Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Chaos haha

#2 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hahahahahaha. I caught a pretty big resident brown trout this year and that happened to me. I was fishing for this particular brown trout for about 4 months. Finally hooked her and the fight was great. Half way through my fly reel falls off my rod. I had to gently hand line her in. Luckily had a net. PHewww.

Nice catch BTW!

#3 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

It happens to Abu's often because they are crap, it's a known issue with the 5500,6500 c3/ c4. Even though they are larger reels they are not really designed for the wear and tear musky fishing puts on them when using heavier lures. 

#4 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

It happens to Abu's often because they are crap, it's a known issue with the 5500,6500 c3/ c4. Even though they are larger reels they are not really designed for the wear and tear musky fishing puts on them when using heavier lures

You kidding, right..

#5 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

I would think of anyone, nick would know. I fish 2 6500s and 2 7000s (love my big game HSN 7000) And no problems, yet.

#6 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

It happens to Abu's often because they are crap, it's a known issue with the 5500,6500 c3/ c4. Even though they are larger reels they are not really designed for the wear and tear musky fishing puts on them when using heavier lures

You kidding, right..

Nope, not kidding.

If you want an Abu designed for musky fishing then buy a Revo Toro Winch, they are specifically designed for musky and Saltwater fishing. Heavier drag (22lbs) and quality components that can handle the abuse on a day to day basis.

Talk to any reel repair guy and he will tell you the exact same thing, you might get to know him really well too if you keep using those reels ......Trust me, I know from experience. I have several destroyed 6500/5500.

Notice anything different about this C3 in the picture below???? It has a frame from a C4 because the original frame broke. The reel repair guy was out of stock of C3 frames. :neutral:

f77d3e0a-22f6-4e06-9180-74b48feb92a5_zps

More then likely the next part to blow up on that reel will be the pin and worm gear, the 6500/5500 are not designed to handle the heavy braids(80-100lb) and consistent pressure from very heavy large baits. They can be used for smaller stuff but eventually you'll have problems. There is a reason very few hardcore guys use the 6500/5500.

I've had a weld brake on the frame of a C3 6500, I know several others who have had the same problem. Common problem with the 6500/500 when trying to throw bulldawgs, pounder bulldawgs and other heavy baits. 

The 7000 tends to be much more durable from my experience.

#7 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

Do you think quality has suffered since prodution moved to Asia ? I have found the Swedish made reels more durable with less plastic as well

#8 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

yes, the original Abu Garcia reels were a little better.

#9 PBenson

PBenson

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

Bye Abu Garcia. Hello Shimano Calcutta B.

#10 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Bye Abu Garcia. Hello Shimano Calcutta B.

Calcutta D if you want a real winch  :cool:  :cool:

#11 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

It happens to Abu's often because they are crap, it's a known issue with the 5500,6500 c3/ c4. Even though they are larger reels they are not really designed for the wear and tear musky fishing puts on them when using heavier lures. 

I disagree completely.  My buddies and I use these reels exclusively and catch 50lb ocean run king salmon.  Handles great.  I think a wild king salmon will be a little tougher on a reel than a musky.

Perhaps the 80 to 100lb braid is overkill?  20 or 25lb mono or fluro brings in massive fish.  Even caught halibut with these reels on 25lb test. 

You obviously use them more than I do though as I mainly fly fish.  Just weird that they are busting like that.  I love mine. Bummer the newer ones are lower quality

#12 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

I disagree completely.  My buddies and I use these reels exclusively and catch 50lb ocean run king salmon.  Handles great.  I think a wild king salmon will be a little tougher on a reel than a musky.

Perhaps the 80 to 100lb braid is overkill?  20 or 25lb mono or fluro brings in massive fish.  Even caught halibut with these reels on 25lb test. 

You obviously use them more than I do though as I mainly fly fish.  Just weird that they are busting like that.  I love mine. Bummer the newer ones are lower quality

They aren't breaking from the fight of the fish most of the time, if it does the reel was already damaged and the angler simply didn't know it.

Musky for their size don't fight that great, especially compared to a salmon.

Like I said in my previous statement "Even though they are larger reels they are not really designed for the wear and tear musky fishing puts on them when using heavier lures"

It is the wear and tear of casting and pulling the baits that weigh up to a pound that destroys them. It's not like salmon fishing pulling a flutter spoon with no resistance. Imagine pulling a 25 foot 6000lb boat with a car.....it might work for a bit but it will blow up.

As for line, you almost never use mono except for a few trolling guys mostly on st.clair and they will use 30 or 40lb with a 130lb leader. 

Using mono is really stupid to cast for muskies, you'll end up killing a musky because it will eventually snap the line.

I don't know a single professional musky fisherman who uses mono to cast, everyone uses 80,100 and 150lb test for a reason, baits cost anywhere from $10-$100+ a piece and the stronger lines make sure the fight is fast and keep the musky from building up lactic acid which can be fatal.

#13 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

And you can (sometimes ) bend the hooks to free a snagged lure. Hate loosing an expensive bait to the bottom !

#14 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

To each there own, whatever works. But when halibut fishing the ocean guides use 100lb test braid. 150lb for musky? Or anything else for that matter boggles the mind.

#15 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

Once again, the heavy lines are used mainly because of the stress that the large baits puts on the equipmentoin a consistant basis.

Another reason is very simple. We want to minimize the fight time and risk of being snapped off and killing a musky, it is simply unacceptable since it can be avoided.

Bass guys use 40/50/65 braid to flip jigs in heavy cover..... Same idea but just for muskies that can weigh over 40lbs and have teeth like knives.

#16 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:10 AM

... love that spot for muskies...

#17 PBenson

PBenson

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts