• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 fishin magician16

fishin magician16

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

I’m just getting into centrepin fishing and I can’t decide if Is should get a lower end reel to start and work my way up to a better reel over a few years maybe or if I should just spend the money and get a top end reel. I heard that they usually last for life so I’m wondering if the higher end reel is just worth buying. Any advice? Thanks

#22 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

You get what you pay for. I use a okauma raw 2 (low end reel). I have had it 4years and no problems. But when I use a high end reel, you can tell. Lighter, spins nicer, usually bigger so nice for picking up line quicker. Jus like a rod. A cheap one will work but more expensive usually feels so much nicer.

#23 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

I’m just getting into centrepin fishing and I can’t decide if Is should get a lower end reel to start and work my way up to a better reel over a few years maybe or if I should just spend the money and get a top end reel. I heard that they usually last for life so I’m wondering if the higher end reel is just worth buying. Any advice? Thanks

I own a raw2, sheffield & matrix XL...I've used an Islander as well...I know it feels good to have a nice high end reel in your hand but I think it all depends on the owner. At one point you might drop your reel in the water, accidentally have some sand on it....maintenance is key to having a good reel. I have my raw2 back when it was just $169 now it retails for $250+...the sheffield was even $189 when I bought it...now it's about $279. the matrix a bought from a friend for $40 because it needs bearings...All these reels will last you a long time if you know how to maintain them...catching fish...has nothing to do with it though.

#24 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have used a Sheffield, Kingpin Imperial and an Islander Steelheader. The sheffield has been my workhorse since I started almost a decade ago, no complaints. I picked up the imperial and I sold it after using it for a month or so, the tolerance was just too tight and I didn't like how the reel would seize if a tiny grain of sand managed to find its way in. Last year I picked up an Islander Steelheader and its a great reel, I used it for the past year and I thought that it was the best reel I have used by far out of the three. Two weeks ago I decided to start using the Sheffield again and I forgot how much I liked that reel, to be honest I cant really say if I like the Islander or the Sheffield the most anymore. 

So to answer your question, no I don't think it is necessary to invest in a high end pin starting out. Guys don't buy high end pins because the low end pins don't do as good of a job. They will try and justify the purchase with different reasons but at the end of the day they bought the high end pin for the same reason you would buy a high end watch. It's just a spool on a pin and at the end of the day any decent pin will catch fish, just like any decent watch will tell time.

#25 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Well usually a high end watch will be better than a low end watch if your using it for intended purposes. No need for a high end reel same as no need for a ferrari but when you get fed up of driving a Hyundai accent and have some coin to spend you sure can very much appreciate driving a Mercedes if you can catch my drift !!!!! Theres no doubt higher end reels outperform low end reels but you shouldn't be learning to drive on a Ferrari

#26 jeffheartofsteel

jeffheartofsteel

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

1) How long do you guys usually stay at a each hole before you decide to go to the next? Sometimes i feel like i just stay too long at a hole and realize it is already close to home time... 

2) As for shot patterns, I notice some people mention not to place any shots on the leader, and some people say it is okay, what are your thoughts?

#27 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Well usually a high end watch will be better than a low end watch if your using it for intended purposes. No need for a high end reel same as no need for a ferrari but when you get fed up of driving a Hyundai accent and have some coin to spend you sure can very much appreciate driving a Mercedes if you can catch my drift !!!!! Theres no doubt higher end reels outperform low end reels but you shouldn't be learning to drive on a Ferrari

Not to mention that if you give a 16 year old (someone new) the keys to a ferrari, its bound to get damaged!

#28 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

1) How long do you guys usually stay at a each hole before you decide to go to the next? Sometimes i feel like i just stay too long at a hole and realize it is already close to home time... 

2) As for shot patterns, I notice some people mention not to place any shots on the leader, and some people say it is okay, what are your thoughts?

I stay for about an hour and move. I put split shots on my leader. 6lb is the minimum test I would use. I put about 3-4 splits right in the middle of my leader. and heavier split shots under my float. If you're too worried about leader break offs. just use a shot line (line between leader and main line where you put your shots) I used to use a shotline but it's just an added knot if you lose both. it's a good start up. main line - swivel - shotline - swivel - leader - hook. if you're tying roe bags, don't bag more than 3 eggs. don't buy into the notion that bigger is better. sometimes smaller works better. proportion the size of your hook with your bait. smaller hooks bigger bait chance for trout to spit your hook easy is high.

On gear:

there are subtle differences between reels. A well lubed Rapala Type-R (low end reel) will run just as smooth as an islander / kingpin / drifter...

and take note, if people  can drift their float and bait with a spinning reel and hook a fish...i don't see why a low end centerpin is a big problem...I'm just happy to have learn the art of float fishing and be able to go out for an hour or 2 every weekend...

#29 jeffheartofsteel

jeffheartofsteel

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Thanks dilligaf. I'm not too worried about leader breaking off, but just wondered if it was ok to do. I guess it is one of those things every fisherman has their own preference.

I have been just bulking them below the float ,but didn't place any on the leader. 

#30 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Thanks dilligaf. I'm not too worried about leader breaking off, but just wondered if it was ok to do. I guess it is one of those things every fisherman has their own preference.

I have been just bulking them below the float ,but didn't place any on the leader. 

I don't put shots on leader if it's shallow water. You have to really be familiar with the pool you're fishing to know what's the ideal shotting pattern. but some pools, I put shots on my leader.

#31 TI Redux

TI Redux

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

Usually on popular tribs there's no changing.
All the proven runs are taken within the first couple hours.
But be patient and don't give her up.
Most times I find once the sun hits the pools in the fall things heat up quick.
I run 6lb main. No knots , basic tapered shot pattern is fine.
The goal is to run your bait ahead of your float.
Experiment running your float higher or lower.
That's the key.

#32 Creghead

Creghead

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi All, I want to get into centrepin fishing. I haven't gotten anything yet, but looking into rods, would I be able to switch from a spinning reel to a centrepin reel on a float/drift rod?
Specifically looking to pick up a 12'6" Fenwick HMX series float rod. The online description says it can use either type of reel. But I was looking for some advise from more experienced anglers. Thanks in advance.

#33 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

For me, I'd find the HMX reel seat position too far forward. If they still make them with sliding rings then buy it, otherwise buy a rod with sliding rings so you can decide where the best position of the reel should be for you.

#34 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hi All, I want to get into centrepin fishing. I haven't gotten anything yet, but looking into rods, would I be able to switch from a spinning reel to a centrepin reel on a float/drift rod?
Specifically looking to pick up a 12'6" Fenwick HMX series float rod. The online description says it can use either type of reel. But I was looking for some advise from more experienced anglers. Thanks in advance.

Essentially all spnning rods can be centerpin rods but not all centerpin rods make good spinning rods..

As mentioned by staffman, a sliding rings rod will give you much more versatility when deciding on your reel placement. That being said the new HMX reel seat does seem to be a bit better in terms of placement.

I would go to the store and pick some rods up and see which one feels right to you

#35 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

I have an HMX 11'6 that my son use for steelhead and salmon. It has a fixed reel so there's no room for adjustment like most float rods that have slip rings. Still a good rod. I used to have a spinning reel on it. Now my son uses a sheffield centerpin with it.

#36 Creghead

Creghead

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thx guys.