• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miso

Miso

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

New to fishing. Bought ugly stick gx2. This is a good rod to start off? Not sure what type of fish I will be targeting just yet. Going to try for whatever bites I guess. Went to rice lake last week and spent 7 hours on the water without even one bite.. Tried everything. Spinners, lures, Baits. Nothing. Just s few pointers on what goes with what fish id really appreciate it.

Thanks ppl

#2 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

I've got some limited experience on Rice Lake. In-laws have a trailer there, no motor boat. So mostly shore fishing.

I find that in-shore is where all the action is. They have a dock and I cast towards the shore for bass. If I cast out into the lake it's pretty slim pickings. I'll sometimes take out a canoe and cruise the shore with pretty good success. And there is a reason why all those bass and walleye boats are out in the middle.

Because of the weeds in the area I typically use a senko rigged texas-style. In more open water I love tossing a mepps, just fun watching them hit it on the retrieve.

I'm usually there in the summer, so no idea what it's like fall/winter/spring.

Never fished the Ugly Stix, but it seems pretty popular.

Enjoy the fishing!

#3 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

Welcome to the Forums Miso!

The Ugly stick is a great rod to start off with when new to fishing. What reel and line might you be using? (These determine what your limited to catching).

You want to use the "lightest" line you can get away with (given the circumstances) and adjust your drag accordingly from there. I mention this because some fish can see your line and wont bite!

Another thing I want to mention is the time of fishing is very important. Generally speaking, mid day heat is the worst time for fishing. Fish slow down in the heat and seek shelter (become much less active). You will get your most action in the hours of Sunrise and sundown.

Points, Weedlines and structures are the main points you want to be fishing. (Anywhere that has a large depth change near structure will hold fish) - Not sure if you have any electronics. Otherwise, fish shorelines, under tree covers (submerged logs and what not). If you can see that the fish are there and you still arent getting bites, try downsizing your bait or changing the way you present it - Fast retrieve, slow retrieve, pauses.

Hope this helps!

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Rice lake. Go deep. deep diving plugs work well for predators...bring worms & leeches and rig 'em like this.

how_to_tie_a_drop_shot_rig.jpg?itok=a9V5