14 replies to this topic

#1 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hey fellow fly-ers,

I'm getting ready for a fly fishing derby on Friday at a stocked pond and I was wondering if you had some suggestions for favourite patterns?

The pond is stocked with rainbows (a few different strains apparently) and I've seen a few pics of decent sized fish.

So far I've been tying a variety of buggers and stoneflies, i have a variety of streamers as well.   Do you have any other personal favourites?  I'll be casting from shore FYI

Thanks in advance!

(t minus 11 days to opener)

#2 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Try some yarn egg flies in different colors...might do the trick if the others don't work.

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Wheres this derby?

#4 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

I was wondering about the eggs - do you just let them float in the slack water?  I'm used to drifting them in a run, but I'm pretty sure this is a featureless pond - so alot of still water.

The derby's at some place in Kitchener, can't remember the name.  There was only 30 open spots that filled up pretty quick so I'm looking forward to it!

London fishing store Angling Sports is putting it on.

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

my go to stillwater trout flies for this time of year are leach patterns, worked slowwwwwwww. Either in neutral or bright gawky colors to promote aggression.

chironomid patterns, either larva or pupa if the leeches dont seem to be working; fished dead under an indicator or with a slow wrap strip.

Eggs may work but in all likely hood the fish will be keying in on the food thats around them all year (minnows, leechs) and if the weathers right you may see some early hatches which is where the chironomids come in

#6 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

IMO ponds don't have the features necessary for egg patterns because the flow is insufficient to move any real eggs once they hit bottom, so they aren't really available as food.  I definitely agree with the suggestion of leeches, minnows and chironomids (midges).  The water will be quite cold so real leaches won't be on the move, but fish memory might make them work.  The midge imitations can be fished below a bobber because they rise vertically and slowly to hatch.  Minnows will be in the shallows for the warmest water, so fish those imitations near the bullrushes.

In a pond I am familiar with there are plenty of crayfish.  I think the WBs fished low and slow imitate them more than leaches at this time of year, but it might be a good idea to fish a better imitation, something with a bit of orange in it.  Good luck, my warm-up outing on Sat. has been cancelled.  :-(

#7 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

Well I didn't mean egg patterns to imitate eggs; I was trying to give him a hint toward tying a fly to look like the fish pellets that these fish are fed on a regular basis. I am pretty confident that it will work. It has worked in stocked ponds before.

He already has a variety of buggers, stone flies and streamers and is looking for other suggestions. I like the midges though.

#8 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

my go to stillwater trout flies for this time of year are leach patterns, worked slowwwwwwww. Either in neutral or bright gawky colors to promote aggression.

chironomid patterns, either larva or pupa if the leeches dont seem to be working; fished dead under an indicator or with a slow wrap strip.

Eggs may work but in all likely hood the fish will be keying in on the food thats around them all year (minnows, leechs) and if the weathers right you may see some early hatches which is where the chironomids come in

^this!

Leech patterns do wonders, especially when suspended beneath an indicator in choppy water :D

I'm hoping I'll be able to hit some still water on Friday with GBA - fingers crossed!

#9 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

Well I didn't mean egg patterns to imitate eggs; I was trying to give him a hint toward tying a fly to look like the fish pellets that these fish are fed on a regular basis. I am pretty confident that it will work. It has worked in stocked ponds before.

He already has a variety of buggers, stone flies and streamers and is looking for other suggestions. I like the midges though.

^ this is a good point.

most fish are fed by pellets in these commercial ponds. unless it natural feed only. a yarnball that imitates those pellets can be killer.

if its natural fed. leech and midge along with what you already have. the leech in varying retrieves/colors till you start getting the hits will probably be your best bet... imo

good luck brother, hope to see some good results

#10 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

I was wondering about the eggs - do you just let them float in the slack water?  I'm used to drifting them in a run, but I'm pretty sure this is a featureless pond - so alot of still water.

The derby's at some place in Kitchener, can't remember the name.  There was only 30 open spots that filled up pretty quick so I'm looking forward to it!

London fishing store Angling Sports is putting it on.

Oh okay yeah I called yesterday full up. Wish I would of known about this sooner. Good luck.

#11 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions gents! I really like the idea of the pellet too, I didn't even put two-and-two together with your egg suggestion ;)

I'm tying up some leeches and more nymphs right now - I'm used to dead drifting nymphs, not really playing them too much...do you just 'wiggle and twerk' the nymphs to give them some movement in the water column (with a slow strip I assume)?

Should I even bother with any dries or is it too early in the season for that (I've honestly never been a dry guy but I do have a stockpile).

@kit: sorry man,I know they're having a pike derby at the end of May you could probably sign up for :)

thanks again!

#12 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

What about a pellet fly?

#13 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Just curious, what sized midges do you guys usually fish? I'm not much of a stillwater guy.

#14 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/987

Midge larvae are usually beige/brown, reddish or greenish.  They rise slowly from a soft bottom vertically to the surface and sometimes when tired drop back an inch or two before resuming.  A curved (scud) hook is useful because they are a little curved as they undulate upwards.  As they approach the surface a gas bubble develops between the outer layer and the adult so the white (or silver) is one of the links.  A strike indicator/float/bobber/ is useful as your fly has to be at the proper depth for the time of day etc., plus any wave action is sufficient to imitate them correctly.  Retrieve the float very slowly.

Size 16 would be the largest, and #20 is the smallest I care to tie.

#15 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Got back a few hours ago - needless to say we all had a great time!  I ended up in 8th place which was better then expected - the mini buggers seemed to be doing the trick!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions gents, I appreciate it