Photo

Centre Pins

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

To this day I've never seen a single person ever reach their backing using a centre pin. I own a couple of Robb's reels and highly recommend them. Ber reels, IMO, won't have any resale value if you want to change reels.

Happens every fall on the river.
I'll be playing a fish in front of me and suddenly there's orange line racing into my mono.Than a guy appears around the bend screaming fish coming down. Lol I really don't care about losing a fish. Just want to see it first.

#22 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

Tossing Iron...are you referring to main line as backing???...beacause most pinners I know run at least 150 metres or so of mono before they get into their backing. It is inconceivable that anyone fishing a small, winding, crowded trib could be into their backing "coming round a corner".

Bird..I would also consider the Canada Drifter or Rainmaker by Canada Fishing Reels

#23 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Tossing Iron...are you referring to main line as backing???...beacause most pinners I know run at least 150 metres or so of mono before they get into their backing. It is inconceivable that anyone fishing a small, winding, crowded trib could be into their backing "coming round a corner".

Bird..I would also consider the Canada Drifter or Rainmaker by Canada Fishing Reels

exactly, i've never been into the backing on my fly rod, and thats only 100ft of fly line.  Probably someone using this 

500-0.jpg

#24 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

thanks everyone now decissions but no BER.

#25 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Never really thought about it.
Possibly could be braid?
Have no idea how you guys spool em.
Sure cuts mono like butter though.

#26 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

I love my pin but it's not a fancy one. I've held a BER and honestly unless it feels better in the water it's not for me. I've been to my backing once, fishing in the lake where Cobourg creek empties, freaking thing went crazy, thought I was going to have to call my sister in Rochester to net it for me. I run 14pound main but mainly because I got sick of loosing gear. running 8lbs shot line with 5 leader. I've never cut through anyone line.

#27 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Would only be an issue if we both crossed paths with fish on Big.
Or hung up on bottom.
Obviously your 14 would go through my 6 like a buzz saw.
This is all I'm trying to get across.
And River runs.You'll never see me on a small winding creek.
Has to be high and dirty.
You pins must have a 1000 yards of line.
I've been spooled 2 in one morning on my 1000 FJ 110 yd cap.
Both hit and headed back to lake.

#28 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Tossing...you must carry extra line with you to get spooled twice in a morning
Just curious...what type of rod do you use? With a drag and long rod you should be able to put the brakes on most fish...but I can see a hot one hooked at the mouth of a river taking off

#29 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Tossing...you must carry extra line with you to get spooled twice in a morning
Just curious...what type of rod do you use? With a drag and long rod you should be able to put the brakes on most fish...but I can see a hot one hooked at the mouth of a river taking off

I carry an extra spool ready to go.
That day I lost both in the first half hour.I timed things perfect to be on the first fresh run.I use an original Lorne Greene Loomis blank 11' I built in the early 8o's.I admit more so for steel not hos or chins.Its a guessing issue. If I feel this fish ain't stopping and I yank back right away I just lose my hook.
Sometimes I do my best and wait trying to slow her down and end up losing the spool.Only an issue first run. Lol

#30 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Yes.
Been doing this a long time and love it to this day.
Not my first rodeo.
Only time I get bored is opener.
Fish in a barrel.
Only time I don't get bored is fall steel.
Every fish is different.
And all ballistic. Love it

#31 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Shouldn't be on the river if you are using less than 6lb test for bows. You are playing them too long and increasing chance of mortality.

Exactly. My using a spinning reel with 6-1 retrieve means I'm landing my fish 6 times quicker than a one to one ratio pin. Lol

#32 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thats not true at all. Depends where you fisj and rod quality. Small water Meaford, nine mile, bayfield and smaller lake huron tribs no problem. Lake Ontario much bigger fish amd lots of big water. Most guys i know on huron tribs all run 8 and 4 to 6 lb lead. I have released a ton of fish and not ever have i released one that was not healthy to release. If bleeding or wore out and wont revive supper for my wife. Saugeen, Maitland Notti and bigger water 10 main and 6 to 8 floro. I dont fish Lake Ontario just stay close to home anymore. Anyhow we all fish for enjoyment and just are so lucky we live where we do. Tight lines to all.

#33 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

What's not true Bird.
The math . Lol

#34 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

No saying you should not be on the river using under 6lb test. Depends on water and rod quality light medium or heavy action rod. Math has nothing to do with it 5 lb Drennan no problem in the waters i fish most of the time.

#35 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

I never said not to use under 6.
I actually went with 4lb main one opener on the Ganny.
All the wind tangles alone made the idea a real pain in the ass.

#36 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

No was not you it was tacklelogic that said that. But we all will always have our own oppinions that is what makes life interesting.

#37 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

PS
I don't use leaders.
Main line size I'm talking.
One knot plenty for me. Lol

#38 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yes i always use floro lead but not saying i am correct just how i seem to be most productive.

#39 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Stop listening to fishing commercials.
Can the expense of floro leaders and tie directly to your 6:lb test.
I guarantee you'll catch just as many.

#40 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Please.
Someone explain to me the difference between clear mono and besides the extra cost.
The difference using floro. Lol