12 replies to this topic

#1 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

The river was on fire yesterday jan.31st.  Lost 3 landed 3

Gear used: ECHO ION 10 ft. 6 wt. reel, Orvis Battenkill IV , RIO Indicator Line 

1uz8ACu.jpg

OaFhMUT.jpg

EMpcJhZ.jpg

#2 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

Nice brown!

What were they hitting?

#3 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

wooly buggers

#4 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

beauties

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Very nice indeed Hucho.  Also love the reel!

#6 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

Very nice indeed Hucho.  Also love the reel!

Thanks, yes i love the reel cheap, well made and love that sound they make when fish starts to run :)

#7 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

Nice fish. Nice to see them caught on a 6 wt and Battenkill (that's exactly what I have haha). Do you just palm the reel for drag? I've never caught a steelhead on my batten kill but have thought of doing that.

#8 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Nice fish. Nice to see them caught on a 6 wt and Battenkill (that's exactly what I have haha). Do you just palm the reel for drag? I've never caught a steelhead on my batten kill but have thought of doing that.

I just have pawl adjusted on highest tension and i hold a line with my index finger and give the line additional tension if it goes for the run i just let go. It is fun. :)

You know that reel has Four-position click-and-paw ?

#9 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

I just have pawl adjusted on highest tension and i hold a line with my index finger and give the line additional tension if it goes for the run i just let go. It is fun. :)

You know that reel has Four-position click-and-paw ?

Nice. Yeah, I have a slightly smaller one (think it's 4/5/6) and haven't changed the position of it since buying it. Mainly just used it for small brown trout fishing - but i'll have to give it a shot on steelhead this spring! I kind of want to keep the drag low too, get all the fun of fighting a fish on a drag-less centrepin but with fly fishing.

#10 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

Nice. Yeah, I have a slightly smaller one (think it's 4/5/6) and haven't changed the position of it since buying it. Mainly just used it for small brown trout fishing - but i'll have to give it a shot on steelhead this spring! I kind of want to keep the drag low too, get all the fun of fighting a fish on a drag-less centrepin but with fly fishing.

Click and pawl get smother with use.  I just love that pealing noise when they go for the run. Drag is not that strong so you still need to control the reel it is there so you don't get birds nest on your reel. :)

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Awesome - wooly buggers are top

#12 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

Nice fish, especially that brown! I think I met you the other day on the river. I had the sage rod, you were telling me about your echo ion

#13 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

Nice fish, especially that brown! I think I met you the other day on the river. I had the sage rod, you were telling me about your echo ion

Yes sir, that was me.