• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

I have no experience with kids truth be told. But I do have a nephew turning 4 next week-end. I plan on cleaning up some old reels and rods to give him and some tackle.
My sis wants me to introduce him to fishing next year. Most likely at Glen Haffey in the Albion Hills as it is near their house. I am very excited to do this. I have never fished the conservation area, I think there is ponds stocked with Rainbows.
Any info?
Also, what would be best for a 5 year old? I imagine a closed face reel?

Alfie. Cheers.

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

spin cast reels would be best, i have some really good memories of my dad taking us down to the local pond to fish for perch and sunfish at that age. he used to let us use his cardinal 4's, until one got closed in a trunk lid and broke..........

i'll be in the same boat in a few years with my daughter. the most important thing is to catch lots and keep em entertained. but also to teach them at the same time

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

I was thinking spinner. Andrew never stops moving. I want to get him on fish.
To hook him forever so to speak.

Alfie

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

Take plenty of snacks and choose a spot where he can enjoy other activities if he tires of fishing.

#5 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

You'll have to get him to try the different reels to see what he's comfortable with.

My son was almost 5 when I took him out fishing. He didn't get the closed face setup. Handed him my 6'6 spin setup and it made sense to him. So you'll have to see what words best for him.

4 year old are tricky. He'll expect a fish incredibly quickly and will start asking if there really are fish there. You'll be a hero when it happens though.

The most fun was explaining what a bite actually feels like and him yelling out that when he made the connection between explanation and actually feeling it.

Like staffman said, alot of snacks, a playground nearby and remember, if he only gives you 10 minutes, then it's ok; it's not you, it's him lol.

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

My boy has been coming since 2. Started him on ice fishing. This past winter he was 3 and does well. Understands the fish finder and uses a spinning reel. For summer its his Spider-Man rod. Just worm and.bobber for sunnies, perch and bass. He has some angry bird rapalas but kinda scary with all the trebles!!!

All good suggestions about snacks and playgrounds etc. Sometimes just a walk on the trail with grasshoppers and stuff is good. Icefishing, J likes to make "trails" in the snow on the ice. The old "dad, look where I went !"
Number 1 is action is key. I take him to a pond close by which has lots of panfish, and its basically non-stop action!

Good luck! Fishing with kids is a blast!

#7 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

Spring Valley trout farm in New Dundee if you dont mind the drive....15 mins past Kitchener. Float goes down before it even hits the water. Great place for young kids....in and out of there in 40 mins max or your broke...lol. They also clean and bag your fish. Closed face push button job with drag set loose....bring a camera or video recorder....priceless. Just bait with corn, no mess no fuss and guarnteed fun. Glenn haffy can still be a challange....this place is loaded with fish and some big ones i might add. Be addicted after the first trip....good luck whatever you choose, nothing like taking a kid fishing something that lasts a lifetime.

#8 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

My $.02......make sure that whatever gear you give him...pinch all the barbs because it WILL happen sooner or later and barbless will be way easier to deal with, even if it just clothes.

You will have a blast with him I'm sure!

#9 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the tips. Pinching tha barbs is a good suggestion. As for snacks and other entertainment, we would be camping with his parents so Im sure snacks will be present and there will be other activities available. I said Glen Haffey, but I think where they go is actuaaly called Albion Hills.

Alfie.

#10 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

My three all started with the old Zebco closed reels off the dock, everything from sunfish to smallies, pike and occasional snapping turtle. Drop a bit of worm in,simple they don't have to chuck it a mile. Good memories