Photo

Any recommendations for small lake by inflatable within 1 hour of Burlington?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

This weekend's weather looks promising. I was hoping to use my inflatable with 30lb trolling motor one last time for the year. I like going after the bass and pike. Pretty much all conservation areas are closed by now.

This year and last I've already covered the following places within one hour:

• All rivers/creeks from Mississauga to Welland.
  • Jordan Harbour
  • Cootes Paradise
  • Binbrook CA
  • Valens CA (poor fishing anyway)
  • Belwood CA
  • Guelph Lake CA
  • Mountsberg CA (is the gate still open? though i kinda don't like this lake anyway but it might be the only option)
  • Puslinch (fish die off in the winter but heard there's till some pike kicking around)
  • Shade's Mills CA
  • Waterford ponds (this August much of the lily pads were surrounded by thick algae like on Erie. perhaps that's why I only caught one fish?)
  • Chippewa CA
  • Kelso CA
  • Fairy Lake Acton (poor fishing. small chance of catching the pike)
  • Island Lake CA
  • Brant CA
  • Pittock CA
  • All boatable lakes in Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon

The only ones I can think of are:

The Grand by Caledonia north of the dam. Never been but I'd rather be on lake.

And a couple of marinas big enough to putt around in for 3 hours. But that could be boring.

Did I cover everything within an hour? This is where it would be real beneficial to live in the East end and be closer to the Kawarthas and that gorgeous clear water.

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

I've caught some beauties out of chippawa, bonus because it's 12 minutes from my house. Jordan harbour, well if you like big muddy catfish than be my guest, personally I don't think anything other than catfish and carp can live in that warm, silty pond, could be wrong thoug.

#3 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

I've caught some beauties out of chippawa, bonus because it's 12 minutes from my house. Jordan harbour, well if you like big muddy catfish than be my guest, personally I don't think anything other than catfish and carp can live in that warm, silty pond, could be wrong thoug.

i was at chippewa not long ago and didn't catch anything. only one strike in like 3 hours. a trailer guy there told me that in the spring it flooded into the river and many bass went with the water. the water would have to be seriously high for that to happen but if that's true then it could be a while before that place recovers.

jordan is not my kind of water. heard there is pike and bass but few and far between. definitely more for rough fish. if i lived closer i'd give carp and cats a try.

i think i'm SOL here. might have to settle for a trib but the pike and bass are usually gone by now.

#4 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

Rhymo,

The pike are definitely not gone yet, the last few weeks the bass have been ramping down but the pike are heating up. Having some good action at some places mentioned above.

I live in Mississauga, fish from shore and more often than not travel less than an hour to fish. This guy joined me for a photo op Sunday, the best of many.

PM me, talk further

Attached Images

• biggunz.JPG