• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

Hey guys, I'm in Hamilton, looking for spots to visit for some fishing nearby.  Don't have a boat.  Grand River came up, do you know where I can fish there, any easy to access spots?  Preferably somewhere that I can park nearby and not have to walk for kilometers to the car?   Thanks in advance.

#2 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

There is 100s of km of Grand to explore, the key word being explore. I too am in Hamilton and could tell you lots of places but that doesnt guarantee fish on a certain day, they may be biting 5 miles downstream.
I can tell clearly you havent done any exploring if you dont know that a long walk is not needed to reach the Grand nearly anywhere.
And you are missing half the point of fishing if you are worried about walking a few km anyway. I have personally had some health issues this year and wish I could still walk those km and see the deer, foxes, hawks and the rest of nature happening around me. Be assured tho that my years of exploring have left me with no shortage of spots close to parking.

Alfie.

#3 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Alfie.   I appreciate your reply.  I should have clarified from the beginning:  I'm all for walking and exploring, but the reason I asked that is because going fishing is basically an outing for my whole family---my wife and two kids.  One of my kids is younger, and walking too much is not something she can handle, hence my question about spots I can park close-by.   Having said that, could you by any chance point to some spot I can easily access?  Even if the fish doesn't bite right there at the time I go, at least it will be an outing we'll greatly enjoy.

#4 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

And to clarify further---yes, I've never gone to Grand River, so that's why I'm asking.  It imagine it could easily turn out that I can stop pretty much anywhere and get to the river.  But still, I was hoping for some more specific pointers :)

#5 Aqua

Aqua

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Google "Grand River Fishing Access"

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

Google maps is a good place to start.

#7 Bassman45

Bassman45

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Wilkes Dam, Brant park have decent access - there is a nice area around Cockshutt Bridge but its quite busy i think for a reason...

#8 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

don't listen to bass man keep as far away from wilkes dam as possible it sucks but do go to cockshutt all of the brantford grand river big pike walleye and smallmouth are there as far as I am concerned. 

#9 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

don't listen to bass man keep as far away from wilkes dam as possible it sucks but do go to cockshutt all of the brantford grand river big pike walleye and smallmouth are there as far as I am concerned. 

what-you-did-there-i-see-it-thumb.jpg

#10 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Are there any Walley north of the dam at https://www.grandriv...lwood-lake.aspx

I fish the part's north of there for pike and SM. 

#11 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

So, I'm thinking about trying the grand river around Brantford.  I recently bought a canoe with a trolling motor, so wondering what my best bet is.  Bass, pike, walleye---whatever there is, I just like the thrill of the hookset.   What's my best access point for, let's say---the cockshutt  bridge?  Is it this little parking spot: https://goo.gl/maps/1MukDWRrZn72

Also, is it deep enough around the bridge, is water too fast, etc.  Any tips will be appreciated!  Alternatively, should I go above the dam at the Brantford conservation area?  Where do you think I'll have the best chance to work on my "fishing from canoe" skills?  

#12 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hit Brant conservation area.
Lots of canoe water on the grand from the park.
Great pool to cool off in when fished out.
Snack bar too

#13 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Hit Brant conservation area.
Lots of canoe water on the grand from the park.
Great pool to cool off in when fished out.
Snack bar too

Thanks, will do that one evening after work.  What works there?  Senkos, crankbaits, etc..  is there a lot of cover, or just go in the middle and cast the crankbait in any direction?