• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hey OFF. I have been away for a little visiting my brother in Haliburton. Still got a week left up here and the fishing has been great. It has more so just been taking out some family and just swimming but yesterday I put my hat on grabbed my tackle box and went out with my brother for some serious smallies and we definitely located them! You guys can guess the size of the 2 fish here. Here is a hint, they were 31 inches and 29.3 inches. I am 6'1 260 lbs so you can use my body as a reference!

Attached Images

• 10557659_10152631001943909_3650933870548164338_o.jpg
  • 10569065_10152630974618909_9065373762657881086_n.jpg

#2 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Wow, you had some provincial record fish there

Current OFAH - Record :

Smallmouth Bass

Weight (lbs.) = 9.84

Length ( in.) = 24.0

Girth (in.) = 18.3

Date (m/d/y) = 09/26/1954

Angler = Andy Anderson

Waterbody = Birch Bark Lake

Closest Community = Kinmount, On

Lure or Bait = Data Unavailable

Based on that, Id say the bigger one was 12 lbs?

#3 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

I wish! They were both really long fish that is for sure but the biggest of the two was 6.2. Hence why it is not like the typical short football 6 pound smallmouth. I am sure more people have caught smallmouth like this where there were not short and fat but long and thick.

#4 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Very nice smallies, what where you throwing?

#5 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

definitely some monsters, good job

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

How was the fight?

#7 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Suuuuhhey pig pig pig!

#8 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

What pigs! Can't imagine the fight you had man! Nicely done!

#9 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hey! So I was using in 30 feet of water top water baits and jerk baits. I got the biggest one off a senko aha. My brother thought he saw a shadow follow behind his spinnerbait so I quickly grabbed my senko and tossed it in. The fights were all amazing. The acrobatics of these fish are just such fun. Even if I had lost the fish, seeing them jump 10 times made my day. This photo is another one I caught right in front of my brothers dock. He has a really sweet weed bed 30 yards out. I went out grabbed my top water bait and just starting hammering half a pound to 2 lbs smallies and then to finish it off, this one came like a rocket out of the water to hit my bait!

#10 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Here she is!

Attached Images

• 10421510_10152632479023909_4784380145893570518_n.jpg

#11 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

It's very late and I'm very tired, but am I reading this correctly, you said the smallies were 29"+?  Either you're dealing with a mutant strain or you're measurements were quite off, and I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Not trying to be mean, those look like very fun smallies to have caught. But a 2.5 foot smallie?

#12 rybak

rybak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

It's very late and I'm very tired, but am I reading this correctly, you said the smallies were 29"+?  Either you're dealing with a mutant strain or you're measurements were quite off, and I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Not trying to be mean, those look like very fun smallies to have caught. But a 2.5 foot smallie?

So ... I took a stab at analyzing the photo by using some common human anatomy measurements like the average width of eye and length of an ear to come up with the following:

eye: 15/32" to 15/16"

ear: 2.52"

In pixels on the photo:

ear: 80

visible eye: 30

fish: 840

fish to ear ratio- 1: 10.5

fish to eye ratio- 1: 28

According to average ear length the fish is: 26.46"

According to average visible eye width the fish is: 26.25"

So, my crackpot science sort of confirms that the fish was a BEAST! nice catch.

#13 andrak

andrak

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

That fish is a beast whatever the measurements were. Nice catch!

#14 creek chub in your pocket

creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hey OFF. I have been away for a little visiting my brother in Haliburton. Still got a week left up here and the fishing has been great. It has more so just been taking out some family and just swimming but yesterday I put my hat on grabbed my tackle box and went out with my brother for some serious smallies and we definitely located them! You guys can guess the size of the 2 fish here. Here is a hint, they were 31 inches and 29.3 inches. I am 6'1 260 lbs so you can use my body as a reference!

nice smallies, id imagine 5 and 6 pounds?

either way, great catches and the fun and fight is what its all about!

2 beautys!

#15 Hank Jr

Hank Jr

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Nice fish thanks for the report

#16 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

So ... I took a stab at analyzing the photo by using some common human anatomy measurements like the average width of eye and length of an ear to come up with the following:

In pixels on the photo:

26" would still be a mutant smallmouth. 

Do your measurements take into account that the fish is being held out in front of the fisherman?

A picture can make a bass look longer than the CN tower due to positioning..

#17 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

those are some awesome smallies! wow!!

#18 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

biggest smallie i got was 18" and i thought i got a hog...26" that's like yao ming of smallies...

#19 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

First off, nice fish regardless of actual size. Good couple hours of fishing. :)

Now I'm going to rip it apart... :razz: :mrgreen:

In pixels on the photo:

26" would still be a mutant smallmouth. 

Do your measurements take into account that the fish is being held out in front of the fisherman?

A picture can make a bass look longer than the CN tower due to positioning..

Hence crackpot science as rybak stated. His method of estimation is only believable if and only if you compare two objects that are within the same plane in the photo. For example...measuring a segment of a finger that is held against the body of the fish.

But...it does prove a point the fish was over estimated.

Certain common objects can offer some estimate of the fish...regardless of how big or small the person in the picture may be. People often claim they are such and such height and weight and grossly overestimate fish size. I just had to look at the size of the ball cap visor and say BS because an unbent ball cap visor is usually 7"-7.5" wide. When bent, it ranges from 5.5"-6.5" wide...depending on the size of the "roof top".

Otherwise...to prove a point...I set this experiment up...

2 American pennies (Don't have Canadian pennies anymore :( ) set on a piano bench exactly (measured) 12" away from each other in "depth", and 1" slightly offset with each other laterally.

First picture was taken with the camera lens set exactly (measured) 22" above ground, and exactly (measured) 12" away from the closer penny (and exactly 24" from the further penny). This is a fairly unrealistic situation where the object (fish and angler) is so close to the lens...but use here to illustrate a point.

IMG_2444_post.jpg

In this case, the closer penny is 191 pixels in diameter, while the further penny is 101 pixels in diameter. If we use the further penny as comparison for "actual size", then the penny that is closer is enlarged 89%...it almost doubles in size! I don't really need to tell you that. You can probably see that the penny that is further away is 1/2 the size.

OK...let's bring the camera back from the pennies.

Second picture was taken with the camera lens set at the same height (22"), and exactly 36" away from the closer penny (and exactly 48" from the further penny).

IMG_2445_post.jpg

In this case, the closer penny is 68 pixels in diameter, while the further penny is 51 pixels in diameter. Again, using the further penny as comparison for "actual size", the penny that is closer is enlarged 33%! Again, I don't need to tell you that the penny that is further away is about 3/4 of the size.

So...as you can see, the enlargement factor is quite severe. I don't think I need to tell anyone that holding a fish closer to the lens makes the fish look bigger...but I don't know if people are aware just how much "bigger" the fish looks.

The further you set apart the pennies, the bigger the discrepency in size. I love how people always mention how big they are in the picture. If you claim you are taller and wider in built, it also implies your arms are longer and the fish is held out further...which means the actual size of the fish is actually smaller than it appears. It works against you...not for you.

But still, rybak's estimation has merits. If we take my measurements and enlargement ratios to what rybak has measuered, assuming that the photographer was 36" away from the fish and the fish was held out a reasonable 12" from the face (which I'm being generous...because with arms from a 6'1" body it is more than 12"...after all, a ball cap brim is about 5" long)...then you have an enlargement ratio of 33%...or flip it around we should shrink the fish to 75% of the apparent size...

That means the fish is 19.8" (round up)...Which is what I estimated without doing all that silly photography and calculation anyways.

Again, I'm being generous here assuming that the fish was ONLY held out 12" from the face.

All that to say...the smallies looks to be 4-5lb fish...and people should not overestimate an Ontario record breaking fish length without a tape measure...because that estimation certianly looks fishy. A 31" smallie it isn't unless you can show some pictures of the fish beside a tape.

BTW, if you really claimed the smallie is 31" long, then your forearm must be 24" long. You must be an orangutan...

#20 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

The record SM was caught in 1955 was just under 12lbs and 27 in long. I would agree with muskiebait that both fish are around 20"