• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

weighted treble with a piece of cigarette butt (to make it look legit) i'd say is snagging. I've seen it done in the ditch....dude was watching the salmons and a soon as they start to push upstream, rod up, fish on....then someone from the crowd made him cut his line....he was smart enough to do it.

#22 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Legit question here.  Aren't most rivers and tribs "no treble hook zones"?

I know where I fish its illegal to use trebs. Seem them at the rivers edge all the time.

#23 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Legit question here.  Aren't most rivers and tribs "no treble hook zones"?

I know where I fish its illegal to use trebs. Seem them at the rivers edge all the time.

I'm not sure if it's illegal but i've seen a lot of people using spinners with trebles all the time. or small j13s in the rivers.

#24 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

I guess I haven't been lucky enough to see it multiple times, all im trying to say is that there are a lot of different ideologies about salmon upstream and as long as someone isn't snagging or scooping with a net and as long as they are obeying the law we should leave them alone, we have no right to feel superior or think we're better fisherman just because we have a shorter leader LOL

#25 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

My dentist told me to always floss. Dudes a doctor, and I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. ;)

#26 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Flossing is good and should only be done in front of a mirror, not in front of another angler....slight chance of swimming with them salmons...

#27 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Sorry dont agree. I watch them bite a lot of the time so i know they hit. I drift above the pod so its pretty hard to floss. Never seen a 25 pound nook tip up like a trout and smash a chunk of.skien i guess eh? Chinook salmon are eating machines for 3 years offf life and it just doesn't shut right off. They definitely slow down tsteelies are the same, btw

I have had chinooks strike various baits and flies.  They do eat (or maybe attack) during their spawning run, definitely not much tho.  Check out this November boot I caught swinging an intruder.  Thought it was a steelhead for a sec.  It definitely ate the fly, I was on the other side of the river, blindly swinging for steel.

IMG_3071.jpg

#28 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'm not sure if it's illegal but i've seen a lot of people using spinners with trebles all the time. or small j13s in the rivers.

Treble hooks are legal where the regulations permit it.  Some rivers ( or stretches of river) during certain times of year have single barbless hook, no live bait, rules in effect.  If not, trebles are legal.

Check the regs for that info.  Just because people snag with trebles, doesn't make that type of hook illegal.  Its also not illegal to floss, as long as the hook connects in the mouth, also in the regs.

not that I advocate using trebles in the tribs and flossing, just saying, poop is legit

#29 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

we're better fisherman just because we have a shorter leader LOL

its not about the leader so much bud its the fact that they intend to place their line in a way so as fish swim by it get caught up in the mouth. usually that involves a longer leader then normal.

to some thats no better then snagging but trying to make it look legit.

why not toss a gill net while at it lol

#30 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Treble hooks are legal where the regulations permit it.  Some rivers ( or stretches of river) during certain times of year have single barbless hook, no live bait, rules in effect.  If not, trebles are legal.

Check the regs for that info.  Just because people snag with trebles, doesn't make that type of hook illegal.  Its also not illegal to floss, as long as the hook connects in the mouth, also in the regs.

not that I advocate using trebles in the tribs and flossing, just saying, poop is legit

CIL spinners are a definite no-no!!!

#31 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

as far as spinners and spoons It really depends where you are fishing. Some little creek you can actually see the fish or something like the Niagara are 100% different. Don't get me wrong I love float fishing but lots of the float fishing done is flossing. Double bead setups with 10 foot leaders in 2 feet of stacked up water setting the hook ever foot or two is something I see all the time in the spring. 

#32 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

You can floss pretty much using any method.  All you are doing is lining your line perfectly with the fish and have it go into its mouth and the lure/fly gets pulled into the mouth.  No rig alone can be pointed out as a flossing method.  Hell even a fly rod with flies can easily and efficiently be used to line any fish if that is your intention.  I can differentiate a snagger pretty quickly by the hook size, amount of weight or the little hook set you see done at the end of a drift.  Tell tale snagger. But it gets a little harder to tell a flosser by the gear being used.

As for salmon striking flies and lures they do so out of instinct and anger.  I have coaxed salmon to hit a fly after drifting it multple times by a fish.  They seem to get pissed off and then strike hard.  They aren't eating when they enter the fresh water (rivers).  They hit out of aggression and instinct.

#33 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

dont get me wrong but when i fish for salmon i see them hit flies on the surface, and if the water is clear enough and im within the range where i could see my bait underneath, i personally saw them hit my roe bag right in front of me, IMHO i dont think a roe bag will annoy them, for them to hit it with their mouths, i honestly think they are hungry just from trying to go up and trying to reach their spawning grounds. But i agree with you i beleive that when they hit lures i.e. little cleo spoons, j plugs and all, i think its to smack the fish away from where they are, i think they get annoyed or protective when there is someone close to them besides their wife or hubby!!! LOL!!!

they will hit roe bags, only to destroy them.. fish r wild animals, they will kill off others so that only "there's" will survive..... 

#34 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Chucking spoons is the only way I enjoy trying to catch salmon. Its worked in the past and I have always had hooksets in the mouth. The fish absolutely crushed the spoon.

#35 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

they will hit roe bags, only to destroy them.. fish r wild animals, they will kill off others so that only "there's" will survive..... 

point taken, reminds me of lions tossing cubs at the cliff that were offspring of another male lion,

#36 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

DON'T BE THESE GUYS ON THE RIVER

#37 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

DON'T BE THESE GUYS ON THE RIVER

What the hell are these guys doing.  Pure noddies.   They got fly rods and reels from some discount store, lined up with what looks like mono.  Holy Amateur hour.

The comments are entertaining....

"A drag free drift?!?!? You are using braid or mono on a flyrod and lining salmon in 2 ft of water max...wonder why we never see any hookups or technique explained....lining fish on redds, an excellent demonstration"

OMFG. these guys are ridiculous,,  I just checked their latest video, Alaskan steelhead.  Theyre doing the same poop to steelhead.  flies on the outside of the head.  This time they decide to use their spin casting rods upside down instead of just swapping the handle to the other side of the reel.

#38 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Holy man. Lol.

#39 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

It's so easy cavemans do it. lol.

#40 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

You can floss pretty much using any method.  All you are doing is lining your line perfectly with the fish and have it go into its mouth and the lure/fly gets pulled into the mouth.  No rig alone can be pointed out as a flossing method.  Hell even a fly rod with flies can easily and efficiently be used to line any fish if that is your intention.  I can differentiate a snagger pretty quickly by the hook size, amount of weight or the little hook set you see done at the end of a drift.  Tell tale snagger. But it gets a little harder to tell a flosser by the gear being used.

As for salmon striking flies and lures they do so out of instinct and anger.  I have coaxed salmon to hit a fly after drifting it multple times by a fish.  They seem to get pissed off and then strike hard.  They aren't eating when they enter the fresh water (rivers).  They hit out of aggression and instinct.

^^^^^^^ this!

they stop heavy feeding, but will still eat if the opportunity comes up and its something that looks like they want to eat, otherwise, you're trying to induce an aggressive or territorial strike