• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheKraken

TheKraken

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hey folks I'm just getting into fishing with plastics such as senkos,finesse worms, craw, flukes etc. Long story short I bought a boat load of them for dirt cheap from an ex-distributor.

What size hooks are best to use with plastics and what's the best location to be using them? Keep in mind that I'm usually limited to shore fishing.

What's the best way to fish them? A slow steady retrieve or jerkbait style?

#2 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

I Texas rig them and toss them into weed-beds. The lake I do most of my successful fishing in has a lot of weeds which mat near shore. Being able to toss the bait onto the mat and then drop it off the edge is gold. The weedless setup was nice when I was getting into fishing more since my casts into the neighbour's boat left no evidence.

#3 TheKraken

TheKraken

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

Lmao leave no evidence. Smart man lol now are you just letting it drop of the mat and leaving it there or what? I'm usually Texas rigging them as well but when it comes to the senkos I think the 2/0 hooks are a bit too small maybe.

#4 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

You listed a lot of different plastics and each of them can be fished in different ways. Size of hook depends on the presentation and the size of bait. The question is just too general. Maybe you can narrow it down a bit to help us help you.

For example, with the senko alone, you can fish...

Wacky

Texas

Shaky head

Dropshot

Floating wakebait

...etc.

Each of them requires a different hook size and hook style, and ultimately also dependent on the size of senko you are using. A 3" senko rigged to fish as a floating wakebait is very different from a 6" senko fished wacky style.

And like hooks, the best way to fish them depends on the style you are using, the structure you are fishing, and the mood of the fish. You can write an entire magazine article on how to fish wacky style senko alone.

#5 ourrug

ourrug

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

I just fished a 3" Senko style worm texas rigged weedless and weighted, with a 1/0 EWG hook and that landed me a decent sized Perch. Was looking for Bass but i wasn't complaining. I just threw it into the weeds and let it sink, pulled it up a couple feet and let it sink, rinse and repeat. 

If Bass Pro sells the ones you just got look it up and check the Question/Answers section. More often than not either a BP rep or another individual will have already mentioned what size/type hook to use. 

Tight lines. 

#6 OrilliaFishing

OrilliaFishing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

A few others already said kinda what I was thinking. I did a report you can download from my website but depending on the bait you're fishing will depend on the size of hook. I use a (I think) #2 wacky weedless hook with an o-ring on my senko's a #5 (I think) on my craw imitations. Sometimes, if you can find who makes them, you can hit up the website and they'll tell ya what size to use. YouTube is also a great way to see what others are doing. 

I did a tournament this year with a wacky rig setup and it didn't really put out but my partner who had it rigged Texas cleaned up. Just wanted that different presentation I guess!

#7 TheKraken

TheKraken

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:03 AM

I'm usually trying to rig everything Texas style just to keep it relatively weedless. I haven't fished them weighted yet either. What's the best way to fish them waited? Just throw a split shot on the line above the eye of the hook or on a small jig head?

#8 OrilliaFishing

OrilliaFishing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

I'm usually trying to rig everything Texas style just to keep it relatively weedless. I haven't fished them weighted yet either. What's the best way to fish them waited? Just throw a split shot on the line above the eye of the hook or on a small jig head?

I've seen a few different ways. Some folks just use a jig head and others use split shot. I'd suggest putting the split shot up a foot or two from the hook so you don't loose the fall action of the bait. 

#9 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

Plastics has become a big part of everyones tackle box. Senkos have been a staple to the fishing industry and a easy and versatile way to rig them is either wacky or texas rig. If you don’t want to retie all the time. I suggest using a 4/0 EWG hook, you can rig the Senko wacky or switch to texas rig for a weedless presentation. Craws can also be used with a EWG hook but best with a flipping hook and a 3/8-1/2oz Bullet or flipping weight. Flukes are fun to use and will require a EWG hook and you can use this weightless as well. This is just the tip of the iceberg and i’m sure you can find a bunch of different ways to rig and use plastics. The best part is you can experiment without adding much cost. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers Henry

#10 N8orDie

N8orDie

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

I hope you got some tubes with that load of bait you bought! Hard to talk about plastics without talking about tubes