• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

So I bought a fishing Kayak. I was hoping to try it out and get used to it on the lower slower moving credit. I know the salmon are about to start making some false runs in a few weeks or possibly sooner.

I've never gone after salmon on the fly. Any suggestions anyone?

I've got a 7-8 weight rod to use.

#2 Avid Yak Fisher

Avid Yak Fisher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Sweet! What kind of kayak did you end up buying?

#3 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Ocean kayak torque angler

#4 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

make sure you have a large reel with a lot of backing. I have been spooled off the pier with 150 yards on my spinning reel. 

#5 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

make sure you have a large reel with a lot of backing. I have been spooled off the pier with 150 yards on my spinning reel. 

That is so crazy!!!  Aghh! Cant wait!

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

That is so crazy!!!  Aghh! Cant wait!

I can only assume it was a fish that would have won the derby last year lol.

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

even the 20lbs will spool you,  if they decide to turn and burn, not a whole lot you can do to stop em, on a kayak though, a regular setup will do, since you can chase em down easier

#8 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Ocean kayak torque angler

I looked it up, that kayak has a built in 36lb trolling motor. You could use that for all kinds of fishing. I have seen guys downrig with a kayak. I imagine if you used a lighter cannon ball it would be possible or run some copper or leadcore. What's the battery life like? It says the weight cap with motor is 350-400lbs,,another beep cycle battery wouldn't be out of the question to extend range.

#9 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I looked it up, that kayak has a built in 36lb trolling motor. You could use that for all kinds of fishing. I have seen guys downrig with a kayak. I imagine if you used a lighter cannon ball it would be possible or run some copper or leadcore. What's the battery life like? It says the weight cap with motor is 350-400lbs,,another beep cycle battery wouldn't be out of the question to extend range.

That's why I bought it. I do plan fishing the bigger deeper water next year when I'm more use to the boat itself. Scotty makers a downrigger/rod holder that works well with my yak.

This year I'm sticking to the lower credit and the shorelines to start. I could always buy a dipsy diver to get down a bit more.

I thought drifting the lower credit could be nice with the boat seeing how I could hold current a bit and dead drift some sort of fly .

I also hear trolling a plug slowly during the Salmons false runs can produce some nice strikes.

#10 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

even the 20lbs will spool you, if they decide to turn and burn, not a whole lot you can do to stop em, on a kayak though, a regular setup will do, since you can chase em down easier

The kayak has a trolling motor so I can follow them as the run!

#11 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

I had it out for the first time this weekend. I definitely need to work on getting launched down to a routine as anyone watching me at the public launch on the credit would tell you I was rather noob-ish.

The boat is solid when it comes to stability and I had zero issues with balance when casting with my fly rod.

The battery lasted the whole 4-5 hours I was out and only went down to 80% according to my charger when I got it back home. Mind you I was in the river so I never had to trolling motor wide open for long at all.

In the lake I had to use more juice due to wind and water conditions but I still moved around at a nice pace.

The boat is going to be killer when the salmon start to fill the lower credit when they are false running.

I think I'm really going to love my new yak for fly fishing and trolling.

BTW when did the lower credit get so polluted with rock bass? I couldn't keep them off the wooly bugger I was tossing. They saved the day as I couldn't get anything else to bite it. There were some good size fish surfacing around me but I couldn't see what they were, I always just missed seeing them.

#12 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

so how did your fall season go with the new Kayak Matt ?  I was just looking up kayaks on the site and your post came up. I'm starting to consider one myself.