• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Giant Hippo

Giant Hippo

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

IM thinking about whether i should go for a med or a med-hvy rod for my next purchase.

I will be fishing T-islands and harbourfront areas, and will be throwing topwater(poppers/wake), jigs(1/4-1/2oz swim/arkie), and various weedless lures in weedy areas on a 10-12lb mono.

Would a med rod be strong enough to fish these areas(ie, turn a fish around before you get tangled)? Never fished these areas before, and I cant judge the strength of a rod needed. I mostly fish sparsely vegetated areas with my ultralight. Going to try weedy fishing this summer.

The rods(all casting model) im looking at are:

Med: Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'10", Shimano Compre 6'6", BPS Bionic Blade 6'6", 

Med-Hvy: Shimano Compre 6'10", BPS Bionic Blade 6'6", Rapala R-Type Custom 6'8"

I understand that there is no industry standard for the power of a rod, so every company is slightly different. Of the rods that I have listed, which ones are sufficient/safe for fishing in weedy areas?

#2 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

If I were you I would go with a Medium Heavy fast action rod. I find theyre more versatile, you can do most things well with it. Also it you gives you the extra backbone when your fishing in weedy areas. Just my 2 cents.

#3 Giant Hippo

Giant Hippo

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

If I were to get a med-hvy, I would have to use some lures, 1/4oz,  with 10lb mono, on a rod rated for 3/8-3/4oz lures with 10-17lb line. what are the consequences of using a lure/line thats underrated for the rod?

#4 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

with my med-hvy i can turn fresh salmon or a carp around no problem (on the rods part, the reel shuld be good too) id say go with the 6'10 compre i have the sellus and their pretty similar thats just my 2 cents though 

#5 Bart

Bart

Sunfish

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Look at the 7' med heavy mojo bass by st croix.. Had mine for 2 years it is advertised as a spinnerbait rod but has got tons of back bone to pull fish out of heavy cover, good length and action to pitch/flip jigs into cover, fishes top water in open and weedy areas surprisingle very well, and obviously pulls weedless lures awesome (like the spinnerbait) which it is made for. And its 110 bucks with 5 yr warranty. Awesome rod you should consider.

#6 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

I agree with the others go med hvy for the islands

#7 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

My staple rod is a 7'0 Rapala Magnum, I think it's called Medium, although I used to have a very similar rod that was "Medium Heavy". So as you mentioned, these classifications can vary from brand to brand. The Magnum was very cheap, $40 or less, and I can't say I have any issues with it. Works great for all of the fishing I've ever done in Ontario. 

#8 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

to add to my post, if you ever wanna fish in the U.S you can use the med-hhvy no problem ive caught like 40lb + redfish on my sellus, its a great rod if you ask me. if youve never fished in saltwater,a 5lb croaker would fight like a 10lb steelie, saltwater fish are STRONG and are quite fun to catch

#9 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

i would go med/heavy for sure, it has more backbone and i just find it more fun to use then a medium, i just got a simax exclusive, it regulars at 140, i got it for 60, they are on sale for 90 right now. It has tons of backbone, really light, very sensitive, i can feel panfish hits on it no problem and setting the hook card is not an issue for those big pike. It is the best rod i have used in a long time for medium/heavy rods, i would suggest it for sure. It also has a lifetime warranty, available in 6'6 and 7' in both casting and spinning.

#10 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

If I were to get a med-hvy, I would have to use some lures, 1/4oz,  with 10lb mono, on a rod rated for 3/8-3/4oz lures with 10-17lb line. what are the consequences of using a lure/line thats underrated for the rod?

Tossing lighter lures on a heavier casting rod can end in backlash in my experience (lots of tangles!)

If this helps:

lighter lures = lighter rod  = lighter cover

(med power: 6'6 - 7', 1/4oz - 3/8oz cranks, jerks, topwater plugs, light spoons, 10 - 12lb line)

heavier lures = heavier rod = heavier cover

(med-heavy: 7' - 7'6, 3/8oz - 1oz cranks, frogs, heavy jigs, spinnerbaits, heavy spoons, 14 - 17lb line)

Just my two bits.

#11 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Might wanna start with the medium. Less backlashes.

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Tossing lighter lures on a heavier casting rod can end in backlash in my experience (lots of tangles!)

If this helps:

(med power: 6'6 - 7', 1/4oz - 3/8oz cranks, jerks, topwater plugs, light spoons, 10 - 12lb line)

(med-heavy: 7' - 7'6, 3/8oz - 1oz cranks, frogs, heavy jigs, spinnerbaits, heavy spoons, 14 - 17lb line)

Just my two bits.

^^this^^

#13 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

If this helps:

Just my two bits.

Yeah Ill have to agree with this as well.

#14 bbgobie

bbgobie

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Prefer lighter tackle
A med heavy will limit the lures you can throw. We also don't have 10# bass to haul in here

#15 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

Prefer lighter tackle
A med heavy will limit the lures you can throw. We also don't have 10# bass to haul in here

but we do have 10lb pike, carp, salmon, catfish 

#16 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

^^ haha exactly... But we also have to take into account the size of lure that will be used and what cover it will be used in etc.

#17 bbgobie

bbgobie

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Have never caught a 10 lb carp salmon or catfish while targeting bass

I guess to me its the sport
The same reason I don't bring out my bass gear for crappie fishing

#18 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

basicaly if u want a stiffer rod go medium heavy to heavy. and for a more flexible rod medium. i like stiffer rods since they are more sensitive