• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

I only started fishing for these guys late in the summer this year after happening to catch a decent one on corn in my favourite carp hole.

So I decided to set up to target them specifically, just to see what was hanging around the area.

Most of my fishing was done in the very early morning while still dark, using a whole black tiger shrimp plus two frozen smelts on a single big hook as my bait at first, then switching to large cut shiner minnows that I caught myself with my fly rod.

I found that I had much better luck with a big load of cut shiners on my hook than anything else.

Anyway, here's a good one that my wife, Sharon, caught on an evening trip...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Simon

IMG_6504_1_2.jpg

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:22 PM

Right on

#3 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Nice one!

I wish we had a spot in the GTA to catch Cannels.  I caught my first one last year and it felt like I was snagged on the bottom. 

#4 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

Thanks guys!

They are definitely pretty tough customers and a really good-sized one will test your gear to the max. 

I've never caught one 'til I moved down to this area.

Lots of smaller ones are easy to come by using worms, but you also get a lot of sheepsheads ripping at your worms and amazingly swallowing even the biggest hooks (I don't know how they manage to do it!).

Larger cut dead bait seems to be the way to go, as it seems to discourage the smaller cats and other "undesirables

Cheers!

Simon

#5 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Here's the biggest one that I got... around the 36" mark easily, I'd say. Fought like the very Devil. Surprised the heck out of me!

IMG_6488_1_1.jpg

Please pardon the crappy pic - camera on tripod and self-timer (and likely the wrong setting), low light, fish flopping, and me totally astounded and a bit in shock, LOL!

We both managed to survive, though.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Simon

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Awesome catch! I used to target cats a lot. the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish.

#7 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

Awesome catch! I used to target cats a lot. the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish.

Thanks!

You're absolutely right about bait size for these fellows - they definitely love a big mouthful don't they?

What was your favourite bait to use?

I'm trying to learn as much as possible, to be ready for next year, as I know that there are even larger specimens in the river. Some years ago, a friend and I found the remains of a truly massive dead one, which I think someone had caught and sadly just killed and left on the bank to rot, such a horrible crime!

I can't wait to get at them in the spring-time.

Cheers!

Simon