15 replies to this topic

#1 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hey,

Has anyone purchased one of these kits before? Looking to start fly tying and not sure if this is a good idea to get.

Includes video on tying a few different flys, a clamp vice, and materials.

I'll link the the specific one in looking at:

http://m.basspro.com.../product/27765/

The 99.99 is an American price, it's 124.99 at the bass pro close to me

Thanks guys

#2 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

I got a kit when i first started and all im gonna say is i wouldnt go that route again...yes it can be expensive to get started but well worth the investment

#3 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice @fenwickfisher ! What was it that you'd do differently?

#4 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Check kijiji...some great deals to be had. Usually get a lot more stuff for a lot less $$$$.

#5 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

You will save a lot if you know what patterns you will be tying. Then just buy materials for those patterns and tie away.

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

the vices in those kit are cheap, and usually break really quick.  buy a decent one. materials are relatively cheap figure out 5 flies you want to tie, chances are, they share the same materials. i bought a kit when i first started, i still have half the materials left 3 years later.

#7 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

I was going to buy a kit but in reality I use wet flys and a lot of stuff in kit was for dry flies. Save up for a good vise then every pay day buy materials to tie use pattern. Right now I've only been doing this for a few months but Ive got real good at wholly buggers, egg sucking leaches, wholly worms, and various nymphs. Youtube is a great resource. Have fun

#8 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

Thanks guys! Makes sense to get materials while focusing on a few specific flys first! I really enjoy fishing with Dry flys in smaller creeks, thinking of starting with wooly bugger, elk hair caddis, BWO, and possibly a another mayfly patten or tan caddis. Probably focus on wooly bugger first to get comfortable before trying some of the dry flys

#9 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the advice @fenwickfisher ! What was it that you'd do differently?

Save for a vise....thats what i would have done different i went through 2 cheap ones before i decided to take the plunge and ive had this vise longer than those 2 put together and i tie a lot of flies. Another thing to consider is the jaws of the vise, depending on the size flies you would most likely be tying. You want one that can grip a wide range of hooks without ruining the jaws.

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

start up kits IMO have tons of materials that you will not use for a long time. It's pretty much a mix bag materials just to jack the price. a good vise would cost you $50. Kijiji probably even cheaper. You can save a lot of money if you only buy for the materials you need. also look up the bulk prices of hooks.

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

I would look for a tool kit. Buying all the tools separate will set u back but the cheap ones will get you going for now. Maybe with a cheap vice in the set. Don't buy a good vice till you see if you like tying. And as said just get a few materials to start and add to it

#12 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Personally I would look for something like this
http://www.cabelas.c...per-aa-tool-kit

Attached Images

• 17206-112022.jpg

#13 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

Maybe my search skills are lacking but in way of vices I found very little for sale.

#14 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

Maybe my search skills are lacking but in way of vices I found very little for sale.

Ebay, amazon, individual manufacturer website, facebook flying tying buy and sell groups.

#15 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

I lucked out and got a renzetti traveler from another tier for free. He wanted to pass it on to a new tyer.. and there i was. 

I'd also suggest going down the proper vice route:

- renzetti traveller

- Peak

- moongoose

Ebay is a good source for scissors, bodkins, etc. 

These i've found work amazingly well as hackle pliers and so cheap: http://www.ebay.ca/s...872.m2749.l2658

#16 trouttamer

trouttamer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

I would and wolf vises to the list, I own the apex and am very happy with it. basspro sells wolf products, 100 or more less then renzetti, American manufacturer not overseas also.