• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CDNChrome

CDNChrome

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hey guys I'm getting more serious into steelhead and salmon fishing on the centrepin and have decided it's time to start tying some of my own flies. Right now i only tie the VERY basic glo-bugs and SJ worms but would like to get more involved with other patterns. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at considering I'm new to this and will be fishing them under a float using a centrepin real, I'm thinking maybe egg sucking leech and wooly buggers as they seem easier for a noobie like myself to start with.

Also any suggestions on material? I have a decent vice, scissors, bobbin etc.. but should I buy a kit with some starter materials or go by things separately? Reason why I'm considering the kit is that I honestly don't know where to start with material selection and most of them come with a book and patterns....maybe I should start with the book.

Thanks,

#2 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yup you can also do wooly buggers, egg sucking leeches, maribou jigs and streamers just to name a few. They are all easy to tie and they all work.

#3 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Stoneflies. I like Montana stones with a.chartreuse head

#4 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

With bows and.salmon your not totally having to match the hatch. They're pretty dumb and will bite it if presented right

#5 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

ok lake run rainbow (steelhead) are totally different ballgame in terms of flies...i suggest you pick up two reading sources: 1. fly tying fundamentals 2. steelhead books, there are tons that mention flies and effects on lake run trout. 

Don't buy a kit if you are committed to fly tying then go for quality up front...good luck.

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

olive green hares ear nymphs, size 8-16

pheasant tail nymphs size 12-18

prince nymphs size 10 and smaller

WB's

ESL's

Stoneflies

all of these are pretty easy to tie, and all will produce fish

#7 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

ones that havent let me down are big stoneflies and the single egg ones.

some bigger nymphs are great too but the big-ass stoneflies have the most fish on for me

my go to is tandem big stonefly/single egg

or a bright woolly bugger in pink/purple etc

like TC said they really arent the smartest at this stage of the game. anything that drifts properly near their face is gonna get hit. 

#8 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

I use a size 10-14 slightly weighted hare's ear/ stonefly nymph hybrid...it usually works OK for me...flies are not my go-to "bait" on the tribs, but I'm starting to appreciate them more. Like Shmogley, I often fish them in tandem with a bead.
Personally, with the proliferation of beads, I don't think there is much use for yarn flies anymore ( some may disagree). Beads are cheaper, drift more naturally, and you don't have to tie them. Oh yeah, and they catch a lot of fish!
image.jpg

#9 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

I would agree with TC. If it's not roe i'm drifting, egg-sucking leech pattern or any dark patter works for me on salmon or steel. I have never caught browns in any other pattern than mayfly.

#10 CDNChrome

CDNChrome

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys time to find a good book, some material and start tying. It's not that I would rely on them but would just like some variety in my techniques, plus ever since I caught my first steel on a random clown egg pattern I tied I've been hooked on trying to catch them with things I've made...nothing seems to beat that feeling.

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys time to find a good book, some material and start tying. It's not that I would rely on them but would just like some variety in my techniques, plus ever since I caught my first steel on a random clown egg pattern I tied I've been hooked on trying to catch them with things I've made...nothing seems to beat that feeling.

catching a fish on something you made from raw materials is very very rewarding

#12 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

you should never 'rely' on a technique or 'go to' bait , esp. w. steelhead.  Like some mentioned already whats more important is the size and overall profile of the fly you're working.  They all work given the right circumstances, over the years you learn to carry which and when, its all experience.  I'm just starting out so I have way more flies than I need when I go out but eh...better to have an arsenal than limiting yourself right?  Flies just give you a different type of ammunition to shoot with, it can only be advantageous.  GIve it a shot.

#13 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

for steelhead i only fly fish, and my go to is the size 10 beadhead olive hares ear, for me, it has always produced

#14 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Come into Sail vaughn sunday, I'll get you sorted out :)

#15 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

#16 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hey chris What are your hours tomorrow i need some backing and running line. Might come down

#17 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'll be in from 10:45 to close tomorrow, I'm not the most knowledgable guy when it comes to spey setups but I believe Sean will be there too.