the St.Croix, then go for it.

I'd prefer to dump money into line...

#19 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Echo does make some very nice stuff and I will likely be buying one in the spring, pretty cheap comparatively too.

#20 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Pump could also get a better StCroix or a Reddington (designed by Sage but made off-shore).  The set-up Pump seeks would also be OK for pike.

So - Pump wants an Islander reel and has no rod.  I may be wrong, but my guess is that he has not done much fly fishing.  It would be really sad to have a $600 reel on a $200 rod and find you don't like fly fishing.

An Imperial (moderately priced) rod is OK for a novice because of the slow action - it will still flex and move the line even though the caster needs to refine the casting motion and application of power.  The same applies to equipment for tennis, skiing and golf.

However, less expensive rods  are usually heavier and have more tip bounce.  Since the essence of a good fly cast is a hard stop exactly at the end of the casting motion, a tip-heavy rod will be harder to stop (not such a tight cast) + the tip bounce will tire the elbow.  Perhaps frustration will follow, and the problem will not be the $600 reel, but you will be stuck with it.

IMO, the rod and reel (+ line) are a system and should physically balance on your index finger when your hand is in the normal fishing position.  More than 1/2 your time is spent following the line/fly.  There is no point doing that while at the same time ensuring the tip of the rod stays out of the water or out of the clouds.  What a waste of energy.  It would also be sad to have a $600 reel that needs a wrap of lead around the arbor to balance a tip-heavy rod.

Putting the ideas together, I don't suggest buying parts of your fly fishing system separately from each other.  Some reels are light, some are heavy; some rods are physically heavy, some are just tip heavy, and some feel light even for the same line weight because of how the rod alone balances. 

The main tool is the rod - and IMO it has to feel right for your casting stroke.  When you are fly fishing you hardly think of the reel, but you always feel the rod.  There are all kinds of reels so a good one can be found to balance the rod and satisfy your quality demands.

Get the rod first and then take it when you look for a reel, or buy them both at the same place.  My $.02.