• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Quality gear costs money....................

Tx captain obvious

#42 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Tx captain obvious

So why are you ripping on people that buy good gear and wear it to a local river or stream? Don't be mad you can't afford any Simms gear bro......

#43 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

So why are you ripping on people that buy good gear and wear it to a local river or stream? Don't be mad you can't afford any Simms gear bro......

I just find it funny to see guys standing on piers all in simms. Not a big deal. I have plenty of high end gear, would probably make your head spin actually.

#44 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

What im trying to say is that i feel sometimes it seems that showing off a brand or buying the most expensive gear and bragging about it and these whole groups of guys showing up at a little creek with thousands of dollars of gear pushing guys with lesser equipment out takes away from the purpose of the sport. I dont mean offensive to anyone in particular.

#45 Fishbully

Fishbully

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

What im trying to say is that i feel sometimes it seems that showing off a brand or buying the most expensive gear and bragging about it and these whole groups of guys showing up at a little creek with thousands of dollars of gear pushing guys with lesser equipment out takes away from the purpose of the sport. I dont mean offensive to anyone in particular.

Coming from the guy pushing Islander Reels

#46 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

Coming from the guy pushing Islander Reels

Islanders are my least expensive float reel...if you want to be one of those guys wearing ugly fishbum sweaters with big browning stickers on your car and pink browning panties under your simms waders standing ankle high in a ditch be my guest...
You guys all have sand in the crotch here...so sensitive ha haaa take it easily a bit.

#47 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

Dude you are bragging about owning very expensive reels, yet you are knocking people who wear simms gear... can you say hypocrite?

When you're the person who thinks everybody else has a problem, you are probably the problem.

#48 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Im saying its not the gear that makes the fisherman and I didn't start this thread

#49 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

If at some point you've managed to structure your time to allow for fishing basically 24/7 for some period of time, you know that gear is the least important aspect of fishing. Many a old timer in Ontario know this, and fish with cheapest line possible, basic rod and reel. 

If fishing is something you love but you have other commitments and priorities (perhaps career, family, etc.) and you only get to spend a limited amount of time on the bank, I can see why this kind of angler would derive much of his/her satisfaction from their gear. Because they ain't catching squat! Hah kidding, but seriously if they have enough disposable income to deck themselves out in expensive gear, sobeit. 

I don't think local tackle shops are trying to convince anyone to mortgage their home for more gear or they won't catch fish. Let the splugers splurge, catchers will keep catching, regardless of their gear. 

#50 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

If at some point you've managed to structure your time to allow for fishing basically 24/7 for some period of time, you know that gear is the least important aspect of fishing. Many a old timer in Ontario know this, and fish with cheapest line possible, basic rod and reel. 

For those who have this lifestyle chances are they cant afford anything better.

I cant think of any over priced gear that doesn't offer a tangible benefit other than top shelf float reels. Better line means less twist or less breakage, better reel means more quality internal components so it will last long and you wont get into drag sticking down the road, better rod.....that's self explanatory.

I just picked up a simms jacket this year because I was sick and tired of spending days fishing in heavy rain and not being able to stay dry. I haven't had the chance to test it out yet but i'm really hoping it makes a difference. If you are a serious angler who will go out and fish regardless of the forecast then it pays to have the right gear. My fishing day is Saturday and I don't have the luxury of saying i'll just go tomorrow when the weather is better, regardless of the conditions I will be there.

#51 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

For those who have this lifestyle chances are they cant afford anything better.

I cant think of any over priced gear that doesn't offer a tangible benefit other than top shelf float reels. Better line means less twist or less breakage, better reel means more quality internal components so it will last long and you wont get into drag sticking down the road, better rod.....that's self explanatory.

I just picked up a simms jacket this year because I was sick and tired of spending days fishing in heavy rain and not being able to stay dry. I haven't had the chance to test it out yet but i'm really hoping it makes a difference. If you are a serious angler who will go out and fish regardless of the forecast then it pays to have the right gear. My fishing day is Saturday and I don't have the luxury of saying i'll just go tomorrow when the weather is better, regardless of the conditions I will be there.

I disagree. Personally, I wouldn't spent more on gear if the overpriced gear is MARGINALLY better and offering less than value.

You know I'm as serious an angler as it gets. I've had a Helly Hanson rain suit that was $70 (jacket and pants). It lasted me over 10 years. If I hadn't lost the rain pants on a recent trip, I'll still be using it. It has traveled to 5 continents with me and climbed mountains and sloshed though the Amazon. It kept me perfect dry and warm even in torrential rain. Why should I buy Simms when I can save that money and put it toward traveling?

As with any gear, how the gear perform and the longevity of the gear is dependent on care and proper use. Washing the rain gear and replenishing the waterproofing chemicals will make the gear last much longer.

Simms waders will fall apart after a season of hard, constant use. So what's the point of the pricey item in the end if it will fall apart anyways? For the pair of one Simms, I can purchase 2 pairs of cheaper waders and I can actually wear them harder without the worry of "don't want to tear my expensive waders" that I so often hear.

#52 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

We must have different definitions of dry and torrential rain, either that or the Helly Hansen suit is an impermeable sweat factory. You can take the same material my cheap waders are made out of and turn them into a rain jacket but I would rather get wet than wear something like that all day. Ive tried a few different waterproofing chemicals that were recommended and they do help but when you get into your fourth straight hour of a good rain they all succumb to the moisture.

Thats not the point though lol I was just saying that there are tangible benefits to spending more on good gear. Take a Shimano Sienna and a Shimano Saros, I own both and there is a big difference between the way the drag performs on them. Same with the Shimano compre rod and the Shimano crucial, night and day difference between the two.

#53 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

We must have different definitions of dry and torrential rain, either that or the Helly Hansen suit is an impermeable sweat factory. You can take the same material my cheap waders are made out of and turn them into a rain jacket but I would rather get wet than wear something like that all day. Ive tried a few different waterproofing chemicals that were recommended and they do help but when you get into your fourth straight hour of a good rain they all succumb to the moisture.

Thats not the point though lol I was just saying that there are tangible benefits to spending more on good gear. Take a Shimano Sienna and a Shimano Saros, I own both and there is a big difference between the way the drag performs on them. Same with the Shimano compre rod and the Shimano crucial, night and day difference between the two.

Dry = not wet.

Torrential = tropical monsoon.

How hard is that rain? I forgot my rain gear one morning and was soaked down the the undiee, socks and soles within 1min of rain.

Also...is Hurricane Katrina (H1 state) heavy enough (yes, I camped through Katrina)? How about Tornado warning?

2h hours of cool (temp wise) tropical monsoon in 30C heat. I'd take my Helly Hensen rain jacket any day. It is made of breathable material.

But anyways, while I am making my point, yes, I do agree there is a minimum level of competency in the gear. I'm not talking about wearing a garbage bag, or am I talking about fishing with a $20 reel. Simms, however, is beyond competent.

A great drummer can put out great beats using pots, pans, bowls and cups. If you're competent, you can adapt to even subpar gear. Is it more enjoyable with great gear? Sure. Is it necessarily worth that money for marginally better gear...not always.

I guess I'm just one that value the ability to travel vs. the need for top end gear.

#54 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:22 AM

For me, i value my high end wading gear. I dont get to fish often, so when i get the chance, i dont want to miss the opportunity. I got to fish 2 days after opener, and the first day it rained all day non stop. Both myself and my partner fished all day in comfort in knee to waist deep water (not running around east ditches where you dont need waders)
That is worth the money in my opinion. If i get 40 days out of a set of waders and wading coat, thats 25 bucks a trip to own the best gear. Most days i spend more on fuel alone. Ive had my g3 guide coat for almost 4 years so definitely got my money out of it. Waders for me dont last very long so i rather get a couple years out of them than cheaper ones that im lucky to get 10 days out of and go through the hassle of replacing them

#55 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Like I said, it's not the gear that bothers me so much but the attitude. I don't like trend followings and it seems these brands try to be trendy and overpriced. I have some older model simms gear, and some streamside waders and im just as warm and dry in both. Also catch as many fish on cheao brand float rods as high end ones. Again, Im not crapping on good gear but i am saying being a fanboy just because you can afford it is amusing.
If you can afford all this gear, pay yourself a trip to some real steelhead river and get out of the tiny creek flossing fish in ankle high water.like the fishbum crew did in tv

#56 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Dry = not wet.

Torrential = tropical monsoon.

How hard is that rain? I forgot my rain gear one morning and was soaked down the the undiee, socks and soles within 1min of rain.

Also...is Hurricane Katrina (H1 state) heavy enough (yes, I camped through Katrina)? How about Tornado warning?

2h hours of cool (temp wise) tropical monsoon in 30C heat. I'd take my Helly Hensen rain jacket any day. It is made of breathable material.

But anyways, while I am making my point, yes, I do agree there is a minimum level of competency in the gear. I'm not talking about wearing a garbage bag, or am I talking about fishing with a $20 reel. Simms, however, is beyond competent.

A great drummer can put out great beats using pots, pans, bowls and cups. If you're competent, you can adapt to even subpar gear. Is it more enjoyable with great gear? Sure. Is it necessarily worth that money for marginally better gear...not always.

I guess I'm just one that value the ability to travel vs. the need for top end gear.

While I do agree it comes down to the user of said equipment not the gear itself, drums aren't just drums. High end shells nowadays are matched for a cetain tonality. Sure an amazing drummer can make some insane music with a cheap set of pawn shop drums. But that same drummer can make even better music that actually sounds good with properly tuned drums made from high quality shells. Then again some people have no ear for music and just hear the smacking of a drum and no tone at all. Lol

#57 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

If you can afford all this gear, pay yourself a trip to some real steelhead river and get out of the tiny creek flossing fish in ankle high water.like the fishbum crew did in tv

^ Exactly.

Many people say they can't afford to travel...then the turn around to spent $400 on a reel, and $300 on a jacket...and everything adds up.

What does a ticket to BC cost when it is on sale? $400 return. And you can have a lifetime of memory fishing in world class rivers instead of local ditches.

For me, the local fishing is just here to scratch an itch...it's convenient...but after doing it for more than 20 years, it's all ho hum.

The real adventures is "out there"...and I'd much rather spend the money to get "out there".

And to your original point...yeah...not into this trendy stuff. The FishBum gear is way too annoying for my eyes. You have people wearing "bad ass" designs...and they're fishing for wimpy bass and walleye locally...thinking it's "hardcore"...whatever...

I'm sure my opinion will not be well received...but if you want to be hardcore, let your action speaks for itself...not your clothing. Go actually do something with your fishing that is truly unique and hardcore...not follow what everyone else is doing...

#58 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

And Muskie sure has his pics to prove this.

#59 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Tastes vary, if I don't have a taste for this clothing but someone else happens to, no big deal. Good on them for finding a niche. 

I also don't have a taste for girls with tattoos (and I'm sure they don't have a taste for me). 

$400 return to BC is pretty good, but even better deal is how cheaply you can get to Hawaii! 

#60 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:44 PM

Tastes vary, if I don't have a taste for this clothing but someone else happens to, no big deal. Good on them for finding a niche. 

I also don't have a taste for girls with tattoos (and I'm sure they don't have a taste for me). 

$400 return to BC is pretty good, but even better deal is how cheaply you can get to Hawaii! 

$450 return to Hawaii. Not kidding. My grandma lives on Oahu so I'm always looking at cheap flights to the islands.

How about $300 to Costa Rica or $500 to Peru?

$250 to Florida and you're truly fishing in bad ass waters.

The sky is the limit.