• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charger

Charger

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hey everyone.  I'm originally from Round Lake Centre (a REALLY small town outside of a smallish town called Barry's Bay).  Now I'm living in Richmond Hill, but frequently go back "home" to visit family.

The fishing in the area is fantastic, and I haven't really gone fishing since I was a teenager.

Now I'm older, with a family of my own and I've decided it's time to get back in to fishing.  I have ZERO gear, and have no idea what I'm doing....   but I'm having a blast learning.

I'm planning on hitting up a small lake close to the Algonquin Park border (east gate) for Brook Trout next year (thinking first week of June).  I won't be fly fishing or anything (I'd be a disaster with a fly rod...), but from what I'm reading, in-line spinners like Blue Fox, or Mepps do the trick.  

During the winter, I will be purchasing a rod, reel, and a good "start" for tackle, and I need some advice.

MY QUESTIONS:

1.  What's the best size of spinner?  I'm hearing anywhere between a 1 to 3.  Since I'm starting out, I'm thinking I'll buy a bunch of 2's.

2.  The water will be either Clear, or Greenish in colour (likely CLEAR).  What are the best colours to use?  Also, anyone use the UV-Blue Fox spinners (or glo-spinners) right at sunrise or sunset (when the water is darker/shaded)  or are they just a gimick?

3.  Anyone ever use a small amount of Trout Dough on a Mepps Aglia?  

Alright, this is the starting point for me.  Very excited to get back to my roots!  I welcome all comments.  

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

Welcome back to fishing and the forum Charger :)

I spend a lot of time up in Barry's Bay chasing splake and brookies.  Although brookies closed Sept. 1st there are many lakes in that area where they remain open at all times of the year ( all stocked lakes in the area ) so check the regulations because you might be in luck.  Spring and fall are great times to angle for them because the fish swim shallow and during the hot summer months are mostly hunkered down tight to the bottom.

While the fish are shallow they are fairly aggressive and hit just about anything.  I always carry spoons with me.  Silver/blue - silver/green ( half and half ) are my go to however there are days when gold combos outperform the silver ( as for size I like to stay on the smaller size - 3/4 oz is a bit big for my liking although I'm sure they would work ).  Smaller Mepps work as well, I like Panther Martins.  A simple worm hung under a float will bank fish.  You can tip your spinners with worms or anything stinky however I find it doesn't make much of a difference, particularly with brookies.

If you have any questions feel free to ask - see ya around the Bay :cool:

#3 Charger

Charger

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the comments!  

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I just want to add that treble hooks are bad news for the little ones.  Pinch down the barbs or replace the trebles to single siwash if you are planning on catch and release.