Photo

New reel/line recommendations - gear has advanced!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 altiplano

altiplano

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

I'm in the market for some new gear after losing most everything during a move from the West coast.

As I read and browse online I realise fishing gear has changed... It's like learning it all over... I still have my rods though and will continue with them... But I could use some help/advice.

#1 I need new reels.

Previously I ran Lamson LPs - a 3.5 on a 8 wt and a 2.0 on a 5 weight.

I'm supposing a large arbour type is what everyone is using now, I've never fished one though.

Looking at a Sage 4200 or Lamson Litespeed IV - I guess from familiarity - the Lamsons I owned were made by Sage and I liked them alot... or I don't know, being a BC boy, maybe I'll break the bank and buy Islanders...

When I bought those Lamsons 20 years ago I was a kid and I went for broke to get them... I thought they were it and I'd fish them 'til I died. They still did run great too... The next reels I get I have the same idea and they have big shoes to fill... I want reels that I will enjoy a lifetime of fishing with...

I'd like to hear from anyone using any of these or if not what are you running? What do you like?

8 wt is a Sage 896RPL and will be a steelhead/salmon rod.

5 wt is a Orvis PM10 and will be a trout rod with occasional steelhead/salmon exposure.

I plan on fishing almost exclusively rivers locally, but both rigs may see some salt use down the line.

#2 Lines to run.

On the 8 wt I fished a shooting head mostly, and also a dry line for summer steelhead on dry flies.
On the 5 wt I fished a floating line and a sink tip in rivers.

I'm reading a lot about Skagit heads which sound pretty versatile and fun to fish on a single handed rod. I wonder if maybe I'm just keying on the name because the Skagit (on the Canadian side) was my home river in BC...

But these sound like the way I might want to fish both trout and steelhead going forward... Anyone using these for steelhead out here? Can anyone explain the setup a bit?

Anyway...

Just a start, more questions to come as I get more info on what's of there now - I look forward to hearing any and all comments and would like to hear what you are running on the rivers.

Cheers for now and tight lines.

altiplano in Hamilton

#2 altiplano

altiplano

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Seriously though...

I'm looking at a Skagit line setup... Definitely on the 8, maybe the 5 also.

Can someone explain the setup, weights etc a little for me?

I'm specifically looking at OPST's commando heads.

http://www.opskagit.com/products.html

So I run my backing, then a running line ie. OPST Lazer line, then a commando head (weight?), then I can interchange a set of commando sink tips (I think 132grn), then my leader, tapered, maxima, whatever...

Do I have the gist of it right? Could use help with the weight of the shooting head I should be looking with my rods...

I suppose also with a loop to loop system I could take the head/tips off and switch to a different weight head to accommodate a different rod/reel combo quickly?

Another question, these are all sink tips - can I use a floating tip with a skagit line ie. dryfly? or how do I accommodate that? Switch the whole set up back to the running line out?

Look forward to any comments for wrapping my head around these line systems.

Cheers.

#3 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

You have the setup correct. Off of the sink tips just run like 3 to 4 feet of level mono tippet. No need for a tapered leader on a sink tip. You can definitely use a floating tip on a Skagit with a tapered leader but it won't be pretty. Maybe get a spare spool rigged with a normal line system for that type of work

#4 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

And for the weight you need for a commando I would contact opst directly

#5 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Have you been up to Grindstone Angling in Waterdown? They might have all your answers (they do for my much simpler questions).

Cheers

#6 altiplano

altiplano

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thanks S4S.
That's the info I wanted. I'll chase down the weight recommendation direct from OPST. I too am starting to think I'll need an extra spool to fish dry fly, might experiment a bit first..

B-
I have been in there, they were certainly nice and good to talk with and had some suggestions: They recommended some longer integrated lines, told me maybe the short Skagit heads might be too difficult to cast and too expensive once I'm set with tips. That might be the case and I'll find myself picking up one after, but I think I want to at least try the OPST heads/tips first.

#7 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Opst recommends going down 75-100 grains when compared you an original Skagit head. Unless you are dead set on throwing T type tips and/or large flies I would consider using a less clunky line. I use a wulff ambush TT 8wt on my single hander and it roll casts and spey casts nicely singlehanded, also lines like an airflow 40+ work well overhead or spey cast. Single speys and snakes are easy and quicker than sustained anchor single hand casts...  If I was set on a Skagit setup then a 2 hander would no doubt be first choice. Just a thought.