• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

So i have never float fished ( center pin ). I see here on this forum a lot of you use center pin setups. So my questions for you are as follows: I have a Fenwick Steelhead / Salmon HMX rod ( 10'6' extra light, moderate action 2-10lb rating 1/16th-3/4oz ) Currently use a spinning reel with this rod. Could i use a center pin reel with this rod? Also what equipment would one need to get started ( the essentials ).  I really appreciate and help/feedback or info, would love to start fishing with a center pin.

thank you for your help.

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Yep you can use a pin on that. Depending on the size of rivers you fish I would suggest going up to a 13 footer-but it all depends on the waters you fish.

#3 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Yep you can use a pin on that. Depending on the size of rivers you fish I would suggest going up to a 13 footer-but it all depends on the waters you fish.

Most of the areas i fish a "fairly small". That is why i thought it might be ok to use but was not sure. Now what other essential gear /equipment do i need ?

#4 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Sure.can use it. If you float fish with your spinning reel already its the same

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

Sure.can use it. If you float fish with your spinning reel already its the same

I have not been using it to float fish, i used it for piers a couple times besides that this setup has just been sitting around. That is why i thought about setting up a center pin setup. So i hate to admit i am a little lack luster in the way of float setups and gear required. 

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

So i have never float fished ( center pin ). I see here on this forum a lot of you use center pin setups. So my questions for you are as follows: I have a Fenwick Steelhead / Salmon HMX rod ( 10'6' extra light, moderate action 2-10lb rating 1/16th-3/4oz ) Currently use a spinning reel with this rod. Could i use a center pin reel with this rod? Also what equipment would one need to get started ( the essentials ).  I really appreciate and help/feedback or info, would love to start fishing with a center pin.

thank you for your help.

I have that same rod in the 12'6.  I love the super light action:)  I started float fishing with a 10'6 and you will be fine using that until you decide to get more technical.   Most people will tell you 12' (- +) but since you're just starting out you really dont know what youre missing yet ;)

#7 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

dont buy a centre pin. i have a friend that just put his cp away cause he cant handle how to use it. just use spinning reel. should do the same job. just learn how to mend line. your rod will b e fine. buddy had that rod for 10 years and caught all size of fish on it just fine. usually as a noob you want softer rod anyways. that way you mistakes wont snap the leader.

#8 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have that same rod in the 12'6.  I love the super light action:)  I started float fishing with a 10'6 and you will be fine using that until you decide to get more technical.   Most people will tell you 12' (- +) but since you're just starting out you really dont know what youre missing yet ;)

heeeyyyy!!! i thought i was the only one! what mainline did you use? i find that the guides somehow shreds my main specially after a few fish has been on it, so every outing i ended up stripping a good 20 feet of line from the end of the mainline.

#9 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

heeeyyyy!!! i thought i was the only one! what mainline did you use? i find that the guides somehow shreds my main specially after a few fish has been on it, so every outing i ended up stripping a good 20 feet of line from the end of the mainline.

How do you know its shedding your mainline? 

I was using siglon mono but i just bought green trilex or whatever its called, 12 lb.

#10 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

thank you for your help.

Rod questions has been addressed above already. 

Regarding equipment:

- a few different sized floats to accommodate for the area you fish in

- hooks .. opinions range from size 8 - 12.  I use 10s and 12s. Have 10s mostly right now so that's what i'm using.. haven't noticed a difference honestly.

- flurocarbon line for leader

- beads w/ pegs of some sort (tooth pick, dollorama basting brush bristles, pack of pegs from big box store, elastic bands..etc), or flies, or roe .. whatever you want to use. They all have their time and place, pluses and minuses. 

- micro swivels .. i use XXS size.

- tiny friggin split shots

- a link on what to do with those split shots: http://www.raventack...ng_patterns.php

- a camera to take pictures of yo sexy a$$ fish (mandatory at least 1 reel dunked in water shot and 1 hero shot)

Can't think of much else really. That'll get you on the water and get you fishing. 

#11 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

How do you know its shedding your mainline? 

I was using siglon mono but i just bought green trilex or whatever its called, 12 lb.

i hear a rough like sound on the retreive. and even when i feel the line itself it gets really rough, like you know how your line feels after a fish shreds your leader off a rock or branch, yeah thats how my mainline feels after battling even 1 good size fish. plus when im fighting a fish i could hear a grunt between the mainline and the guides, and in some of my videos you could actually hear the sound i was talking about thats why i started a thread about smooth mainline on the gear talk section, IR4J recommended using seaguar senshi, but up until now i havent re spooled the shift yet eventhogh i have the spool at home LOL!!!. maybe ill try and spool it up tonight and see if it does make a difference. may try it out someday this week if i get time to sneak off work. 

#12 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

Regarding equipment:

- hooks .. opinions range from size 8 - 12.  I use 10s and 12s. Have 10s mostly right now so that's what i'm using.. haven't noticed a difference honestly.

- beads w/ pegs of some sort (tooth pick, dollorama basting brush bristles, pack of pegs from big box store, elastic bands..etc), or flies, or roe .. whatever you want to use. They all have their time and place, pluses and minuses. 

- a link on what to do with those split shots: http://www.raventack...ng_patterns.php

- a camera to take pictures of yo sexy a$$ fish (mandatory at least 1 reel dunked in water shot and 1 hero shot)

Can't think of much else really. That'll get you on the water and get you fishing. 

i really laughed so hard on the last piece of advice! couldnt get over the sexy @$$ part!!! LOL!!!!

#13 bass0416

bass0416

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Have you checked to see if there is any damage to your guides or if there is dried dirt on them? Seems like that would be the likely source of your problems. Try wiping a q-tip on the inside of each of the guides.

#14 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Have you checked to see if there is any damage to your guides or if there is dried dirt on them? Seems like that would be the likely source of your problems. Try wiping a q-tip on the inside of each of the guides.

already did bud!, i tried to clean them guides every week plus the spool and backplate on the shift, so yeah for whatever reason it keeps shredding, im leaning towards the fault in the line, for 8.99 i guess it could only stand so much pressure. plus this is the smooth casting version as opposed to the XT or extra tough version. pfffffftttttt... i think this is what a cheapskate low budget pinning steelheader gets. cant wait to try the senshi. 

#15 bass0416

bass0416

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

already did bud!, i tried to clean them guides every week plus the spool and backplate on the shift, so yeah for whatever reason it keeps shredding, im leaning towards the fault in the line, for 8.99 i guess it could only stand so much pressure. plus this is the smooth casting version as opposed to the XT or extra tough version. pfffffftttttt... i think this is what a cheapskate low budget pinning steelheader gets. cant wait to try the senshi. 

I have had that same trilene smooth casting line on my reel for over a year now and it has never given me any problems. It's not the greatest line but it has been a workhorse for me. Strange, maybe you got a bad batch. Im due for a change of mainline too though.

#16 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

Regarding equipment:

Thank you I appreciate that info and help, any specific brand of line anyone would suggest?

thanks again.

#17 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

dont buy a centre pin. i have a friend that just put his cp away cause he cant handle how to use it. just use spinning reel. should do the same job. just learn how to mend line. your rod will b e fine. buddy had that rod for 10 years and caught all size of fish on it just fine. usually as a noob you want softer rod anyways. that way you mistakes wont snap the leader.

I will be buying a centre pin, the reel that was on that rod is now being used for a different application. I also want try a centre pin. As far as the rod if I enjoy this type of fishing I will upgrade the rod in due time.

#18 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

just my 2 cents...i have used my pin on any size rod. and mind you i use it even when short casting with my 7' rod (no float) for bass. for smaller rivers. 10'6" rod is perfect. If' i'm dead set on fishing a hole a know very well i know what rod I can bring for my pin. I have seen anglers fishing from 6' rod - 17' rod with a pin on my local trib. the only issue with pin is it's not for casting long distance.

#19 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thank you I appreciate that info and help, any specific brand of line anyone would suggest?

thanks again.

Another personal preference question really. 

When starting out, i wouldn't spend much on the main line. Many suggestions have been given previously but Andy's or Raven seem to be good to start with. You'll get birds nests and line twists and when buying Andy's or Raven or Trilene.. cheap to switch up and works just as well. 

#20 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

I have had that same trilene smooth casting line on my reel for over a year now and it has never given me any problems. It's not the greatest line but it has been a workhorse for me. Strange, maybe you got a bad batch. Im due for a change of mainline too though.

the downside to my rod is that it has the flared aluminium type of eyelets, as opposed to the plastic/hard rubber types, a few people gave me tips on how to try and minimize the shred but up until now no improvement, i would definitely try the senshi, cant wait to see what would the difference be