• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TasteTheRainbow

TasteTheRainbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

I was looking at these fish finder and they look pretty good. I am looking for something small I can take ice fishing and also I am looking at getting into kayak fishing this spring and it looks as if it would also do well. I was just wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experience with these fish finders. Thank you and tight lines

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

My buddies got one that hes used a few seasons ice fishing in thunderbay, he seems to like it but notes that 50+ feet of water gets tough to pick up you bait. Also because the unit has to pair to a device the unit its pairing too drains pretty quickly especially in the cold. Highly suggest bringing an external battery source to keep your phone/tablet warm and juiced up

#3 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Basic portable Humminbird unit + ice transducer and you're set.

If you want fancier features like side or down imaging, gps, large screen, etc, look to spend more. For entry-level use, I did not miss them. 

When ice fishing, it's a depth finder, a fish finder, and a lure tracker. You can play fish accordingly. 

In the summer in deep water, you lose the ability to track your lure accurately due to currents. Thus, it becomes more of a depth finder and structure reader. You can find depth, thermocline, structure, bottom contour, drop offs, and perhaps springs. 

I've successfully honed in on fish in around 30 fow in the summer, this was in a deep river, in a section with minimal current. They ended up being smallmouths. But don't expect to track and follow lakers in the summer like you do on the ice. Learn where fish will be holding in relation to wind direction, season, etc. 

The battery with the Humminbird unit lasts all day, I've never had it run out, even in winter. 

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Yea you cant beat a 12v in cold weather conditions.

#5 TasteTheRainbow

TasteTheRainbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

What hummingbird model would you recommend for a Intro unit that can serve for ice fishing and do some kayak fishing with.

Thanks for the info.

#6 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

I got mine at Sail a few years ago, I think it's black and white. Not sure how much the units have changed since then. Came in under $200 I think. And the ice transducer was less than $100 iirc. My unit was not specifically listed for compatibility with the ice ducer, however they are compatible. 

#7 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

PiranhaMax  150, 160 or 190. Nice units , I have been using the 150 for about 7-8 years now. It's not a top notch unit by any meens but it does its job on the ice and on the soft water.

#8 LuisFisher

LuisFisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

Deeper pro is ok, you should consider Garmin Striker 4, good for both kayak fishing and ice fishing.

#9 TasteTheRainbow

TasteTheRainbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys but I think I may be grabbing the garmin striker 4 it looks as if it can do the job well and it is easy on the wallet.