• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

So I was out at a spot I go to often, and I witnessed something shocking!

So I was about 30-40 yrds from 2 other guys and noticed they where arguing, so I stood back and watched ( I could not hear what they where saying ). So after 5 mins of finger pointing and arm waving one of the guys turned around and kicked the other guys tackle box into the river!!!!!!!  :shock:  Now the area I was at it very deep right at the shore and very fast moving water, so buddy right away tried to grab his gear. While the other guy started to run for his vehicle. ( I got his plate # make model etc ).

I also tried to catch this a--hole, but could not he took off very quickly and I had to climb out of my spot, I went over to talk to the other guy and gave him the vehicle info. He told me that he was at that spot since very early and the other guy came in and told him it was his spot and he had to move. ( again what a a-s). The guy could not get his tackle so I tried to help look for it but had no success. He said there was around $150-200 worth of tackle in it. Said he was going to call the police, so I told him my info and I would be a witness if needed! 

Could not believe this a-s!!  Personally I would have beating the living daylights out this pri-k!!! That being said he was quite a bit bigger and older then the other guy.

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

I feel sorry for the guy losing all his tackle.

Bur now that you know it's his spot, wait for him to come back and smash up his car.

#3 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

That's horrible!

Good on you for grabbing his info though. 

#4 rybak

rybak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Soo ... where is this spot so that I may camp it every weekend ? Seriously PM the details and I'll gladly stand there, mid-summer with an ice fishing rod, wearing a 'U mad bro?' t-shirt.

#5 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Luckily it was just his tackle box. 

I am not siding with either but it could a been alot worse than a spilt tackle-box.

Certain things in life just aren't ranked highly enough in my books to fight people. Its wrong on any level to behave like this, dis-repsect people or what not. 

Future complications I am sure can come of this situation, call the police let them handle it. Who is to say he doesn't come back there and camp out waiting for the guy. 

I wouldn't feel safe returning, I would also take this as a lesson learned (an expensive one) for future occurrences. 

I've been fishing the same waters for 20+ years I've never had to use harsh words to get my point across, but I also know when to fold em.

#6 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

know when to walk away, know when to run

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Can't fix stupid.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

So it seems the run has begun and "they" are coming out of the woodworks. I know one a'hole who waded waters to check if the other guys catch was legal or foul. and started yelling "you got it by the fin cut your line #@*!. While the other guy was like 20 feet away and by where i'm standing(about 6ft from the fish) I can't tell either. All I heard after coming from nowhere "if you don't get out of the water in the next minute you will be staying there for good!"....lol.

Idk man. It seems that during the salmon runs that some men starts experiencing PMS....

#9 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I can agree that it seems like Salmon season seems to bring out the "Fishing blues" 

I think a large part of it is that we are passionate about the same thing but all have different styles. Some can respect and understand, others point and talk others just want to catch fish heck some are here to help!

Whatever it is, Salmon are always going to be part of waterways in Ontario, its how we handle our neighbours while on the water that will ensure we will be there to catch them!

#10 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

That idiot would have been swimming if he tried that with me

#11 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Idk man. It seems that during the salmon runs that some men starts experiencing PMS....

More like rutting season for some guys------out there looking for nookie(s)

#12 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thats terrible man, it helps to be bigger, a little intimidating lmao. I always run into guys that claim ive snagged a fish and that if i dont cut it off their gonna snap rod, take my gear etc.. Even if i have snagged a fish ill bring it in take the hook out and revive it, no way is a boot gonna survive after a long battle with no reviving, i dont keep the fish so it doesn't even make a difference lol. I always make myself look like im ready to block the first punch but that's just so the other guy knows he cant push me around, if never get into a scrap on the riverbank, at least not in waders
😁

#13 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Soo ... where is this spot so that I may camp it every weekend ? Seriously PM the details and I'll gladly stand there, mid-summer with an ice fishing rod, wearing a 'U mad bro?' t-shirt.

^this except ill also have a drywall hatchet ready

#14 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Your willing to risk you freedom, health and safety over fish?

Im not judging, but one of the reason I/we like fishing so much is for the peaceful surroundings.

#15 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Im not judging, but one of the reason I/we like fishing so much is for the peaceful surroundings.

if your talking to me Ijay, i dont think im risking anything, if an @ss on the river thinks he can easily give me crap then hes wrong, im ready to defend myself but im not gonna sprint across the river to punch someone or damage their gear

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

peaceful surroundings only apply when you're fishing for bass, pike, carp etc

salmon and rainbow runs...and peaceful surroundings are hard to put in one sentence....sad truth. I always try to avoid the crowds...this is possible if you know more than one spot in one trib. Some are just to lazy to do it and converge in one pool. again sad truth. Even sadder. I've seen one guy fight a fish....that goes up stream...everyone decides to cast again...only for his fish to come back down and take 5-6 lines with him...the hardest part is trying not to laugh...

#17 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I wasn't singling any one person out, more or less a generic question. I find it surprising that people would be willing to fight over fish. 

Fish that are plentiful during the runs. 

I've had people cast over me, move in close, Ive had to wait my turn to cast. In the end we all caught fish and co-existed. 

DILLIGAF- That is really subjective, it sucks to hear that has been your expirence. As I said in another thread I have been fishing the same waters for 20+ years, I have had cases where people have done things to piss me off, sometimes even intentionally. I've always and will continue to opt for the high road. There will always be another pool to fish, another fish to catch. Nothing is worth my safety. 

While I completely agree and with most, I am not saying your thinking is wrong, I am just explaining that I wouldn't peruse an argument over fish or fishing location. 

#18 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

I wasn't singling any one person out, more or less a generic question. I find it surprising that people would be willing to fight over fish. 

Fish that are plentiful during the runs. 

I've had people cast over me, move in close, Ive had to wait my turn to cast. In the end we all caught fish and co-existed. 

DILLIGAF- That is really subjective, it sucks to hear that has been your expirence. As I said in another thread I have been fishing the same waters for 20+ years, I have had cases where people have done things to piss me off, sometimes even intentionally. I've always and will continue to opt for the high road. There will always be another pool to fish, another fish to catch. Nothing is worth my safety. 

While I completely agree and with most, I am not saying your thinking is wrong, I am just explaining that I wouldn't peruse an argument over fish or fishing location. 

So let me understand this correctly. Some one kicks 150-200 dollars worth of your tackle into the river you would just turn another cheek? Come on anyone in this situation would be angry or aggressive towards the assaulter.

#19 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Ijay, Like you, I tend to avoid confrontations. It's just my nature. Angling world is a small world. If you put time on the water eventually there will be a'holes you will come across. I am very quiet when I fish. For years I've been fishing a trib during fall and spring for the runs, I have seen a few regular faces I do not want to be with in one pool. They have pulled so many douche moves on other anglers that really everyone that knows them avoids them. Like I said, it is a small world, My love for this hobby will never let me compromise because of some d*ckheads in the water. It's this season that brings the best and the worst out of people in the angling world. 

#20 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

So let me understand this correctly. Some one kicks 150-200 dollars worth of your tackle into the river you would just turn another cheek? Come on anyone in this situation would be angry or aggressive towards the assaulter.

Your completely right, I would be ripe mad.

However, there must have been something that took place before a tackle-box went into the water (unless someone is clinically diagnosed with something I cant see someone just looking for tackle-boxes @ the shores edge) At the point of the argument/dis-agreement or heated discussion, I would opt to walk away/find a new spot/ move down river ect. 

This way, no tackle-box would end up in the water.

Even if it was the last salmon in the river that day at the last pool before the river dried up, its fish. I'm not willing to risk my safety over a fish.