• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Snaggy

Snaggy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hey Guys,  I recently have taken up fly tying. I just want to give a quick thanks to a local guy (wayjep) who gave me some great materials at insanely low prices. He has tons of extra material and he's always looking to sell some, so if your interested be sure to contact him! Anyway here are my first few ties, if people could chime in that would be greatly appreciated, need to know what mistakes I'm making or any suggestions. I know that these are sloppy but keep in mind that these are the first 5 patterns I have tied. If you have any further patterns you suggest I tie, let me know! I fish for bass, brookies, bows, and panfish on the fly. Thanks!! 

First Tie 

Cone Head Wooly Bugger

4EE5FCBF-8640-4AD4-8B12-BE1EE2DE1862.jpg

#2 Clouser Minnows. (Been slaying Grand River Smallies with these)

AE488EB1-BB72-474D-B5D7-F51C303C1A36.jpg

897DD213-E09D-4856-908B-2E9EB7BC4AD5.jpg

#3 Foam Ant? Didn't really follow any pattern just tied up mquickly before a panfish outting. Sunnies smashed it all night.

EF23B950-FAB0-4A69-BA32-DF62A8884E35_1.j

#4 Little Minnow Imitation, Don't really know a name as i just tied off the top of my head.

C69017AA-CF73-49FE-BC07-28996C0F85D7.jpg

#5 Bass Popper (so far only sunfish been hitting it.)

2FA5ACCD-2265-4F26-A69F-599C6D78F82C.jpg

#2 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

better then i can do.

on the bugger you want a bit longer of a body and a shorter tail and less of a "neck" behind the bead.

clousers looks pretty standard. cheaper then buying them for sure

cant really comment on the other ones but good job none the less. you gotta start somewere :)

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

have a look here theres a bunch of examples of the flies you have tied there

#4 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Alright, let's take this one at a time, first the bugger. Your tail is very long, try to keep it to just 1 shank length (the distance from behind the eye to the bend or the hook), also find some blood quills (type of marabou) they have more even ends and make a straighter tail. Your hackle is also very long, buying hackle can be expensive but if you look around you can find indian necks that have very nice bugger hackles for under $10, look for feathers with a good amount of taper to the barb length. Also, try to keep the amount of visible thread to a minimum.

Second is the clouser, nothing is really wrong with this one but your thread is messy, this will get better as you get used to handling your thread though.

Because you made the ant up yourself there really isn't anything "wrong with it, again it looks like the thread is a little messy and some smaller diameter legs would look better but as long as it's catching fish there's no reason to change it.

Your minnow looks fine, just try to wrap over the thread at the back with chenille next time and keep the tail a little shorter to prevent short strikes.

Nothing wrong with the popper either, again cover up the thread with your hackle to keep things neat.

Keep it up!

#5 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Also, be careful with hook selection, it looks like you used fine wire aberdeen hooks, they bend a lot! For streamer hooks mustad and daiichi are my go to's.

#6 Snaggy

Snaggy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the tips Chris, I'll keep them in mind when tying. I have mass amounts of hackles that length, could I just trim it up? Only used the Aberdeen hooks for the poppers, the others I used Mustad streamer hooks.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the tips Chris, I'll keep them in mind when tying. I have mass amounts of hackles that length, could I just trim it up? Only used the Aberdeen hooks for the poppers, the others I used Mustad streamer hooks.

You could try it but it will look even uglier, use those big hackles for bass bugs and pike flies, they also have their place in tying classic salmon flies and streamers but you've got a ways to go before that. The other thing you can use them for is tails on dry flies, just use the stiffer ones.

#8 wayjep

wayjep

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hey Snaggy, good looking flies for your first. I went to the pond you told me about and landed my first largemouth. Actually it was insane and I got about 10 on the fly below. That's why it looks a little beat up. I owe you for that spot. It was awesome. I got a couple about 3 lbs and I think an even bigger one that broke off around a lot jam. Lots of others about 1.5 lbs. crappie and smallies too.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#9 Snaggy

Snaggy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Glad you had a good outing! The largies get quite big in that pond! Your smallie would be the first I've seen out of that pond. Did you bring in your pontoon?