• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

Well with the skinny water all over and warm temps I haven't been able to chase steel as much as I would like. So I decided to avoid the combat fishing last weekend and go for a hike into a stocked lake. Boy was that a good idea.

I caught a few, lost a few, and it was pretty cool to see a them schooling in the shallows. Anyway I love how they look and the bonus was setting a new pb at 16+" :)

Attached Images

• 15 brook trout.jpg
  • 20161111_132801.jpg
  • 20161113_133638.jpg
  • 16 brook trout.jpg

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Thank God for Zone 18 and their stocking program. A bit of research and leg work is all that you need. Thanks  for posting, congrats on your PB.

#3 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

Great looking fish! Way to go!

#4 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

God darn I'm jealous. Beautiful fish.

I've gotta make a trip to a back lake one day. How do you guys decide which one to fish, look up stocking lists and pick one? And what if I can't find the trail in?

#5 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

God darn I'm jealous. Beautiful fish.

I've gotta make a trip to a back lake one day. How do you guys decide which one to fish, look up stocking lists and pick one? And what if I can't find the trail in?

#6 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

The stocking lists are great. I'm not gonna lie though, hiking in the spring is more like running from the bugs.

I believe if a lake is stocked, it means there has to be public access somewhere to it. Google maps is your friend in this case to find access roads. But some trails you definitely have to bushwack.

#7 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Wow, beautiful colours on those fish! Congrats on the pb.

#8 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Gorgeous fish. Great job.

Gotta say I'm envious: caught lotsa fair size bows and several decent brownies this year, but no brookies worth photographing. Congrats

#9 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

You're really bringing back some beautiful old memories with those gorgeous pics!

It seems like a million years since I used to go into the backwoods near Algonquin park with my friend and his step-dad who knew the area, as he was an ex-game warden and knew all the good streams.

We were just kids, and I can remember catching the prettiest little Brookies in crystal-clear, moss-covered streams that were so narrow that you could just step over them, and if you were thirsty you could drink the water with no ill effects at all!

Such great times, and so long ago, I'd almost forgotten about them.

Thank you so much for sharing your post with us!

All the best of luck in the future...

Cheers!

Simon