• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I dont often find myself crusing this subsection of the forum and fly fishing is a new art to me. Recently i dug up an old fly reel from the basement, its a "Bristol No. 66". I was curious if any of the members here had come across such a reel. i would like to pair it to a rod for fishing streams and rivers which i cannot float fish. I live in hamilton, so my typical trip would be to a creek like Whitemans. Back to the reel, in reality am i better off saving the reel and buying a new model? I'm also assuming whatever line that is on the reel has far past its expirey date. I have no idea the weight which presents a slight problem when matching the line to a rod. Or is a fly reel a fly reel and it doesnt matter as long as it spins and holds line? Thanks for the help in advance

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

most fly reels are rated for 3 weight categories, so for instance, 1/2/3 then 4/5/6 then 7/8/9 some will do only 2 weight categories.  

but depending on the condition of the reel, you may want to consider just buying a new one.  with out knowing the weight of the line, i would replace it so you caan match it to the right size rod.

#3 swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Older reels can be fun. Many people love to fish them and/or collect them. I don't know much about you Bristol, but I'd guess its a "click and Pawl" type reel. The clicker is generally designed to stop the reel from over-running. Drag is generated by applying pressure to the spool with your fingers. Modern reels usually come with built in drags and at times may be easier to use, but if your reel still turns 'true', you could fish it. As to size, measure the reel diameter (in your case you might want to measure the spool diameter). If its around 31/2" your probably looking at matching it up with a (6) ,7 or 8 wt fly rod. If the spool width is wide (say approaching 1" or more) then it has pretty good line and backing capacity and might make a for a salmon/steelhead reel, otherwise think more river trout, bass and pike. I'd buy a new line for sure. If the old one happens to be silk, hang on to it, it maybe refurbishable(is that even a real word?). Good luck.

#4 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the information guys. There is a small knob on the backplate that does activate a click and pawl design, esssentially the same clicking design as my centerpin. Swiftcurrent you wer spot on with the dimensions. The reel has a diameter of 3 1/2 inches and is 1 inch wide.  

Attached Images

• photo 3.JPG
  • photo 1.JPG
  • photo 2.JPG

#5 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Google is such a handy tool.

http://fiberglassfly....php?f=4&t=3361

http://www.adamsanglingbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5342

http://www.trout-fly...-fly-reels.html

pictures

The reel appears to have several design similarities to a Pfueger 1400 series and the Ocean City brand.  It is totally metal and of a simple design.  Therefore I suggest if you are handy at all that you take it completely apart and clean it, regrease/oil it and use it.  They are worth about $45 on a couple of auctions online (although one guy is hoping for $75 or more).

The line and leader a not as old as the reel, maybe only 10-12 years old - so it is basically a modern line (though not the latest).  It is a floating line but the dirt and maybe a couple of cracks at the most-used end will detract from that feature.  It should be washed with a bar of face soap and well rinsed. 

It would be fine for starting out, particularly for bass poppers or sinking flies (streamers) for bass or trout.

The other puzzle you have raised is that  you want to fish Whiteman's Creek type rivers.  When I go to places of that size (for trout) I use a 4wt or 5wt rod, usually of 8ft or 8.5ft.  The Bristol 66 reel (from the linked info) seems too large and heavy for a 4 or 5 wt rod.  Soooo...

I think you need one 4wt outfit for smaller rivers, and a 9ft 7/8wt rod to go with your Bristol to fish for steelhead, bass and pike.  Good luck. :cool:

#6 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thats a nice old school reel. Yeah as Jack said take it apart and clean it and reoil it. 

#7 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thanks guys, that's a lot of good information. I appreciate the help.