No replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

Perhaps you will find this interesting.

Was up by Gbay this weekend. Fished a trib twice as the harbour was too wavy for my dinghy. And only small lake nearby has bass and no pike.

This particular river is chock full of weeds. In one month from now, my 32 lb troller would be struggling. So now was the time to try some piking.

First day was trolling with a buzz bait on the surface around 5pm. Can't troll with anything other than surface lures due to the aforementioned weeds. Nice little pike hit it.

Second day spent two hours and had a following and a jab at a spinner 5 feet from boat. But then finally hooked up under the bridge in the shade. Water right now ain't that warm and the river full of hiding places in the weeds but got that follow and the hook-up under the bridge and no action anywhere else on the river. Hell of a fight too.

The one I landed was on a rusty lure I found on the shore. Pretty much every time I find a lure, whether wading or boating, I throw it on and catch a fish. I kept it knowing I'd need to change the hooks but I wasn't having any luck so I put on that lure and sure enough it paid off.

I only found it because we saw a goose freaking out 3 feet from the shore. This is the same river last year I saw a goose getting pulled down by a snapping turtle and the goose lost 1/3 of its beak and it's right wing was mangled. So we went over to have a look and the goose walked up on to shore. We got out on the grass and walked a few feet over to that spot and saw two gars cruising back and forth 3 feet from shore. I'm guessing those gars were either nipping at the goose or one of the dozen or so goslings that were there.

Took 3 casts at the gar but then they took off. No luck. Still have never caught one. Only seen them 3 times in my life. Anyway, found that lure right on the edge of the shore.

I have fished this trib 3 times and have nailed a pike each time. And I noticed they all have these black spots. Looked it up. Parasites. Only ever seen this in this particular water and nowhere else.

And, I've also only worn a Raps hat 3 times, 3 different hats, 2 different locations. I have a hat collection so I always throw on a different hat before I go fishing. Raps are my lucky charm. 3 for 3 on the pike. Two were my PB. Also, I'd like to think I brought the Raps good luck yesterday.

Anyway, in summary, if you find a lure, make sure you use it that day. 

gallery_29722_199_326994.jpg

CIMG7886 (Large).JPG

CIMG7888 (Large).JPG

gallery_29722_200_339244.jpg

gallery_29722_199_3802028.jpg

11699052_10153022554012957_4451466503608523355_o.jpg