• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 folmar26

folmar26

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

how do you guys have your kayaks set up for trolling when your targeting salmon and steelhead and what equipment would you guys recommend I will be moving up to ny a the end of the year from pa and have aa huge passion for fishing and would like to try something new any help or recomendations woud be great thanks

#2 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

This is my favourite. Trolling for Salmon and Steelies in my kayak. I go every weekend and usually slam some monsters. Some days I'll troll for hours just trying to find a school on the fish finder. Once I do I figure 8 the area hard. This weekend hit a school and came back on it 5 times. Every pass I got a big steelie or a decent king.

This is my yak. I run a downrigger one side and lead core opposite side. Gotta change the depths at which you are running bait until you find what's working.... once you find them there is nothing fresh water that even comes close.

My friend got stripped of 600 ft of line this weekend. didnt even get to see the fish and it didn't slow down either..... here is my yak. I also run a water wolf camera on my cannon ball and line. I took a screenshot of a big king smashing my lure..

Attached Images

• 20160716_143426.jpg
  • 20160716_143444.jpg
  • 20160716_183149.jpg

#3 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

Great looking rig !

#4 folmar26

folmar26

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Who makes your kayak and were did you get your equipment from like down rigger and rid holders

#5 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

Who makes your kayak and were did you get your equipment from like down rigger and rid holders

The kayak is called a Hobie Pro Angler 14.

All the rod holders and downriggers are Scotty products. Most well rounded fishing stores will have Scotty gear. There are little yak attack gear tracks all down both sides of the yak. Thus allowing me to place any holder, fish finder, or downrigger anywhere on the kayak.

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

The kayak is called a Hobie Pro Angler 14.

All the rod holders and downriggers are Scotty products. Most well rounded fishing stores will have Scotty gear. There are little yak attack gear tracks all down both sides of the yak. Thus allowing me to place any holder, fish finder, or downrigger anywhere on the kayak.

So impressive bud!  How do you steer the trolling motor?

#7 tombo

tombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Thats quite a rig you have there! Nice job.

#8 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

So impressive bud! How do you steer the trolling motor?

The trolling motor stays stationary. There is an ocean rudder that is retractable that drops down right in front of the trolling motor. The handle for it is opposite side of the motor controls. The rudder gives me a nice turning radius. If I use the Mirage drive (the pedals that drop down through the front) I can turn on the spot.

If you watch some of my videos you can see how everything is controlled. I've attached a pic of the rudder and control handle. Also the Mirage drive peddles that drop through the front. Without the trolling motor, this is what moves the yak.

Attached Images

• 20160719_181049.jpg
  • 20160719_181115.jpg
  • 20160719_181128.jpg
  • 20160719_182058.jpg

#9 folmar26

folmar26

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

thanks chrome bullets you do have a sweet set up I think im going to have to get a new yak and let the wife have my old fishing one its perfect for pa lakes and river fishing but not up in that area I might contact you later on more questions about your setup

#10 AJAK

AJAK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

Nice set up on your Hobie Chrome Bullets. I need to get my yak geared up for some Lake O fishing, looks like a blast.

What is your spinning reel and rod set up that you use for trolling?   

#11 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Nice set up on your Hobie Chrome Bullets. I need to get my yak geared up for some Lake O fishing, looks like a blast.
What is your spinning reel and rod set up that you use for trolling?

I've recently retired my spinning reels from this type of fishing. I've been spooled a couple times out there so I went and picked up a couple of decent trolling reels. A Rapala Delta and a Quantum Controller. Both hold about 2000ft of line. I've needed every bit of it out there.

Rods are a shimano downrigger series Rod, picked it up at Canadian Tire about 10 yr ago and she's never failed me. Also a Berkley Ugly Stick....love those things, they can take what these monsters have to throw at them.