• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 ApacheFishingVentures

ApacheFishingVentures

Sunfish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

It's funny how catch and release is more popular than ever thanks to the power of social media... yet the runs keep getting smaller... i don't think you need scientific evidence to conclude that water quality is obviously the main issue here.

#62 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Ontario water report 2014
Released March 18 , 2016.
Search yourself and come to your own conclusion.
Seem to have come a long ways to me.

#63 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

the amount of silt in the systems is crazy, they are way over due for a clean out

#64 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

Biomas.

A river can only sustain so much ( number of fry,par, fish). With the INVAISION (ya in caps), of Chinook Salmon, competition for food at the various stages of life of each species.

If the water/river conditions are so poor, why are the Salmon populations on an incline?  Chinook were originally suppose to be a PUT GROW TAKE fishery. Creeks and Rivers east of Bowmanville have not been stocked in decades yet the rivers are bursting at the seams with salmon.

#65 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Chinook are reproducing. The difference is juvenile Chinook smolt out at a way earlier stage than rainbows. They spend very little time in the creek. Juvenile rainbows spend the summer in the river, and have a tough time with the warm water temps.

#66 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Good point Swing.
Exactly why our braintrust have decided to concentrate on the much less sensitive and much more resilient Atlantic salmon.

#67 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Good point Swing.
Exactly why our braintrust have decided to concentrate on the much less sensitive and much more resilient Atlantic salmon.

Oh - you mean the ones they've been stocking since 1985 without any success at all?

#68 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Oh - you mean the ones they've been stocking since 1985 without any success at all?

No success.?
I've been keeping my allowable limit since 1987 .
Delicious.

#69 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

Yup, you guys are right.

It is a total waste of time this Atlantic Salmon stocking program. The stream rehabilitation, stomach content studies, and new state of the art fish counter at the ganaraska river to name a few which were funded solely through the ASP would not happen any other way. But I guess these projects only solely benefit Atlantic Salmon, they would have no benefit to the other cold water species. You guys don't get it, there wouldn't be any money to improve habitat and various studies like the Thymine deficiencies which was discovered fully funded by the ASP. 

Instead of bickering on here, why don't you guys get off the key board and contribute some of your oh so valuable time and put something back into the fishery. There are way too many arm chair biologists these days.

#70 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

It is a waste of time, and money, and hatchery space.

I'm sure the ganny steelhead fishery will thrive with 70-100,000 atlantic yearlings stocked on top of hatching wild steelhead and fingerlings.

A state of the art counter? How much did that cost? I'm sure that's well worth it

Over 13 million stocked and how many returns?? there should be thousands by now...

Conservation efforts are great but we don't need the atlantic program to focus on things like stream rehab etc. Several other clubs work hard and effort would be better spent with these clubs than working on some fairy tale atlantic fishery. The same goes for hatchey space, what a waste! They could be used for a number of other series that would actually be beneficial. We have a proven steelhead fishery that works and instead of embracing that, the MNR and OFAH want to experiment and potential decimating the wild fishery that exists already.  

#71 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Well thought out and written Huron.
Controversial subject.
Doing my part Tacklelogic.
Flushing Atlantics down my home toilet.
Cutting out the middle man.

#72 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

I hear Atlantic roe works well these days.

#73 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

[quote name="fishfreek" post="339137" timestamp="1489953673"]

I hear Atlantic roe works well these days.[/quote

Awe . You turning on me FF?
You all know I'm right on keeping any ripe females. DON'T
GOOD LUCK ON EVEN FINDING AN ATLANTIC.
Never mind a ripe one. Lol

#74 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hey you owe me an outing from last year, lets align  our off days and hit the river old timer LOL.

#75 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

For sure.
Your on.
Your kneck of the woods even.
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow or Tues.
Water permitting.

#76 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Maybe Tuesday am for a few hours. I'll be coming off n/s, play it by ear (or water levels).

#77 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hydrometric graph looks good.
Out tomorrow.
I'll let you know.

#78 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yes Sir.

#79 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

the amount of silt in the systems is crazy, they are way over due for a clean out

I get ya.
One of my favourite pools on Bronte is like standing in quick sand?
Educate me please.
From what I've read the silt builds up at dams.
Is there some kind of maintenance schedule to clean out these areas ?

#80 Disco

Disco

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Clean out the silt areas? Lol clean out the silt more settles. The river bank stabilization and reforestation to stop erosion is the answer to silt issues. Also planting trees helps lower river temps and hold more ground water. Spring high melts blow out built up silt but this takes us actually getting accumulated snow and bank protection to not allow the blow out high water to rip apart banks.

In addition farm land needs buffers between the rivers and the crops. Storm water needs to be managed by bigger and better storm water ponds.

The problem is huge and the answers are complicated but we have made gains in many areas.

Housing now requires storm water ponds where they did not used to. Trees are planted and some buffer zones have been created. Dams have been dismantled in some head waters. Some ponds have been taken off line of head water areas.

We just need to keep going and protect the entire river and lake environments and make restitution for our forefathers mistakes.