• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 bass_master

bass_master

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ok so I just started fishing the salmon and steelhead runs and I need some help. I've been using 6lb test and every time I get a fish I'll be fighting it for like 10-15 minuets or more than my line snaps, above the bobber! i have been thinking of getting this line 

http://www.fishusa.c...tips and such. 

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate your time.

#2 bass_master

bass_master

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

sorry here's the link 

http://www.fishusa.c...ed-Spectra-Line

#3 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

I am almost sure i have covered this 3 times in very long threads. long story short, you need shot line for the hydrofloat, i would personally go with the thickest line they have, you can see it better and it floats the best. it is also not a good line for 0 and below temperatures, the water freezes in the air pockets of the line and it will sink or freeze.

#4 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

also i would only use that line exclusively for trout. buy braid for salmon and use a thicker mono leader if you are drifting vs casting.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

what line to use is such a personal choice, everyone will give a different answer as to which one is better

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Make sure your mainline is thicker in diameter than your leader line. This is what leads to the beak offs above the float.

#7 bass_master

bass_master

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

so what lb test line should I be using for the leader if I'm using the 20 lb hydro line? I'm completely new to this.

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

let the fish decide your leader weight.  start with 8lb then go down with clearer water.  the fish will move out of the way of your line if its too thick and they can see it

#9 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

what the heck is 20lb hydro line?  I use 10 lb mainline and 6lb leader for steelhead.

#10 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

so what lb test line should I be using for the leader if I'm using the 20 lb hydro line? I'm completely new to this.

get the 30lb, the thicker the better, you see it better. point of it is to float and be visible.

watch this video it will help you a lot.

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

make sure your main is stronger than your leader. for salmon i use 15lb main 6lb leader. for steels i use 10lb main - 4lb / 2lb leader. bobbers are expensive as hell.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

Ive never used this hydroline but 30lbs sounds crazy, if he is using a spinning reel he wont be able to get much line on there. I run raven 10 lb mainline on my pin because its cheap so I can respool a few times a month if I want to and it doesn't cost much at all. The raven line is underrated so I can use 10lb flurocarbon leader and not have to worry about breaking off above my float. If you want to stop losing floats all you need to do is have a stronger mainline than your leader, it sounds like you haven't been using a leader at all so if you make that change you should see an improvement.

If you are using a spinning reel check the line capacity before spooling up. You want to be able to get at least 80-100 yards on there if you ever fish big rivers. You may end up having to go down to 8lb but if you can throw some 10lb on there and use 6-8lb flurocarbon leaders.

#13 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Raven lines have different formulas for the different colours. Pink is a far better line than the neon green. I had nothing but problems with the green Raven. Pink was much more supple and didn't cause me any problems.

Now I use Trilene Sensation in blaze orange. Great line, very little twist, supple, lasts forever, and floats like a champ.

#14 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

I guess I should clarify I use the low vis moss green

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

trilene sensation is good but the price of orange is 3x the clear or moss green. what's up with that? i used siglon F pink when i started the pin. i have long since converted to trilene big game 15lb (salmon) 10lb (steel) and i'm never going back. my leaders are now mono as well. those cheap lebaron suffix 6lb - 4lb for 1k yards is like $4.99

#16 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

Nado they are talking about Pline Hydrofloat, i tried it last fall on my pin in 10lb. It is somewhat like braid but has a coating over it.

#17 bass_master

bass_master

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

thanks everybody I will probably go with big game 15 lb test, would a 10lb leader be good with that?

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

thanks everybody I will probably go with big game 15 lb test, would a 10lb leader be good with that?

Depends on conditions and where you're fishing. I would suggest having 6,8,10 lb seaguar or 4,6,8lb drennan fluro at any one time.

#19 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

Depends on conditions and where you're fishing. I would suggest having 6,8,10 lb seaguar or 4,6,8lb drennan fluro at any one time.

this! the water clarity and the fish will determine your leader size

#20 bass_master

bass_master

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

well a lot of the fish in there soper creek are around 10 lbs and the water is clear enough to see the fish but it's still not the best seeing conditions.

this! the water clarity and the fish will determine your leader size