• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

So I was at an east trib, up stream water is so low, fish stuck in pools, well sort of, at least some shade, then i see this, 

image2_zpskbkqyuvj.jpg

https://youtu.be/XMbpr9GWdcY

I hate seeing this type of crap. We stopped to watch them and saw this :(

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Exactly the situation I hate.
Low clear water.
Huge salmon basically penned.
What possible enjoyment could that ever bring.
If I was determined to fish I'd be heading to the mouths just as yourself and your dad did.

#3 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

This was up stream a bit but what challenge is this. It's more Like a slaughter.

#4 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

Wait until you go to a pool at the Wilmont. There was over 50 carcasses thrown into bush (in a pile).. The memory of the stench alone is awful enough... I still don't understand why the people were just catching them and throwing them into the bush...

#5 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

Sadly self rendering site on every river come fall.
A## Holes.

#6 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

I've seen a shopping bag 3/4 full of roe. Just rotting on duffins creek. That's assholes. When will this stop. An those same pr&&ks are the ones saying the fish populations are dying. No shyte

#7 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

gutting salmon for roe will never stop....with the popularity of river fishing on the rise....we will likely see more and more of this crap each year.....sad to say the gut-n-chuck guys are steelheaders collecting eggs for the steelhead season....at least the loogans take their fish home to feed their families....

#8 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

James not all Loogan do.. too many gut males looking for roe.... its a sad cycle.. TBH im not sure what the solution to it is....

#9 Fishbully

Fishbully

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

James not all Loogan do.. too many gut males looking for roe.... its a sad cycle.. TBH im not sure what the solution to it is....

No live bait is a pretty simple solution, if you cant use it why take it? Instating and enforcing it is another story

#10 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

An all out ban on roe would be the ideal remedy.  Another option would be to have a tag system. You would have to have a tag on the fish harvested for roe for an example. You would not just be able to walk along the tribs with a zip lock bag collecting roe anymore. You would have to apply a tag to the fish and remove it from the river.

I have been saying this for a long long time...It's "WHITE TRASH" that are leaving the carcasses. The Asians and Europeans are taking the whole fish to consume. The next time you see "that guy" wearing the high end Simms waders, custom rod, custom reel..... you know the ones... using salmon roe for sacs, chances are, they are the ones who are turfing the carcass into the bushes.

#11 Chunk

Chunk

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

An all out ban on roe would be the ideal remedy.  Another option would be to have a tag system. You would have to have a tag on the fish harvested for roe for an example. You would not just be able to walk along the tribs with a zip lock bag collecting roe anymore. You would have to apply a tag to the fish and remove it from the river.

I have been saying this for a long long time...It's "WHITE TRASH" that are leaving the carcasses. The Asians and Europeans are taking the whole fish to consume. The next time you see "that guy" wearing the high end Simms waders, custom rod, custom reel..... you know the ones... using salmon roe for sacs, chances are, they are the ones who are turfing the carcass into the bushes.

Never having stocked chinooks in the first place would have been the best option.

#12 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

We needed something to eat the alewife.

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Some of the problems have a much more difficult task...i've seen a much more activity at night this season compared to the past...I'm not saying all of the people that fish at night do illegal stuff...but when you comeback next day and there are gutted salmon all over the place that wasn't there the day before....then something really fishy is happening between those times.

#14 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

And created a fantastic charter business.

#15 Chunk

Chunk

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

Steelies, Cohos and Browns were more than enough.

#16 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

I think all us river guys prefer coho over Chinook.
But charter clients want the BIG fish.

#17 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Those species don't focus on alewife like chinook do

#18 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

They claim chinnies actually starved to death rather than alter their diet on Huron. When alewife pop collapsed.

#19 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

People dont know what catch and release is. Most people during the salmon season aren't there for the sport of fishing, but are just there for the fish they can take home for dinner.

#20 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

Dont know why anyone would eat river salmon. They are dying. Like eating a dying cow or similar....I guess it takes all kinds eh !!!