3 replies to this topic

#1 Espo

Espo

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction; I am interested in stocking my pond with small mouth bass and perch, however I am unaware of any places that supply those. I know of a couple of trout farms, but no other fish. I have a 2 acre pond that is approximately 15ft deep. I am close to the Orangeville/Shelburne area.

Thank you for all input

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

Try to contact the Ministry of Natural Resources first about stocking fish in your pond...

https://www.ontario....26930&nid=53869

From my understand it's illegal to transport game fish from a body of water to another.

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Also make sure smallies can survive in 15 ft water depth. You may have to end up going with largies. Legally you will most likely have to get permits and such. Like PUMP said contact the MNR.

#4 SKfish

SKfish

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:08 PM

It depends on a couple things... If the pond average is 15ft and some areas are deeper then it will be plenty fine. If the deepest area is 15ft and the average is something like 5 you may need to consider largemouth. It also depends on the bottom and cover/structure. Smallmouth like to spawn on gravel/small rock covered flats. Smallmouth thrive in clearer water thats more rocky. Largemouth thrive in weedier, shallower, ponds and the clarity really isnt an issue as they feed more off of lateral line senses (vibrations etc...) and smell. Good luck!