• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kingchaser

Kingchaser

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

Just wondering what people are fishing for floats. After fishing a well known east trib this week end. I was using drennan loafers and I was finding it hard to tell where my presentation was when adjusting my depth. I have always used blackbird clear floats before as I only have a local Canadian tire in my area and that's all they have but could always tell if u was dragging bottom or not. With the loafer I find if I can't see the part of what's in the water I can't really tell. Looking to see what others are fishing and pros and cons as to why thanks.

#2 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

Using Raven floats. Some like them and some don't. In clear water the black bottom may not be the best choice, but there are lots of sizes to choose from and they're pretty visible in the water.

#3 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Just picked up some of these Thill balsa Night 'n Day's. Talk about visibility...

Attached Images

• image1 (3).JPG

#4 Kingchaser

Kingchaser

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

It's not a matter of visibility it's just being able to see if I'm dragging bottom when trying to set float depth for proper presentation. Seems to always look like its floating straight up.

#5 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

drennan-crystal-loafer-floats-15000962-0

Hmmm..If it were me I would be going over trial and error of my rig to tune it in.

I use the Ravens also, good price and really bright. Personally I figured this one out by keeping my line taught and feeling and watching closely.

I find the Blackbirds don't last long enough

#6 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

red_white_bobber.jpg

thats the best visible float you can get on the market....with that float you will know when it drags bottom...why run the same float as everyone else on the drift...with this one, you can spot it right away.

#7 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

red_white_bobber.jpg

thats the best visible float you can get on the market....with that float you will know when it drags bottom...why run the same float as everyone else on the drift...with this one, you can spot it right away.

But that's a bobber. Ages 3 and under.

#8 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

That was the first bobber I used almost 40 years a go , back when a bread ball or corn would catch anything swimming.

#9 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

I just started using these

http://www.coolwatersfloats.ca/
An excellent float

#10 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

I like any clear float, haven't fell in love with slip floats like some. Mainly I use Blackbirds but use a lot of found ones...lol

#11 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Ha ha.
I'm with you on the found ones.
Can't remember the last time I've had to buy any.
I've found some that I've had to Google to figure out how to use em. Lol

#12 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

I have been using raven inline floats since I started steelhead fishing.  I love them.  I want to try slip bobber setup - what are the advantages/disadvantages of using slip vs inline? What are the better brands/sizes for slip bobbers out there?  Drennan has a lot but the smaller ones I find are way too thin and difficult to see.   Also, I have 13'6 rod.  If I am fishing bigger and deeper water/pools, (say over 10-13ft deep) is that even possible to fish with either float setup?  

#13 ourrug

ourrug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

If you go the slip bobber route it's not a bad idea to grab ones that have a brass grommet in the top, like the thill pro series, so your line doesn't chew through the plastic over time ;) 

http://www.lindyfish...es-slip-floats 

#14 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

I want to try slip bobber setup - what are the advantages/disadvantages of using slip vs inline? 

I use a spinning reel rather than a centerpin and I find casting a whole lot easier with a slip float even in fairly shallow water. It lets me cast with a much shorter length of line danging from my rod tip. I have seen some centerpin guys use them for the same reason---easier to cast.

#15 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

Redwing tackle blackbird clear floats have worked best for me

#16 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

Lots of good floats out there. Slip floats can help reduce line twist without the use of swivels. For really shallow water drifting in small creeks they are not necessary though. You dont need a long lead if the fish are aggressive. I like wood floats natural colors too.
Fish on !!