• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DSmith

DSmith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

Had a fun day of micro fishing in a local southern ontario creek.  Caught about 10 different species using really tiny hooks.  Caught the smallest fish I ever have caught. I realize some of these pics might not be good enough to ID.

Here's the album of some of them:  http://imgur.com/a/VQbQ1

I am hoping some of you can help me with IDs.

Lets start with the ones I am sure about:

1. Longnose Dace

2.LogPerch

3.River Chub (90% confidence on this one)

4.the next two pics I am not sure what it is.  As it turns out a lot of tiny fish really look alike!   The photo tank is 4 inches long.

5. the next two pics I am guessing it is a very tiny spotfin shiner due to the very faint spot on its dorsal fin.

6.A tiny female creek chub(?)  I thought maybe a blacknose dace when I was one site, but now looking at the pics, the mouth doesn't look right.  This is definitely the tiniest fish I have ever caught.

Any insights would be appreciated!

thanks

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

Traveling and cannot see the pics at the moment. Will check them when I am back on Aug 16.

#3 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Chub, blunt nose minnow and shinner minnow. The rest I'm uncertain but you can google a list of all minnow species in Ontario and identify them yourself for fun. The cheapest way to catch these minnows is with a can of sweeten corn and a small hook. The corn costing 99 cents a can for the no name brand.

#4 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

Keep up these posts! I love the micro-fishing! I've been doing a bit too since I a) fish with a 4 yr old, B) don't have a boat and, c) it's too hot out to get many larger fish from shore. It's just really nice to hike a creek and fish.

Recently I was doing some small creek fishing and this guy came up to join me.

#5 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hey! Just checked you pics.

1. Yep, Longnose Dace

2. Yep, Logperch

3. Yep, River Chub

4. That's a Bluntnose Minnow. They usually have very thin but dark scale markings giving them a cross hatch look, with little "=" signs along the lateral line to form a very defined lateral stripe. The subterminal mouth is also key, and also the blunt head which gives them their name.

5. Yep. Spotfin Shiner

6. Yep. Creek Chub

#6 DSmith

DSmith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

thanks so much!

#7 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

That's a neat idea, I think I'll try to see how many species I can pull out of the local creek. I have some really small hooks that should do the job.

#8 DSmith

DSmith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

It is really interesting, and actually quite challenging.  The biodiversity of some of our creeks is astonishing. I've managed to catch 16 different species of fish from one little hole of a local creek.  

#9 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Awesome a microfisher in Ontario, I never thought I would see this. Most of them are in the states. I like u already man. U should make Youtube videos, I will sub to them if u do.

#10 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

Awesome a microfisher in Ontario, I never thought I would see this. Most of them are in the states. I like u already man. U should make Youtube videos, I will sub to them if u do.

There are more microfisher in Ontario than you would imagine...but why the video? Just fish and enjoy it.

Most of the microfishers I know in the US - Miciah, Levi, Greenwood, Alex, Pat, Ben, Josh, Elijah...don't bother to post most of the time...except for Ben on his blog. The real serious guys just go out and fish. They spend more time researching spots and fish collection data and have no time to bother with fishing forums or fishing blogs. Video editing...hahahaha!

#11 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:28 AM

Maybe I just like fishing videos and would love a microfishing channel for Ontario. I have subbed to one in California but u know that's just not home. Thats why I want the YouTube channel, it's my way of studying this with someone who is relatively speaking in my backyard. Plus I have a strong live for the little gaffers so, seeing others like that would be awesome.So if they made time for editing I think they would be rewarded. They would gain a lot of subscribers and views and get to share their passion with the world. What's werid about that?

#12 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Maybe I just like fishing videos and would love a microfishing channel for Ontario. I have subbed to one in California but u know that's just not home. Thats why I want the YouTube channel, it's my way of studying this with someone who is relatively speaking in my backyard. Plus I have a strong live for the little gaffers so, seeing others like that would be awesome.So if they made time for editing I think they would be rewarded. They would gain a lot of subscribers and views and get to share their passion with the world. What's werid about that?

Some people have time to take and edit videos. If you do, that's great. Make all the videos you like. People that I know - they have a job, a family and other things going on in life aside from fishing - and they don't have time to make videos. Myself, the last few months I was writing my thesis during the day, tutoring 4 nights a week, volunteering 4 hours on Saturday morning and then tutoring 8 hours in the afternoon. Barely have time to breathe, never mind going fishing, taking videos and editing them just to get viewers, subscribers and approval or negativity from a bunch of people who I don't know and frankly I don't give a darn about LOL.

Just from the Peru trip, it took 5 solid nights and a whole weekend just to edit all the photos, identify the species and put up blog posts. I caught 50 species - a video for each species...that's 50 videos to edit. No thanks.

My friends are not seeking popularity, subscribers and views. They simply enjoy fishing. Some do share their passion with their blog (Elijah, Josh, Ben and I) and others post up photos on Facebook (Miciah, Levi, Greenwood, Pat), but that's mostly to share their catches and passion with friends and like-minded species anglers. Personally, my blog is doing just fine as the medium to share my passion, and has helped me make and connect with good people. Although I have a GoPro, and have used it here and there in the past, it's too much off a hassle and distraction. I much prefer to focus on the fishing.

#13 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

Whatever man, I'm not commanding your friends, them, or you. I'm just saying that it would be nice if someone did that, someone who had time for it. I still don't really see why u distrubed by this?

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'm not disturbed but it at all, or think it is weird. I think you are overreacting, just like on other threads where you've overreacted on this forum.

You said you never thought to see a microfisher in Ontario. All I'm saying is that there are many more people who fish who don't post videos, or join forums or blog. They just go fish and enjoy it. They don't have time to edit videos. They see no need to share anything with anyone.

All I'm saying is that when you go fishing, you meet many great anglers who never visit forums. They don't watch YouTube videos. They don't go on Facebook. They don't Instagram their latest catches. They just go and fish and catch a ton of fish. They don't care how many followers or subscribers they have. They just spend the time on the water and enjoy the time. Not everything needs to be publicized. Some of the best anglers I know spent the least time on social media.

You keep mentioning in your posts opinions such as "who fish for mooneyes?" or "Gar are hard to catch on purpose". Those are all misconceptions if you just base it on social media. A lot of people fish for Mooneyes and a lot of people catch Gar on purpose, myself included. They just don't publicize it. I'm not making a big fuss about it, in case you are misread this. I'm just saying not everyone feels like they need to tell everyone everything, and share anything, to everyone.

I put friends on Longnose Gar every year, on purpose, and when we time it right we usually get on multiple fish. We just don't post about it all the time, or at all. Last year, there was a day we spent an hour straight hooking Longnose Gar. Doubles and triples were common. I got the whole hour as GoPro footage and got tired trying to edit all of it. At the end, I didn't see the need to share it and I just deleted all the videos. They were taking up too much space on my hard drive. We fish for Gar every year and it's not that special anymore. Just like many members here who don't see the need to take pictures of every steelhead they catch, or post about every fishing session they had.

IMG_1538_post.jpg

IMG_1544_post.jpg

IMG_1549_post.jpg

Hey, maybe instead of wishing, you can make videos of microfishing in Ontario to share with the world. Maybe, instead of commenting online, that time is better used to go out and hunt down micro species, make videos, edit them, and share them. ;) I'm sure you'll get lots of viewers and subscribers because there's a niche for it that is not filled right now.

#15 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

Ok that's good to know. Yeah I could I guess, but one thing at a time.