• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

the downside to my rod is that it has the flared aluminium type of eyelets, as opposed to the plastic/hard rubber types, a few people gave me tips on how to try and minimize the shred but up until now no improvement, i would definitely try the senshi, cant wait to see what would the difference be 

Did you end up buying senshi? I have a lot of spools left if you want to give it a go.

#22 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

dont buy a centre pin. i have a friend that just put his cp away cause he cant handle how to use it. just use spinning reel. should do the same job. just learn how to mend line. your rod will b e fine. buddy had that rod for 10 years and caught all size of fish on it just fine. usually as a noob you want softer rod anyways. that way you mistakes wont snap the leader.

Dont buy a Center Pin? Couldn't handle it? Your friend obviously does not like to learn things or have the patience to learn new methods of fishing. Center pin is very easy once you learn to use it and your spinning reel will collect dust if you just river fish.

Buy a pin, its too fun to fight fish with it.

#23 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Dont buy a Center Pin? Couldn't handle it? Your friend obviously does not like to learn things or have the patience to learn new methods of fishing. Center pin is very easy once you learn to use it and your spinning reel will collect dust if you just river fish.

Yeah i plan on buying one.

#24 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

Good.

#25 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

it is an age thing. if someone is in their teens or twenties they learn it 2 days. as 30s approach then gets harder, 50s and up good luck. he owns 10 tops of the line spinnings reels and rods, $300 plus, and very hard for to use centerpin. so might as well use something he is good at.
because my reel was in the shop i had to use my spinning reel for trout fishing for the  first time in 16 years, it was not as hard as i thought. just had to pay attention to the mend better. centerpin is more of a fad now. without getting into long conversations, unless you are using a good reel, most centerpin are not doing any better job than spinning reels.

#26 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

it is an age thing. if someone is in their teens or twenties they learn it 2 days. as 30s approach then gets harder, 50s and up good luck. he owns 10 tops of the line spinnings reels and rods, $300 plus, and very hard for to use centerpin. so might as well use something he is good at.
because my reel was in the shop i had to use my spinning reel for trout fishing for the  first time in 16 years, it was not as hard as i thought. just had to pay attention to the mend better. centerpin is more of a fad now. without getting into long conversations, unless you are using a good reel, most centerpin are not doing any better job than spinning reels.

So your saying because some is older that they will have a harder time learning???? Are you F--k'n kidding me.  I will buy a very good reel because the fact that i am older i have a lot of money.

#27 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

I'm sure the point has already been made but just to add some more here.

Centre pinning is a lot of fun. learning to cast is a new and fun experience that does not require a ton of practice but yes there is a learning curve. just needs a little patience.  Catching a fish on a pin is awesome because you typically would not have an automatic drag and this makes it a little more challenging because you need to learn to palm the reel smoothly to slow down the running fish without breaking off. I will dare to say that this makes retrieving a fish harder than it would be with a fly reel.

Regarding the rod size just keep in mind that you typically want your main line above the water as your presentation is drifting. This is easier to do with a longer rod especially if you cast out further.  Thus if you are fishing a narrower creek, you probably don't need a longer rod and may even appreciate a shorter rod.  That being said you can also add a wax paste to the first 50 feet of your main line to help it float above the water.  

#28 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

Did you end up buying senshi? I have a lot of spools left if you want to give it a go.

after the day i had a convo with you i purchased a spool, just need to jam it in the spool, i may need a couple of spools for the classic and the rtype, whats the heaviest test rate do you have?

#29 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

have to disagree here bud,

im in my 30's and find i can pick things up and learn faster then when i was younger and always in a rush. patience plays a lot here, and i seem to have gotten more and more as time goes by(fishing also instills patience)

granted, the first couple of days trying to use my pin with nobody to show me was pretty frustrating, after i got it working i was very pleased with it.

as well i see a lot of older fellows picking it up and enjoying it. from talking to a few on the water, many have only recently gotten into it (<3 years) and i dont see them struggling to figure out how to use the thing.

hell, my uncle has been a spinning fisherman his whole life. hes in his 50's now. i recently gave him my pin to try out and he had "good nuff" casts going within an hour and was having a blast with the mechanics of it.

hes now shopping for his own and has told me he doesnt even want to be out there with his spinning setup after trying the pin ;)

i dunno about this "fad" business either... this thing has steadily grown to the point now where i see spinning reels less then any other type of gear on rivers, its usually centerpin majority followed by fly with a very small appearence from spinning setups. i guess we will see.. 

not that theres anything wrong with spin. it has its place. i used to spin-drift before i got a pin. its a lot more work involved but it gets the job done.

and on lakes its a whole other story :)

TL;DR

fishing on the pin is fun and rewarding. and even old-timers can do it!

#30 Rivermaniac

Rivermaniac

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

See below

#31 Rivermaniac

Rivermaniac

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

[quote name="LordMykiss" post="319065" timestamp="1415151934"]it is an age thing. if someone is in their teens or twenties they learn it 2 days. as 30s approach then gets harder, 50s and up good luck. he owns 10 tops of the line spinnings reels and rods, $300 plus, and very hard for to use centerpin. so might as well use something he is good at.
because my reel was in the shop i had to use my spinning reel for trout fishing for the first time in 16 years, it was not as hard as i thought. just had to pay attention to the mend better. centerpin is more of a fad now. without getting into long conversations, unless you are using a good reel, most centerpin are not doing any better job than spinning reels.[/quote]

have to disagree here bud,
im in my 30's and find i can pick things up and learn faster then when i was younger and always in a rush. patience plays a lot here, and i seem to have gotten more and more as time goes by(fishing also instills patience)
granted, the first couple of days trying to use my pin with nobody to show me was pretty frustrating, after i got it working i was very pleased with it.

as well i see a lot of older fellows picking it up and enjoying it. from talking to a few on the water, many have only recently gotten into it (<3 years) and i dont see them struggling to figure out how to use the thing.

hell, my uncle has been a spinning fisherman his whole life. hes in his 50's now. i recently gave him my pin to try out and he had "good nuff" casts going within an hour and was having a blast with the mechanics of it.
hes now shopping for his own and has told me he doesnt even want to be out there with his spinning setup after trying the pin ;)

i dunno about this "fad" business either... this thing has steadily grown to the point now where i see spinning reels less then any other type of gear on rivers, its usually centerpin majority followed by fly with a very small appearence from spinning setups. i guess we will see..

not that theres anything wrong with spin. it has its place. i used to spin-drift before i got a pin. its a lot more work involved but it gets the job done.
and on lakes its a whole other story :)

TL;DR

fishing on the pin is fun and rewarding. and even old-timers can do it!

Well said Shmogley. I too took center pin and in my early 30's. I use to take things and give up to easily before but patient is the key to it. I know where the frustration is coming from. Hell the first day I was on a pin I couldn't get my presentation 3ft from my rod tip. Took me a couple of try to get the mechanics and still learning.

Now it's just a matter of time to get my pin to run smoothly. Still haven't catch any except the odd suckers and minnows but when I catch my first steel you guys will. E the first to know.[/quote]