• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Have questions about floatfishing just ask!....

#2 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

This forum is for all to share, ask, answers, share,........let's hear from everybody!.

#3 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

When fishing flies do you keep them right near the bottom or a little higher in the water column??

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

When fishing flies do you keep them right near the bottom or a little higher in the water column??

generally speaking, near bottom, especially with nymphs.  but it really depends on the fish you're targeting, Ive had fish hit my bait 3 inches below the surface, experiment, start on bottom and work your way up, once you find the zone, keep it there

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:50 AM

if you're fishing with flies, glo bugs, nymphs or buggers, just rig it the way you rig a roe. i have fished buggers & bead combos and have success with it...it's just a double whammy if you snap your line.  i like the combo during fall. now i'd fish beads all the way to opener.

#6 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

What would be the best rod length to start off with for center pin fishing steelies a king salmon on West tribs? Never used a rod over 7' so idk if a 13footer would be overwhelming to learn on? But I would also hate to get a smaller rod and have to upgrade quickly..

#7 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

What would be the best rod length to start off with for center pin fishing steelies a king salmon on West tribs? Never used a rod over 7' so idk if a 13footer would be overwhelming to learn on? But I would also hate to get a smaller rod and have to upgrade quickly..

#8 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

I have a 9.5 , 10,5 and a 11.5 and fish both species Salmon and Trout with no issues. Some rivers with heavy tree growth and cover you will appreciate a smaller road. On the other hand, rivers and creeks with lots of room on the bank longer roads are ideal. My next rod is going to be a 13.5 and I hope it stops there. Welcome to the addiction.

#9 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

I find that my 13' 6" rod has been universal in all conditions. Yes on smaller tribs with overhanging trees can be challenging but you just have to keep your rod turned (almost parallel to the water) when fighting a fish. It forces you to learn new ways of casting which only benefit you in the long run too!

With a 13'6" rod (or 13' rod) you can handle any waters, including the bigger rivers such as Niagara River, its just you need to be more mindful of your surroundings! And sometimes tell people to not get too close in tighter situations!

#10 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

My first float rod was a 10'6" Shimano and it wasn't bad for ease of use. Not too long, but enough to play a decent fish. I don't do a lot of float fishing, however, and if I did I'd likely tend towards something longer.

#11 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Okay thanks for the help, I would be fishing on the credit about 90% of the time( I hope its okay to post river names in this kinda discussion). I would think that the credit would have enough room to be able to easily use a 13'? Please correct me if I am wrong.

#12 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

I found this combo for a decent price. Is this a decent rod and reel to start out with? A Rapala R-Type, combo. Its on fishheads for $370 right now.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, I have tried to do as much research online about centerpin setups and it really is quite confusing :???:. Would like to keep it below $400, cheaper the better. But still something that will hold up.

#13 YourPalSal

YourPalSal

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

When securing a centerpin reel to a rod with sliding rings, is it just personal preference and what feels best to you as to the placement of the reel? Should I just fish with it, adjust the reel, fish with it, adjust the reel.... until I find what feels best?

Are there advantages/disadvantages to putting it farther up or lower on the rod? 

What specifically is meant when people say to "balance" the rod?

#14 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Sal, the point of balance will usually be at the front of the forward grip. It's important insofar as it will affect your casting ability and reduce fatigue from having to hold the rod level for periods of time, i.e. float fishing. Just adjust your reel to suit and play with it to find a spot that suits you. To identify any issues with poor balance, the best thing is to try it and see. Once you find your happy place, just lock your rings in place with a couple wraps of electrical tape, or whatever you have handy.

#15 YourPalSal

YourPalSal

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thanks Trev

#16 brownhunter

brownhunter

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:14 AM

This is my first season with the pin. I Was treated to a 13" amundson set up from my wife for my birthday.
So far I'm loving it. It has been a quick transition for me because I have fly fished before. but I have a question about shot placement.
Obviously you want the float cocked but dose it really matter in the size of the shot used I mean it is rather tedious putting all those tiny pieces of birdshot on where a couple lager ones would do the trick. To put this in perspective I am in the timber more then the water. all around dealing with shot is a pain in the ass.

What are your thoughts or ideas on this?

#17 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

Larger shot under float NP.
Purpose of smaller shot below that simply to insure bait running ahead of float.

#18 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

This is my first season with the pin. I Was treated to a 13" amundson set up from my wife for my birthday.
So far I'm loving it. It has been a quick transition for me because I have fly fished before. but I have a question about shot placement.
Obviously you want the float cocked but dose it really matter in the size of the shot used I mean it is rather tedious putting all those tiny pieces of birdshot on where a couple lager ones would do the trick. To put this in perspective I am in the timber more then the water. all around dealing with shot is a pain in the ass.

What are your thoughts or ideas on this?

Simply put;

http://www.raventack...ng_patterns.php

#19 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Length of rod won't matter as you get used to it. If you're starting, then casting and getting hung up on branches would be challenging. you can load up bigger shots under your float. just make sure to taper it down and use smaller shots as you get close to the hook. My best advice is not to rush on this kind of things...I'd rather take my time shotting my rig nicely...

#20 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

A lot of fishermen use bulk shotting,kike the slip float shotting in the link. You don't have to worry about the size of shot with this method. Some use a double shotting pattern where some shot are right below the float and the rest are placed right above the leader and again the size of shot doesn't matter. This is most often used in deep fast runs where you want to get your offering to get deep fast. Most of the time I use the accelerated pattern and adjust it to the run I'm fishing, but I use shot lines that I carry, so I don't have to waste time on the river rigging them